VDoT In Northern Amherst County

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Does anyone know if VDoT in Amherst County might be using STARS?
Or, some alternate 47 MHz frequency?

I have been listening to VDoT Ch-24 (47.24000 w/94.8 Hz tone) since lunchtime on Monday, but have only heard three transmissions, all weak.

I am specifically interested in communications in the Pleasant View/Pedlar Mills area of the county if anyone has information. (Buffalo Springs Turnpike, between Hwy-130 and Hwy-60.)

VDoT channel plan;
Department of Transportation Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Thank you in advance...

kb4cvn

Silent Key
A bit more info on this:

Listening to surrounding area frequencies, copied traffic for Northern Amherst County on 47.2800 MHz (Ch 39) between the Forks of Buffalo office (WNMH612) and several plow trucks. It sounds like it is going through a repeater. FCC Search shows the closest repeater on that frequency is down in Campbell County, near Rustburg.

Also, when doing some research, stumbled across this frequency website: https://www.google.com/fusiontables...QhuA_92NDDXy7OU2n8yPpFxFo1CsZbg9jFY#rows:id=1

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
VDOT STARS-Albemarle?

I too am wondering what channels on STARS VDOT uses for my area. I know we have a Residency in Shadwell and other locations, just wondering what channels they use.

kjtittle84

Yeah I would like to know what frequencies they use here in Hampton Roads. The only channel I pick up is traffic safety patrol (smart traffic) that assist stranded motorists. In Tennessee it was easy and a simple VHF frequency up on Holston Mt that covered several counties in Northeast Tennessee.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Frequency pair for Amherst County confirmed earlier today. Followed a VDoT truck almost halfway across the county while driving into Lynchburg today on an errand. He spoke with the AHQ at the Forks of Buffalo (WNMH612) on Highway 60 on several occasions.

Apparently with the three Amherst County Area Headquarters (AHQ's) offices being managed by the Appomattox Residency, they have moved comms to Channel-39.

REPEATER OUTPUT: 47.28000
REPEATER INPUT: 45.90000

Still sorting the tone out, as I have observed both 110.9 Hz and 114.8 Hz frequencies being used.

Also not sure which 47.280 repeater is being used. The closest one I am aware of is on Long Mountain in Rustburg (Campbell County), KIE817.

But I have also been told that VDoT has installed a repeater atop Tobacco Row Mountain (aka: "T-Row" or "High Peak") in Amherst County, but I can't find a license to support this.

All comments welcome.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Callsign for 47.2800 Repeater

Finally managed to hear the CW id callsign for the repeater on 47.2800 MHz that VDoT is using in my area, were I could copy it down: KNBA904

Now, here is the weird part, the callsign on the FCC database comes back as a "Temporary Fixed" license. This might explain while I never found one on-file with a physical location in Amherst County.

Here is the URL for anyone interested:

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KNBA904 - VIRGINIA, COMMONWEALTH OF

Status
Not open for further replies.