Knoxville, TN - E-911 Radio System Needs Replacing Quickly, Say Officials

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
This is an thorn in Knox County officials side right now Ron. A couple of the County big dogs tried some slick and probably illegal tactics to try to get the new system awarded on sole contractor thing to Harris, but the facts about the Harris bids kinda shot that down. (No radios supplied etc...) The 3 vendors in on the re submit are still Harris, Motorola, and Tait, with Harris having to completely redo their offering for the upgrade of the Smart Zone to P25 to something that actually would make sense. I am unsure on when the next hearings on this are. I also suspect that the State AG is going to be watching this one closely this time.

zachgallop

Harris, Motorala, and Tate have no reason to supply radios .Because they already have the XTS2500 and XTS5000, which are both P25 and Smartnet capable. Also only about 10 users have MTS2000, which are in the process of being replaced.

radiomanNJ1

Sometimes there are things you are not aware of.

Are the radios actually flashed for P25 not just digital? They will not do phase 2 if they look at that.
Are they looking at encryption? AES256 multi key is required for interoperability.

XTS2500 version A radios are no longer supported by Motorola and parts for them such as a controller are no longer available.

Harris, Motorala, and Tate have no reason to supply radios .Because they already have the XTS2500 and XTS5000, which are both P25 and Smartnet capable. Also only about 10 users have MTS2000, which are in the process of being replaced.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Correct Knox County/City of Knoxville is basically going to completely replace the Smart Zone with an full upgrade to P25 and from what I have heard they want it to be compatible with the TACN for interop purposes. I am unsure if they will now add the County Fire Services which a lot of are Rural/Metro on VHF high band. One department is P25 capable on the VHF as of now.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
We were all taught since childhood that, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Some on the Knox County E-911 Board, including the KPD Chief have violated the Open Meetings Act. They have admitted breaking the law but said they were not aware they were. Knoxville/Knox County prosecutors, do your jobs.

Of course we have federal presidence when James Clapper lied under oath to congress about spying on Americans and the DOJ just sat on their hands.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
LOL, I love the following things the media messed up on: The official name of the system is the Tennessee Advanced Communication Network. The original TVRCS was folded into the TACN well over an year ago. Its an Statewide system, not regional anymore. I also love that one of the original founders of this whole thing may actually use it.... Political games at their finest. And they have to know that they only have 2 options actually: Have Motorola upgrade their system and merge it into an TACN simulcast site. Have Harris completely rebuild the system into an P25IP, and link it via ISSI. If they want the full funding from outside, then they will be going full on TACN. But we shall see.

ButchGone

HMMM...TVRCS "folded" into TACN? Actually, it is one of several systems that share common infrastructure linked to provide regional or statewide coverage. TVRCS also has it's own board of directors.
BG..

click23

Premium Subscriber
The two Knox County TACN towers are licensed to Knox County 911.

And a bit of info from TACNs website, About TACN, that states that TVRCS is part of the TACN, as well as systems owned by THP and the Tennessee Department of Corrections:

The Tennessee Advanced Communications Network is an APCO P25 network and consists of three master server sites dividing the system into three zones. Zone 1 is owned by the TDOC and is located in Nashville controlling all correctional facilities and other radio sites throughout middle Tennessee. Zone 2 is owned by TVRCS and in located in Chattanooga and is controlling sites in NW Georgia and East Tennessee. The third zone is owned by the Tennessee Highway Patrol and is located in Jackson and controls radio sites in West Tennessee. All three zones are connected by a microwave backbone so that all communications can have access to any site in the system provided they have sufficient permissions in the network controllers. Regional Network Operational Centers are located in Chattanooga, Nashville and Jackson. They give the State of Tennessee technicians visibility of all network assets and can act as a backup to each other should a Network Operations Center be offline. The network is also monitored by Motorola in their System Support Center by trained operators to detect any issues that may occur no matter when it happens. TACN provides mobile coverage at 97% reliability over most of the entire State of Tennessee and Northwest Georgia. Enhanced Portable coverage is required around major cities and where Local Governments have joined with the State in providing that for their operations.

zachgallop

ENCRPTION

I heard that they plan to fully encrypt the law enforcement agencies. Does anyone know, if this is true? Sorry for my tittle being spelled wrong.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I have not heard anything about full encryption, though there will be some encryption on Tacs etc for LE. At this juncture, all we can do is guess really, as there has been no official announcements as to who will do the P25 upgrades etc yet, or if they will go TACN (Best bet in my opinion.) Hopefully we will hear something on this in the next 30 days.

zachgallop

Does anyone know when the next 911 board meeting is? And I was wondering should I go ahead and buy the BCD436HP for the new system? Or should I wait? Does anyone know if their will be a new scanner capable of Nexedge for Sevier County?

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
June 17th @ 8:30 a.m. Doubtful on NXDN scanner anytime soon, but Sevier SO is encrypted anyway.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
AOR has one out now. Whistler has planning and thats all you will get said until they suddenly pop it out. They keep things pretty quiet until they want to tease you. Sevier went fully encrypted on the Land Air NexEDGE TRS. And everything we find on it gets encrypted the second we mention it. Which would include even garbage trucks if we found them lol... Truly paranoid and messed up barely legally set up systems there anyway.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
There's a TON more to the Knox system that meets the eye.

When they built that, there was underhandedness in how it rolled out. There were not enough towers, and they had to beg people to jump onto the system to have enough users.

Then, some county deputies almost got killed due to a mile wide dead spot, forcing a system redesign.

Central Communications and the system owners have been under the table buddies for years.

When the Harris thing popped up, I laughed, because I knew that the little clique would never let that fly, and they didn't. The people that should have been attending meetings didn't, sent some people that didn't know better, and just rubberstamped whatever these underlings brought back.

SO

they had to do a bunch of backpedalling at the last minute, and unapprove the Harris deal. Unless Harris properly bribes the Sheriff and a couple other key players, there won't be anything in there but batwings.

That system is rickety, though. Previous Sheriff built his own radio system to the tune of thousands and thousands of secret dollars trying to get away from e911 for whatever his reason. It sits today, doing pretty much nothing. I think maybe they are running in car data off of one of the channels, but don't quote me.

Far as the encryption, I tried and tried to get people to call their state reps, and tried to get a law passed mandating as little encrypting as necessary, but no one wanted to help. So, now the roane county highway department is typically encrypted. Because they can.

Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.