• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NEED HELP PLEASE GE Ericsson Orion 900 MHZ Two Way Radio w/ Remote Head & Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kastrinelis

Hello all,

I have recently moved on to a GE Ericsson Orion 900 MHZ Two Way Radio w/ Remote Head & Mic. I am really excited about the unit as it will cover all my needs in my vehicle without having multiple radios and or big eye sores in my vehicle. but here is my issues. I need help installing it and getting it setup. Can I reset the radio without using computer software? can I program it without computer software. I did have it power up the other day and it lite up, but now today when it powers up the screen and key pad lights up then shut off but the radio remains on. If I hit a button on the remote head it makes the function beep, but no illumination. I am in a little over my head but I really want to get this unit working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,234

FDRadioguy777

Well most likely you will need the software to program it unless it has DFE, but that's only good for conventional anyways. It sounds like it could be a faulty display,bricked radio, or possibly a short in the cable. Can you access anything on the radio menu?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
To get anywhere with that Orion you will need Programmer (probably R18) and the SC4 file to push it into the ham bands. If it has not been hardware modified you wont get very far into the band, if at all, before the PLL unlocks.

Sounds like either the display has burnt out or the radio isn't talking to it properly.

Best to get it to someone with experience that can set it up for you.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If you turned the brightness to zero, I think it will have the same effect. I seem to recall that on Orion's, but I would need to test that tomorrow to be sure.
Try pressing the menu button and the up paddle (from memory, can't remember if the right or left, I think right).

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the delayed reply. I checked an Orion and I could set the backlight to zero which totally blanked the display.
The LEFT paddle adjusts that menu option once selected.
If you don't know what menu option you were on last, you probably have nothing to lose by pressing menu, going up one, selecting it and trying the left paddle. You might eventually end up backlight.

If you could program it, y ou could also read it out, check and change the backlight setting and re-write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.