• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC7500 console alert tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the HZ tone for the MDC7500 console. I am trying to figure out the typical single alert tone that console uses.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I think you mean MCC7500. If so:

Alert 1 = Steady 1,000 Hz

Alert 2 = Alternating 1,500 Hz and 900 Hz

Alert 3 = 1,000 Hz on and off

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much for information. is there anyway to program a minitor vi to alert to each of these alert settings?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much for information. is there anyway to program a minitor vi to alert to each of these alert settings?
NO!

These tones are audible only for users on the street to get their attention. Dispatch sends out these tones to to alert people to listen up. They are NOT for activating pagers.

If someone at dispatch is trying to tell you that these are pager tones, they are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

N0BDW

are you by chance talking like weather alert tones?? like emergency alert system tones? you struck a curiousity cord with myself now haha

Little different. You can read more about the weather alert tones here:

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Area_Message_Encoding

The tones the OP is talking about are typically used on public safety channels as an audible alert to responders. Our dispatchers use them to advise when assignments are changing channels, when there is a bulletin/announcement for the whole system (vs individual agencies), etc.

sfd119

NO!

These tones are audible only for users on the street to get their attention. Dispatch sends out these tones to to alert people to listen up. They are NOT for activating pagers.

If someone at dispatch is trying to tell you that these are pager tones, they are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

I don't think he's trying to use it as a pager tone, rather, he wants his pager to alert when it hears these attention tones. Perhaps, a buff, that knows when those alerts go out it's usually for the "good stuff" on the radio and not mundane traffic stops.

N0BDW

I don't think he's trying to use it as a pager tone, rather, he wants his pager to alert when it hears these attention tones. Perhaps, a buff, that knows when those alerts go out it's usually for the "good stuff" on the radio and not mundane traffic stops.

I'm not sure I understand the difference. Not a pager tone but wants it to alert? Pager tones are how you make pagers alert.

Sorry if I'm just not following.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Either way, it does not matter.

The unsolvable problem is that console alert tones are totally dependent on how long the dispatcher chooses to leave his (or her) finger on the button. That basically disqualifies the tone as a possible way to trip the pager.

When I dispatched law enforcement, we used a couple of short beeps just to get the street's attention for minor announcements. A long press on the tone button was a way of clearing the air and letting the street know that a critical message would follow.

When we did fire and ems dispatch, the console alert tone followed regular paging tones, but was just a "heads up" thing with no fixed timing.

Any way you look at it, no fixed tone duration means it won't reliably trip a pager.

sfd119

Either way, it does not matter.

The unsolvable problem is that console alert tones are totally dependent on how long the dispatcher chooses to leave his (or her) finger on the button. That basically disqualifies the tone as a possible way to trip the pager.

I understand and I know it probably won't work. But I think that's the line of thinking OP was going along with.

Status
Not open for further replies.