Halifax area digital modes (DMR/MotoTRBO/P25/NXDN/others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfxChris

Database Admin
One of our members was able to sleuth out the bridge commission's new MotoTRBO system, and it was added to the database last night. Check it out if you can.

This prompted me to download and configure DSD+, and after much frigging around with it I got it to decode reliably. Also found out my discriminator mod on my Pro-97 had fell apart, which probably explains why TRUNK88 hadn't been too happy with the signal it was getting lately.

Seems there's quite a bit of digital around, more so than I had realized. Might be interesting to get a little discussion going on identified systems or repeaters.

I'll get the ball rolling. I noticed a bunch of frequencies licensed to "4D Networks Ltd," and their website states they're a 2 way rental company in Halifax (with another operation in Moncton as well). With the help of DSD+ and DMRDecode I've been able to determine that it's a Motorola Capacity Plus system, with the following frequencies:

Most activity would be business users, so activity at night when I'm home is practically nil. Still though I am seeing activity on talkgroup 10, haven't quite been able to identify the users yet, and I've also seen talkgroups 1, 9, 19 and 22 show up as well.
This could very well be one of the alternatives for business users when TMR-1 shuts down.

I'll add this system to the database tonight. Anyone else playing around with decoding any of these digital modes?

blacktop

Feed Provider
Funny that you threw this out....I had done a lot of band scanning just this week to get 'caught up' with the frequencies carrying digital transmissions. Good addition....

krw

Feed Provider
SdrSharp and DSD+, as well as an r820 dongle is how I manage to listen to them. I'm not sure if a discriminator tap would work as I've never tried it that way.

darrylcn

Ahh ok. I don't necessarily want to hear them if what I've listened to from them in the past is an indication, it's just never good to lose anyone/a group. Thanks for the reply.

hfxChris

Database Admin
DSD+ with a discriminator tapped scanner will work, that's how I've been listening, no problems.
It's a bit finicky trying to follow a TRBO trunked system like that 4D Communications one (Capacity Plus), there's four frequencies, and since it's TDMA each of those frequencies has two slots for voice communications, so eight logical voice "channels" for the conversation to bounce around, and DSD+ only decodes what you feed into it. No trunk following.

I tell you, the first manufacturer to include DMR/TRBO decoding and trunking is going to make a fortune, so many agencies seem to be switching to this.

Agencies such as...

hfxChris

Database Admin
Halifax Stanfield International Airport has a system going which krw pointed out to me earlier. Frequencies are:

DSD+ reports it as a Capacity Plus trunked system, like the 4D one above. Seems to be a mix of encrypted (which I wish DSD+ would mute) and some non-encrypted traffic as well. I'll probably spend some time over the next few days trying to identify some users...

ty12122

Dalhousie University MotoTrbo Repeaters:

Dalhousie DalPlex Kenwood Digital:

Status
Not open for further replies.