Yaesu: VX-4R?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiowawez

Always been a Yaesu junkie. For QSO's & scanning, they can't be beat. Modding them is fairly simple also. The VX-2R & 6 are my favorites. Hoping a 4R version is in the works. Anyone hear any rumors about a new mini in the near future?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Always been a Yaesu junkie. For QSO's & scanning, they can't be beat. Modding them is fairly simple also. The VX-2R & 6 are my favorites. Hoping a 4R version is in the works. Anyone hear any rumors about a new mini in the near future?
Nope.

But I like them too...had a FT-60, had a VX-1R, have a VR-500, have a VX-8R, and re-acquired a VX-1R.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It seems doubtful that a VX-4R is on the horizon. The 3R is still being sold and with the recent introduction of the inexpensive knock-off versions, I'm not sure a market is there for the R&D that would go into it. I still enjoy my VX-3R and VR-500 radios as it is.

P.S. If you can locate a Miracle Ducker IL tuner, you'll enjoy nice reception with a BNC antenna. I use a Diamond RH77CA with mine on the VR-500. It also works with the 3R with an adapter, but busting off the antenna stub is a concern.
Miracle Ducker IL QRP Antenna Tuner

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Is your VR-500 display going south? Bought mine new in 2002, well cared for, but in the last year vertical columns of pixels are coming and going. Otherwise the radio works fine.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have observed and read about those line issues, but never observed it on the two I own. Yes, I liked it so much I bought another. Both were used. I wonder if it is sunlight, heat, or just faulty screens. The two I own were made in March and August of 2009. I use one of them almost daily. The other, once or twice a month.

PACNWDude

I am limping my VX-2R along with the extra parts purchased a few years back. This is due to the lack of easy modifications to the VX-3R. Having a small handheld radio that let me test radio racks on board ships was beneficial.
These ships had an AM aviation radio, an Icom A-110, two Icom IC-M602 VHF Marine radios, an Icom HF SSB, and Motorola VHF and UHF commercial band radios mounted (FM). The VX-2R let me check all of them for function. Some of my co-workers began buying the Beofeng's as they became popular for the same purpose.
If Yaesu makes a VX-4R, I hope they base it off of the 2R.
(My VX-7R gets a lot of use also.)
Great little handheld radios for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.