Pro-668 firmware upgrade - what worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnet158

I was only able to get my Win 7 64 bit pc. It might work on win 32bit but I don't have any pc's running 32 bit.

1. Recognize the scanner - As soon as you connect it you'll see the progress window, there are for boxes, three of them will be checked, but it will wait on the second box (sorry don't remember) you'll see the circile just spinning, I clicked on the blue link below the boxes, I think it said something like "use local driver" and as soon as I checked that Win recolonized the scanner.
2. Use the software
3. Upgrade my firmware from 1.1 to 2.3

I had nothing but problems using Win 8.1 64 bit
1. Could not get the OS to see the scanner
2. software would freeze
3. backed up and formatted the SD card due to windows telling me there was a problem and they would fix it
4.It helped but I could never get steady access to it

HTH.

Blackswan73

Sacre bleu! I didn't even know there was a firmware upgrade for the 668! Must be for that EDACS bug they found in the 1080. I wonder if it gives the 668 the menu options the 1080 has. Glad you got it working. Mine will be here Tue.

N8WGM

The best way to update

I found that using a separate card reader for the mini SD card was the quickest way to update and to read the card to download driver software.

Using the connection to the scanner was way too slow and the card reader was the quickest by far.

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
Where did you find the firmware update in the first place? I've tried searching RS' support database to no avail.

DonS

Where did you find the firmware update in the first place? I've tried searching RS' support database to no avail.

Firmware updates are found and installed via the PC software that came with the radio. They're not on any RS site.

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
Firmware updates are found and installed via the PC software that came with the radio. They're not on any RS site.

Ahh, makes sense, thank you! I guess I jumped the gun a bit in my excitement. I just ordered the Pro-668 from an eBay seller and have started to gather more information so I'm ready for its arrival.

Thanks again!

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
I was only able to get my Win 7 64 bit pc. It might work on win 32bit but I don't have any pc's running 32 bit.

1. Recognize the scanner - As soon as you connect it you'll see the progress window, there are for boxes, three of them will be checked, but it will wait on the second box (sorry don't remember) you'll see the circile just spinning, I clicked on the blue link below the boxes, I think it said something like "use local driver" and as soon as I checked that Win recolonized the scanner.
2. Use the software
3. Upgrade my firmware from 1.1 to 2.3

I had nothing but problems using Win 8.1 64 bit
1. Could not get the OS to see the scanner
2. software would freeze
3. backed up and formatted the SD card due to windows telling me there was a problem and they would fix it
4.It helped but I could never get steady access to it

HTH.

You have to temporary turn off driver signature verification in Windows 8.1, as it block the driver from installing correctly. It takes only a couple of minutes to fix issue and the reinstall the driver click continue, when red message warn you about driver being unsigned. Then scanner will detect in windows 8.1.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorial...abling-signed-driver-enforcement-on-windows-8

jvdet

my Win 7 recognized the radio as a serial drive but no setup.exe was found, the program wont run all 5 or so folders CDAT UDAT DATS; were check still not installing the program
and my XP machine runs fine but every time I plug the radio in it wants to install the program as if its the first time runing

Last edited:

scosgt

my Win 7 recognized the radio as a serial drive but no setup.exe was found, the program wont run all 5 or so folders CDAT UDAT DATS; were check still not installing the program
and my XP machine runs fine but every time I plug the radio in it wants to install the program as if its the first time runing

PUT THE SD CARD INTO A CARD READER and run the program from there.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
You probably have the battery switch set to ALKaline

Actually that is the first thing I checked before I posted my question after reading that it charges it. It is on NIMH and has been. Is there a visual indication that it is charging the batteries? I get the little plug symbol in the upper right, but nothing charging. I have read others say that it does not charge the internal batteries, so I am confused now. :confused:

CrazyTed

I must be really stupid. I follow the directions of holding down the menu key while plugging the USB in and then try to update the firmware. It will never recognize my scanner and complete the firmware update. I can transfer stuff from the program to the scanner so I know the USB works. How can I download the firmware update directly to the memory card? I cannot find the firmware download location and then I don't know where to move it to on the memory card.

k7joe

How to upgrade firmware pro 668

Same issue as others. Win 10 machine. PC can see scanner to upload memories but can not update DSP nor CPU as error says scanner can't be found. Any work arounds. ??

Last edited:

marksmith

Firmware on the SD card is useless. It needs to be installed in the radio to work. Data can be on the card, but not the firmware.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Status
Not open for further replies.