A GUI for DSD Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jharr465

Premium Subscriber
I am currently designing and coding a Graphical User Interface for DSD. It will not include the DSD executable, but will run separately allowing the user to choose options for DSD from a Windows-Like program which will then call up DSD and run it in a separate window. This should be a welcome addition for those who are not comfortable calling programs from the command line in Windows. I plan on releasing a beta version in the next week or so and will welcome any comments. I hope this is something that is needed for less experienced users of DSD.

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
Nice job on the GUI!

I read your instructional .pdf and thought I would help out by wordsmithing a couple of the paragraphs. The main thing that needs to be avoided is "you" and "I".

I will describe how each option is selected.
This line kills me!!

:D

"I John Harr alone will describe to you how each option is to be selected and when it is to be selected because you cannot possibly grasp it without my guidance."

Right. So that was a bit over the top but that is how I read it. Might be just me. :p

Here are my edits:
Description
DSDGUI is a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for the popular decoding program DSD for Windows. To use DSDGUI, DSD must first be installed on a computer running Windows. DSDGUI's main function is to start, stop and control the DSD program by building commands along with any DSD parameters that might be used on the command line. Once the commands have been constructed, DSDGUI runs DSD making it much more convenient and easy to use DSD. This guide provides instructions on how to install, set up and use DSDGUI.

Installation
If it has not already been done so, please download DSDGUI.exe from here. To get started, first, make sure that DSD is installed and that it is running properly. Next, make a note of where the location of the DSD executable (exe) file is at on the computer. (eg - C:\Program Files\DSD\DSD.exe) Select a directory in which to place the DSDGUI.exe file in. It is recommended to place the DSDGUI.exe file in the same directory where DSD.exe is at. Finally, copy the DSDGUI.exe file into the selected directory. A desktop icon can be created by clicking and dragging the DSDGUI.exe file to the desktop while holding the ALT key down. Or right-click on the DSDGUI.exe file, choose "Send To" and then choose "Desktop".

The rest is up to you.

;)

mancow

Database Admin
I tried pointing it to dsdplus but it just keeps opening the same pointer box and does not run.

EDIT: Nevermind I had to do it as Admin.

n4yek

Does this only work with DSD and not DSDPlus?
When I try to start DSDPlus with it, a window pop's up and disappears and the program does not start.

In the Display options and Decode options, some of the text is chopped off like the area isn't tall enough for the letters. Also there is a little hash mark in the upper left corner of the selection box in the Input/Output selection area for Silence Synthesized Speech.

Looks good.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Does this only work with DSD and not DSDPlus?
When I try to start DSDPlus with it, a window pop's up and disappears and the program does not start.

In the Display options and Decode options, some of the text is chopped off like the area isn't tall enough for the letters. Also there is a little hash mark in the upper left corner of the selection box in the Input/Output selection area for Silence Synthesized Speech.

Looks good.

OK, I see what you mean. The GUI box stays up but the DSD boxes disappear after very briefly trying to come up. Also, I don't see an option to direct the audio input sources and output sources. Does that need to be entered directly in the command line field?

Last edited:

RonnieUSA

OK, I see what you mean. The GUI box stays up but the DSD boxes disappear after very briefly trying to come up. Also, I don't see an option to direct the audio input sources and output sources. Does that need to be entered directly in the command line field?
I tried it also with DSD+, and the DSD+ window closed very quickly.

jharr465

Premium Subscriber
The current program only works well with DSD not DSDPlus. I am aware that the DSDPlus window comes up and then disappears. I want to perfect the program for DSD and then work on one for DSDPlus. The command line options are not the same for the two programs. Thanks you all for the feedback I am working on your reported problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.