Lafayette Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I am updating my 436 file for a possible trip to the Lafayette, La area. I seen a list for the PRAT 1 & 2 for the Assumption Parish Public Safety listing.

My I ask what is PRAT ?

Thanks.

shew

assumption

I live in assumption...and I have no idea what PRAT stands for....I never hear traffic on that talkgroup

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Don't bother

Don't bother coming to Lafayette, That is unless you have the equipment and software to decrypt ADP. They took a once lively and vibrant radio system and turned it into crap. Please go to Baton Rouge and spend your tourist dollars there. It's a lot more fun in Baton Rouge anyway.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Well the plans has been changed, I will not be going to Lafayette.

But I still would like to know what PRAT stands. Its one of the Talkgroups assigned to Assumption Parish.

fireman1417

Its actually "Parish Rapid Assessment Team", after 9/11 when DHS was dumping grant money for CBRNE attack/terrorism training, the 6 parishes of Terrebonne, Lafourche, Assumption, St. John, St. Charles and St. James formed the River & Bayou Parishes Mutual Aid & Assistance Task Force. The task force was formed to compete with the bigger metro areas for grant money. They were successful. Basically, each parish has a "team" of 10 people who have received training in hazmat and advanced topics related to terrorism. This grant money has purchased some pretty good response/detection/decon equipment. Its been a while since i've seen one of the trailers, but each parish had a good setup of level A, level B, SCBA, air monitoring, multi RAEs, chemical detection, radiation monitoring, etc., as well as some communication equipment, which is where the channels you see come in. In the grand scheme, the idea was that one (or more) of these teams would be dispatched in the event of an incident to provide rapid assessment, while more resources were being deployed. Keep in mind this area in particular has major amounts of oil/gas production / refineries / terminals / pipelines, etc, that could be major targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.