• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming "memory banks" in TK 280 380 or 481?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0akf

Hi - I have a Kenwood Tk 280, a 380 and a 481. I was wondering - how do I program up "memory banks"? Here is what I want to do - I want to have a "memory bank" for my local area. I also want on for different parts of the state that I go to. When I am loal, I want to be able to select my home "bank". When I travel I want to select another "bank". I then want to e ale to scan whatever "bank" I have selected. So I think this is possible - however I am not sure the correct teminology. I know Kenwood uses "system" and "group" Currently I have each repeater set up as a "system" and am able to scan each one. Can anyoe shed some light on how I can do this? I apolofize if I have made this sound confusing :) THANK YOU!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The X80 series is a bit quirky. It can be set up with one of two formats which are either trunking or conventional. If you are seeing systems and groups then the radio is in trunking format. If you need trunking systems this is the only format to use. Now if all you want in the radio are conventional repeaters and simplex channels, you CAN put them in with the trunking format but the way they are used is a bit odd and scan is tough to do.

For conventional channels only I would use the conventional format (warning, you'll have to start from scratch on the programming when this is changed). This is under the model pull down.

With this you will now get groups (banks) and channels. Program the different locations in each group. Make the rotary knob the channel up/down and the left/right buttons group up/down. I assign scan to the "S" button and scan add/delete to the "A" button. If you want to scan one group at a time, under scan set Group Scan to "single".

This, to me, makes the X80 radios act more like a normal radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hi - I have a Kenwood Tk 280, a 380 and a 481. I was wondering - how do I program up "memory banks"? Here is what I want to do - I want to have a "memory bank" for my local area. I also want on for different parts of the state that I go to. When I am loal, I want to be able to select my home "bank". When I travel I want to select another "bank". I then want to e ale to scan whatever "bank" I have selected. So I think this is possible - however I am not sure the correct teminology. I know Kenwood uses "system" and "group" Currently I have each repeater set up as a "system" and am able to scan each one. Can anyoe shed some light on how I can do this? I apolofize if I have made this sound confusing :) THANK YOU!

In the software, create a conventional codeplug, then in zone one enter the frequency info for all channels you want there, go to zone 2 create your channels for it. And assign a button for zone up, and if needed/wanted one for zone down.

If you do not need trunking, I would not even create a trunking code plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

n0akf

THANK YOU guys for this info! I will go back and program it for conventional only. THe 2 above replies sound like what I am looking for. THANK YOU again!

Larry - N0AKF

Status
Not open for further replies.