Becoming a Updater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Good Morning,

Been a long time member of Radio Reference ever since they stopped publishing Police Call and at that time was on the major contributes list.

Was looking to see on how to become a moderator or admin and assist with updating the data base mainly, if you can direct me on where to go would be appreciated.

Steve

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
At this point we aren't looking for anymore forum moderators but thanks for asking.

I'll let Tom comment on Database Admins.

Steveradio

Thanks mostly data base seems for some of my counties it takes awhile for updates to process.

Not much interested in forum moderation, Enjoy updating and finding new frequencies, systems and identify users thanks

JoeyC

Thanks mostly data base seems for some of my counties it takes awhile for updates to process.

Question is, do these updates get submitted? The RR database stays up to date when users in the local areas submit the information. If no one is submitting changes, then the data stagnates. If however people are submitting changes and they are never worked into the db, then you might have an issue.

jfhtm350

The RR database stays up to date when users in the local areas submit the information. If no one is submitting changes, then the data stagnates. If however people are submitting changes and they are never worked into the db, then you might have an issue.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that. I have a submission now that was submitted probably 3 months ago and hasnt been added. The submission before that took about 6 months and the ones before that took forever also.

How does data stagnate? If one sends a submission it should be looked at whether or not others are submitting updates. Maybe I didnt understand that clearly. I dont have any issues and am very credible when it comes to submitting frequencies although I will say no one is perfect.

If it takes 6 months or so before a submission gets added then I would assume the whole database is 6 months behind. No one wants to go through the trouble of searching and finding frequencies only to submit them and hopefully it will get added in the next century and it also seems no one cares on the other end. Not saying thats the case but thats what it feels like.

I know people are busy but a timely manner is all one could ask.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It depends on the state and the DB Admins for that state. I have submitted many, many Ohio additions and it is usually only a few days at the most.

Six months is unacceptable....especially with the newer scanners out now which rely on the accuracy of the RR DB.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I'll have to respectfully disagree with that. I have a submission now that was submitted probably 3 months ago and hasnt been added. The submission before that took about 6 months and the ones before that took forever also.

I took a look at your submission history and I only see one open submission from January 12th. That's not quite 3 months. It is currently owned by DonnieDog. Why not shoot him a PM or email and ask him why there's a delay?

The submission before that was from January 24th, 2014 and ericcarlson worked it the same day it was submitted.

Before that, you hadn't made any submissions since January 2013 and it looks like they were worked within the month.

Do you have a specific example of something that was delayed more than a month. Are you making submissions under a different username?

I can post a screenshot of your submission history that shows it all if you want?

Steveradio

Thats reason why questioned about submissions since im in a resort area some things change often and others dont but with new technology it seems like it does not get added to the database sometimes after a month goes by will reenter my findings and than it will be updated.

I check and double check my data with FCC Data Base and of course monitoring time, at points will even drive alittle out of my way just to see how new system is set up and get the new DPL/PL tones etc..

Majority of the time other counties are updated rather quick and the admins do a wonderful job in keeping them updated. Just wanted to get those other counties updated that seem to take awhile longer.

Thanks
Steve

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I've moved this thread to the System-wide Administration forum since it deals with both the forums and database.

jfhtm350

I took a look at your submission history and I only see one open submission from January 12th. That's not quite 3 months. It is currently owned by DonnieDog. Why not shoot him a PM or email and ask him why there's a delay?

Na. I'm not going to bug the man. I guess he will get to it when he gets to it. Jan 12th sounds about right so I'd say your right.

The submission before that was from January 24th, 2014 and ericcarlson worked it the same day it was submitted.

Before that, you hadn't made any submissions since January 2013 and it looks like they were worked within the month.

Do you have a specific example of something that was delayed more than a month. Are you making submissions under a different username?

When I go to my submissions page it wont load for some reason. Tried 2 browsers. One claims Yahoo is undefined. It has been awhile since I made a submission so you could be right about Jan 24th, dont remember the exact dates. No this is my only username.

I can post a screenshot of your submission history that shows it all if you want?

No. I dont need my business all over the webpage here. I guess we will just forget about it and move on. Thanks though.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I can tell you as a Admin here, some submission are so large in info and the submitter resubmits info that is already here in their submission that it takes hours to deal with there submission, and then I have to try and figure out whats here and whats not here. So please keep in mind that all Database Admins here do this work for free on there own time to help keep this hobby moving along.

So if you think your submission is not getting worked fast enough please contact the owner of your submission and see why, most likely they would enjoy getting your info into the database here as fast as they can, and please take the time to read the submission guide lines here as it can speed things up.

RR Database Submission Guidelines - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.