• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MURS patch antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettL

Hi, guys. I hope I posted this in the correct place. I'm new to the forums. If anyone could help me it would really be appreciated. I have Garmin DC 40 tracking collar and the Astro 320 receiver. A simple battery replacement in the collar resulted in my 6 year old son breaking the patch antenna inside the device. This circomm patch antennas bandwith is 11.25kHz on frequencies 151.820MHz, 151.880MHz and 151.940MHz. The authorized bandwidth is 20.0kHz on frequencies 154.570MHz and 154.600MHz. It has the 5Khz deviation. Uses 2w of transmitting power. The radom that surrounds the antenna is cracked through to the small micro film that makes the antenna. I contacted circomm technologies in Tiawan about specs and purchase of this device. The communication was poor so I contacted Garmin GPS and was told by one of their techs that he had no information about the antenna but I could send it in for replacement. Why do this when I can replace it myself. One solder joint, a RF cable, and with the help of a razor blade I can remove the 2 sided sticky tape that helps secure it to the pcb. I'm having issues when trying to purchase this little booger. Where is a good reliable place to purchase this patch antenna? I would attach a jpg of the patch antenna but don't think I have right or it's not working. I'm the noob.

toastycookies

$10

Orange Supra-Tuff DC-40 / DC-30 Replacement VHF Antenna

Orange Supra-Tuff DC-40 / DC-30 Replacement VHF Antenna. $9.95.

orange-supra-tuff-dc-40-dc-30-replacement-vhf-antenna-213.jpg

BrettL

Thats the extended flexible range antenna. I was wondering about the actual micro strip patch antenna. It is a small square antenna located in the collar about the size of a nickel but it is square. I would like to know if someone knows the specs of it or where i can purchase such an item since Garmin wants $100 to fix it but says the info is disclosed to the public which is a lie. Class 90 and 95 part devices aren't disclosed to anyone.

I can purchase this and solder one joint back and it will be working again but don't have the info of the patch antenna. It's made by CiroComm. It operates MURS frequencies. I don't know much about GPS but if I can purchase this and I can fix it. These patch antennas are fairly cheap. Here is a pic of it.....

Attachments

• $_12.jpg
    $_12.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,752

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Just a guess, but you are likely looking for the 1.2/1.5 GHz GPS receive antenna (or the GPS receiver itself), not the 151/154 MHz VHF transmit antenna. Garmin is probably protective of that, and either manufactures it themselves of has a third party build it under an exclusive licence. Best of luck with that.

The physics of tuning a 70-inch MURS VHF wavelength in a nickle sized antenna don't add up. The VHF goes out on the wire whip (quarter-wave).

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Class 90 and 95 part devices aren't disclosed to anyone.

Did you search the FCC database for the unit's FCC ID?

And I agree with the other poster...it looks like a GPS antenna? Are you sure it's not? Cirocomm makes GPS units... GPSModule GPSModule0

A patch antenna that size (looks to be very small?) would be very inefficient at VHF frequencies.

toastycookies

Thats the extended flexible range antenna. I was wondering about the actual micro strip patch antenna. It is a small square antenna located in the collar about the size of a nickel but it is square. I would like to know if someone knows the specs of it or where i can purchase such an item since Garmin wants $100 to fix it but says the info is disclosed to the public which is a lie. Class 90 and 95 part devices aren't disclosed to anyone.

I can purchase this and solder one joint back and it will be working again but don't have the info of the patch antenna. It's made by CiroComm. It operates MURS frequencies. I don't know much about GPS but if I can purchase this and I can fix it. These patch antennas are fairly cheap. Here is a pic of it.....

Ok.
You do not want the MURS antenna.
You want the GPS antenna.

Can you give me any numbers from the GPS antenna?
At least some dimensions.

will one of these work?

sku_103303_3.jpg

32db High Gain CIROCOMM GPS Active Built-in Ceramic Patch Antenna 38*38*6mm $12.79 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com

From a little further looking it seems from the 51 00 #'s all i can find are sellers in russia.
And I do not speak russian.

Does this look more like what you have?

1336550837.jpg

https://www.avito.ru/moskva/tovary_...nna_cirocomm_51-00_dlya_garmin_dc40_490046451

BrettL

yes the second pic looks exactly like it and has the same numbers on the puck and the pcb. I think its like 25mmx25mm not exactly sure on deminsions.

Last edited:

BrettL

Murs patch antenna

Yes this is exactly the one with same numbers on the puck and pcb. The deminsions are 25mmx25mm but not for sure. I translated that page and they want 3000 rubles which is $48.50 USD. It's not for delivery only in store pick up. I need a plane lol. Thanks for searching this item and showing some interest. Very much appreciated. I have searched for hours and never came across that site. I'm still looking as the search continues..........if anyone stumbles across one let me know. Again thanks .

BrettL

I'm not sure toasty cookies. Thats why I was trying to research GLONASS and learn a little about GPS and try to obtain some specs about this patch antenna. I found these on ebay and alibaba really cheap. All i can do is buy one and see if it will work. The reason I was contacting CiroComm and Garmin is to make sure I purchased the correct one for the device. The one I have picks up over 5 satellites up to a 9 mile range and farther depending on the conditions and topography. I have had it to pick up over 14 miles. If there is a better one that will fit right into it's place I would buy it. Got to be a data sheet on these things somewhere out there.

charlesdotcc

Does that PCB have anything on it other than the antenna? If not, GPS patch antennas like that one are pretty common out there, and the only metrics that differentiate them are size, gain, and voltage. Gain isn't that critical, and there's only a few options for voltage (and some are even auto-ranging), so if you find one the right size, chances are it will work. If you want, measure the DC voltage on the coax while the device is on and you should be able to measure the voltage you're looking for.

Now that I think about it, if there's a silver cover over some electronics on the back side, than you can worry about the voltage, but if there's not, then you've got a passive antenna and don't worry about the voltage.

If you're going to cut the connector off and solder to the board, this one may work:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/177

JWSA

Hey BrettL I saw you where looking for the gps antenna module. Did you come right in your search? I am in the same boat needing also for my DC40 collar. Please let me know any info would be good. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.