Indy Metro Feed Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NEG

Hey, everybody...

First, let me offer a sincere apology for the TERRIBLE recent performance of my feed. We moved our office from Brownsburg (where I had good to excellent performance) to the NW side of Indy. I've spent hours and hours trying to get my Pro-197 to perform well here, but I simply can't. I took it home; no luck there, either. I'm going to try a Uniden 536; if that doesn't work I'll report back here and let you all know so hopefully someone in a better location can take over the feed. I've enjoyed doing it and I don't want to have to give up this part of the hobby, but the feed is presently unacceptable to me (and you all, too, I'm sure). Thanks for your patience; I'll do my best to make it as good as (or better) than it's ever been.

Todd Bettenhausen

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Unless your right close to the IMPD NW District Roll Call area, where the tower is closest too, you will be in multipath hades. That BCD536HP will actually be the best bet for this feed. I am in the pretty much middle of the worst area of the NW area (Riverside area) between the near NW, and NW RC sites and there are days, I can't understand 60% of the coms. I am tempted to get an signal amp, and do the dual ants on a splitter like Tim did and see what that will do. That may even improve my reception for the IDPS Sys 3, and maybe just maybe help out with Sys 2.

KC9NEG

Hey, milf, thanks for that. I'm in the 5300 block of West 86th, so yep, multipath hades here. I'll have a BCD536HP here tomorrow for the feed. Fingers crossed that I can return it to its past level of performance. I miss it as much as everyone else does, I'm sure.

Thanks to Jeff at the Hamstation for getting a radio to me quickly and all they've done down there to support our hobby over all these years :)

W9NES

Todd, We are between two tower sites for IDPS. Traders Point( location NWQ) area just south of were I grew up for years at 7600 North Lafayette Road and the other site is located to the southeast of my location at Butler (Location BUL) I have trouble getting a control channel at( Location 1. 86Th and Zionsville Road,) also( Location 2 86Th and Michigan Road._( Location 3 7800 North Michigan Road in the parking lot at Memorys bar and grill). and also( Location 4 86Th and Ditch Road). When you get out of this area with the 4 locations I have posted IDPS is great. Also no control channel locking up for MECA sys 2 on 852.1125 near 79Th and Michigan Road. Hope this helps

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Also note for System 2, there are 2 other sites that are not currently being utilized to full extent. Both these are the Citizen's repeaters down south and the MLK site. MLK is only licensed for 3 freqs thru Citizen's, and if they ever do turn it on as an add on site this will increase NW area coverage immensely. Last I heard they were indeed going to add both those sites to the System 2 line up. But nothing happening yet. I wish they would add both systems to every licensed site.

W9NES

Milf, Thank you,There is a tower at Citizens at the LNG North Plant on west 86Th Street east of Georgetown Road. When Citizens Gas was on the old edacs system I could get a control channel to lock up and here them just fine from 79Th and Michigan Road.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Sorry I was a little tardy in shipping Todd will have 536 friday.
Jeff

Hey, milf, thanks for that. I'm in the 5300 block of West 86th, so yep, multipath hades here. I'll have a BCD536HP here tomorrow for the feed. Fingers crossed that I can return it to its past level of performance. I miss it as much as everyone else does, I'm sure.

Thanks to Jeff at the Hamstation for getting a radio to me quickly and all they've done down there to support our hobby over all these years :)

KC9NEG

Thanks...

Thanks, Jeff, and no worries. I'll have to go to school on the radio over the weekend. Hopefully I'll have it up and running quickly.

SCPD

QRT
I think you will be impressed with the BCD 536HP it does a great job decoding IDPS 1,2,3. I have taken a 536 for a test drive in that area and it works great on IDPS SYS 1,2,and 3 also SYS 3 Hamilton County Tower Site at 106th and Michigan Road”421” you should have no issues receiving that tower in your area.

I had good luck with the 536 on IDPS SYS 1 and 2 in the area of 86th and Michigan Road in the White Caste Parking Lot also at W79th and Michigan Road with SYS1 and 2 However just a small amount of chopping on SYS 3 but was able to make out every thing that was being said but that was when the EDACS was still online I have not been back in the area to see if it had made it better with EDACS Offline.

I was using a Radio Shack 800Mhz Rubber Duck on the scanner just sitting in the passenger seat and yes I can legally have a scanner in the car.

racin06

Fingers crossed that I can return it to its past level of performance. I miss it as much as everyone else does...

There is no doubt in my mind the 536 will perform well for you. If you'll recall, you and I had some conversations here at RR a few months ago about the great performance of my 436. Though you seemed to be a skeptic, even though I have posted numerous videos showing my 436 monitoring the IDPS system very well from my home in Westfield. Also, my 436 works on IDPS very well from my office at 74th and Zionsville Road...no multipath interference whatsoever. Dont worry, I won't say, "I told you so." ;)

KC9NEG

There is no doubt in my mind the 536 will perform well for you. If you'll recall, you and I had some conversations here at RR a few months ago about the great performance of my 436. Though you seemed to be a skeptic, even though I have posted numerous videos showing my 436 monitoring the IDPS system very well from my home in Westfield. Also, my 436 works on IDPS very well from my office at 74th and Zionsville Road...no multipath interference whatsoever. Dont worry, I won't say, "I told you so." ;)

You already just did. Of course I remember. No skepticism... I only asserted that the Pro 197 worked well for me, which it did at our previous location. I'm not going to tell a man whether his radio is working well for him or not, however, performance of the two radios when we were at our previous location was demonstrably comparable. I'd have tried a 536 months ago had that not been the case.

Last edited:

KC9NEG

Russell,

Thank you for the post. I am seeing the very same results with my 436 on my local simulcast system, as well. The system was completely unmonitorable on the 396T and PSR800, yet the 436 monitors the system very well. The 436 is more than just an improvement, it's a complete 180 compared to my previous scanners when it comes to monitoring simulcast systems. Unfortunately, there are already a few boneheads on RR that are trying to discredit the x36 scanners. Fortunately these knuckleheads are getting owned by the two videos of my 436 successfully monitoring my local simulcast system. More videos to come!

https://vimeo.com/85494169

https://vimeo.com/85630988

Just remembered why I remembered. I am not a "supporter", "enthusiast", or "fanboy" of any particular brand of equipment. I couldn't care less what works for anyone else anywhere else. I have a specific problem to solve. I need to monitor one system from one location as best I can with the equipment available to me. Everything was working well until I had to move my feed setup; that's obviously no longer true. I don't care who makes it or what it costs--If I can get it and it's better, I'll use it. If I could get a "proper" (subscribed) radio set up to ONLY receive the appropriate TG's, I'd be on that like white on rice (isn't the Marion Co. Fire and Rescue feed a subscribed radio?). I'm doing the best with what I can get so fingers crossed we'll all be enjoying a better listening experience very soon.

racin06

Enjoy your 536. I'm currently listening to both IDPS System 1 and System 3 (Hamilton County) on my 436 from my office at 74th and Zionsville Road. Both systems are coming in flawlessly.

KC9NEG

I'm getting ready to start on setting up the new radio.

How do you guys feel about adding Hamilton Co. (System 3) to this feed, since nobody is streaming it? Would the be too "busy", even with tags being streamed? I'll apply to add it if this radio performs well and consensus is positive.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Heck yeah, add it. You can actually start streaming it with notations as special testing currently until full OK arrives. Plus, if you also use Proscan, you can feed anything you want on it without any issues.

KC9NEG

racin06 (or anyone else monitoring System 1 in Indy), have you changed any of the radio's P25 settings? My 536 is much better at this location than my 197, but there's definitely a bit of room for improvement most days.

Status
Not open for further replies.