How long did it take to accumulate a good "junk box"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7XRL

Premium Subscriber
Every seasoned hobbyist has one, and hams are no exception. How long did it take for you to accumulate a stash of spare parts, salvaged parts and other equipment that is sufficient to allow you to build and experiment on new projects without repeated trips to the store or big online orders?

I am relatively new, just a few days from the one year anniversary of getting my license. So I don't really have a good junk box jet. I do have a bit of a head start from some other hobbies, like RC model cars and aircraft, so I have a good bit of heat shrink tubing, soldering equipment, etc.

How long did it take you after you were first licensed to the point where you had a well stocked junk box?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
That begs the question of, "Which came first, the ticket or the junk box?" In my case it's the junk box as I am deep into commercial two-way radio but semi-anxiously awaiting the posting of my callsign by the FCC. i've got a lifetime of parts and hardware filling a large shed and a dozen unpacked moving boxes. Now that I'm almost officially a ham, maybe I can share?

PACNWDude

I agree with previous posters, it is always a "work in progress" and it may have come long before and amateur license.

In my case, I always tried to re-purpose broken toys and gadgets. As I grew older, the toys and gadgets just changed a bit. That junk box became a garage.

elk2370bruce

Back in my ill-spent youth (many moons ago) I was given some junk (or if expensive "junque" ) parts by my Elmer. From those parts, along with the salvaged remains of a tube tv, I constructed my home-brew 40 meter novice cw rig with a roaring 50 watts!. I forget the magazine that had the instructions and plans. Checked out by my elmer after some months of work, it was about the time that my long-coveted novice ticket arrived (by the slowest of snail mail) from the FCC. I had my first QSO that night with a patient and now silent key in Virginia with my nervous 5wpm into a surplus straignt key..

VFN05

"Junk box" aka "junk garage"

I agree with what most others have said....in that a junk box is an ever growing phenomenon.

The good thing about a well stocked junk box (or garage) is not only the ability to have parts for your own projects, but also to help fellow hams with their needs. I have more than once had a part needed by a fellow ham, and conversely, have been on the receiving side of needed parts or equipment.

If you ever need something....ask around. Especially in this age of the internet, "hamfreecycle" on yahoogroups can save you a ton when looking for a special little part.

73's,
Jason
KG4AEP

rapidcharger

The junk boxES have really grown in recent years at my place due to the sheer amount of obsolete technology and disposable devices. It fit in one or two milk crates up until 2 years ago or so. Now its a lot more. When the basement thaws out I'm going to set up some shelves and organize it.

majoco

Stirrer
Rules:

1.If your junk box is full, you need a bigger box.
2.Never tidy up a junk box.
3. Never throw anything out from a junk box, you will need it tomorrow.
4. Always accept donations, even if apparently broken - it will contain a part you will need later.
5. You will find the very part you need to fix that radio the day after you throw the radio out.

...there must be many more..... :roll:

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
1965 - Box
1975 - Shelf
1985 - Shelves
1995 - Room
2005 - Building

My three irrefutable laws:

Quantum Law of Supply and Demand:

"a <= N - 1", where 'a' is the quantity immediately available and 'N' is the quantity needed. In this and all alternate realities including the mysterious 'Safe Place' 'N' is always greater than 'a' except where "N <= 0", in which case "a > cost * @pos(3(N))".

Law of Availability Probability:

The probability of an item being needed is inversely proportional to the time since it was discarded, lost, or stored in the 'Safe Place'. If an item is know to have slipped into the 'Safe Place' the probability of need is multiplied by the cube of N - a.

Law of Spacial Relationships:

As the Availability Probability Law factor decreases, 'Stuff' geometrically expands in volume until it exceeds all physical space available for its containment.

Last edited:

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Entropy!

Entropy my friends, entropy.

After 35 years of collecting my own junk boxes, I inherited my Dad's too, so now I have an entire corner of my garage with shelves of junk boxes. But, as others have said, ya just can't get rid of it cuz someday you'll be working on a project and say "dang, I'm glad I saved that left-handed frammahammis!" :p

Good thing I have an oversized garage and small cars! :cool:

N8OHU

In my case, it's not just radio stuff; I can usually build one or more computers out of the junk box.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Yep, got it all... plumbing, electrical, electronics, marine, automotive (anyone need a muffler hanger from an '85 VW Golf?), tools, you name it.

In fact I still have a Zilog Z80 microprocessor in its original Radio Shack blister pack in a box out there somewhere.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I don't know how to answer that question. In my younger days, I took apart a few old junk televisions, and got a nice collection of parts, hardware, tube sockets, you name it. In a few months, I had a nice start.

I still have some of that stuff. But now, 50 years later, if I need a spare rubidium oscillator to precisely control a synthesizer, or 15 feet of RG-214 (with N connectors), I can just go out to the garage and get it. I've got antennas, hardware, cable, waveguide, power amps, low noise amps, circulators, and and and...

And it took a LONG time and a LOT of hard work to accumulate it all.

Start modestly, when someone throws away some electronic device, take it off their hands, and take it apart. Save everything except the case. And sometimes the case is worth saving. Always hang on to the stuff, whether you think you need it or not. And in 50 years, when you're in need of some exotic $1000 part, you'll find you've got one right there.

Token

How long did it take you after you were first licensed to the point where you had a well stocked junk box?

My junk box started well before I was licensed. Now 40'ish years down the road from that point it is still a wok in progress. How long does it take? I'll let you know when I get done. That will probably be about the time my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids are trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff I left after they planted me.

T!

KG6ABF

A "junque box" is a very dynamic entity. It is constantly evolving an never complete.

Mine is always changing and I have to say no matter what parts or pieces I have it will never be enough. After almost 30 years as a licensed Amateur and over 40+ as an electronic hobbyist I have not ever considered my Junk Box adequate or contains enough parts to stop adding to the supplies on hand as you never know what, when or where you are going to need some adapter, parts or bit of wire to complete or repair something on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.