Hard copy license only by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackswan73

As of Feb. 18, 2015, the FCC will no longer issue paper licenses, except by request. This action was implemented as part of the paper reduction requirements. This action is estimated to save the government $304,000 a year, including staff expenses

rapidcharger

Good to know.
I'm sure that $304k will go a long way.
They can't spare 8 cents to send me a license but the $450 million dollars for fighter jets the military doesn't even want gets approved. Good priorities!

ecps92

KB7MIB

For those who travel into/through states that prohibit scanners in vehicles, but have an Amateur license exemption, those licensees should be sure to request a hard copy to present to an officer in the event they are questioned about their radios.

John
Peoria, AZ

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Licenses

If it is like the FEMA test certificates, you will be able to print your own copy. Hopefully that will satisfy law enforcement.

Blackswan73

For those who travel into/through states that prohibit scanners in vehicles, but have an Amateur license exemption, those licensees should be sure to request a hard copy to present to an officer in the event they are questioned about their radios.

John
Peoria, AZ
Yep, that was one of the reasons I posted this as a heads up. I am in one of those states.

KC3ECJ

Also to get amateur radio plates you typically have to provide a photocopy of your licence.

autovon

Ø
Good thing you can print one off the website or request a paper one from the FCC then.

Your Amateur license does not exempt you from state or local laws pertaining to operation of scanners in vehicles. It only exempts your transceiver that has the capability of receiving law enforcement radio transmissions, such as your 2 Meter radio capable of receiving 136-174 MHz.

If you care to lookup the FCC Memorandum Opinion and Order it is FCC 93-410.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/pr91-36.pdf

Last edited:

Blackswan73

Do not know about other states, but Indiana law states specifically "police radio" and also specifically exempts hams. In Indiana, it is even against the law to have a hand held scanner outside of your house, even on your own property, unless you have a ham license. Here is a copy of Indiana code verbatim:

IC 35-44-3-12
Unlawful use of a police radio; exemptions; "police radio" defined

Sec. 12. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) possesses a police radio;
(2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
or
(3) possesses or uses a police radio:
(A) while committing a crime;
(B) to further the commission of a crime; or
(C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;
commits unlawful use of a police radio, a Class B misdemeanor.
(b) Subsection (a)(1) and (a)(2) do not apply to:
(1) a governmental entity;
(2) a regularly employed law enforcement officer;
(3) a common carrier of persons for hire whose vehicles are used in
emergency service;
(4) a public service or utility company whose vehicles are used in
emergency service;
(5) a person who has written permission from the chief executive
officer of a law enforcement agency to possess a police radio;
(6) a person who holds an amateur radio license issued by the Federal
Communications Commission if the person is not transmitting over
a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
(7) a person who uses a police radio only in the person's dwelling or
place of business;
(8) a person:
(A) who is regularly engaged in newsgathering activities;
(B) who is employed by a newspaper qualified to receive legal
advertisements under IC 5-3-1, a wire service, or a licensed
commercial or public radio or television station; and
(C) whose name is furnished by his employer to the chief
executive officer of a law enforcement agency in the county
in which the employer's principal office is located;
(9) a person engaged in the business of manufacturing or selling
police radios; or
(10) a person who possesses or uses a police radio during the normal
course of the person's lawful business.
(c) As used in this section, "police radio" means a radio that is capable
of sending or receiving signals transmitted on frequencies assigned
by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency
purposes and that:
(1) can be installed, maintained, or operated in a vehicle; or
(2) can be operated while it is being carried by an individual.
The term does not include a radio designed for use only in a dwelling.
As added by Acts 1977, P.L.342, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.162-1994, SEC.1

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, the thread isn't about state-by-state scanner laws. Let's stay focused on the FCC paper license issue.

grndspt583

I just passed my Tech and General tonight. How/where do I make the request for paper copy after my call sign is issued?

Last edited:

Blackswan73

If you have a FRN number, log in and click on licenses then select paper copy. If you do not have a FRN number. Go to the FCC ULS website and create one. Takes about ten minutes. Do it now, before your call sign is issued

n5ims

I just passed my Tech and General tonight. How/where do I make the request for paper copy after my call sign is issued?

If you have a FRN number, log in and click on licenses then select paper copy. If you do not have a FRN number. Go to the FCC ULS website and create one. Takes about ten minutes. Do it now, before your call sign is issued

Be aware that the group that tested you will most likely (nearly certainly in reality) have a FRN number created for you as part of the process. Go to the FCC ULS website (aka CORES) https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do and use the "Forgot Password" feature to create your initial password if your testers didn't give you the one they created for you. You will need the FRN for this process, but you can get that using their License Search page (License Search) by searching on your call sign.

Creating a second FRN will cause delays in processing your license so don't rush, let the process work for you.

com501

Does the online copy look like the one you normally receive in the mail that includes the wallet size cutout?

n5ims

Does the online copy look like the one you normally receive in the mail that includes the wallet size cutout?

Yes and no (sorry, but it's true). The online copy (at this time anyway, when they no longer mail paper copies, this may or may not change) does have both the large and wallet sized versions of the license. It doesn't have the special paper graphics (those cross-hatches similar to the safety paper used for those old paper checks). It also has a large gray watermark that clearly states it is a "Reference Copy" and not an actual license. There's also the quoted text below to further clarify that it isn't an official FCC license.

This is not an official FCC license. It is a record of public information contained in the
FCC's licensing database on the date that this reference copy was generated. In cases
where FCC rules require the presentation, posting, or display of an FCC license, this
document may not be used in place of an official FCC license.

com501

Guess if that's the case, I'll be requesting an official paper copy anyway from the FCC unless they change the print format.

Blackswan73

Yes and no (sorry, but it's true). The online copy (at this time anyway, when they no longer mail paper copies, this may or may not change) does have both the large and wallet sized versions of the license. It doesn't have the special paper graphics (those cross-hatches similar to the safety paper used for those old paper checks). It also has a large gray watermark that clearly states it is a "Reference Copy" and not an actual license. There's also the quoted text below to further clarify that it isn't an official FCC license.
Have you checked lately? According to the ARRL bulletin I was given with my CSCE dated FEB. 17, it says you may now download and print an official copy as well as a "reference" copy. Also my testing group did not create FRN numbers. In fact. They were all very surprised I already had one, and never had a license before. Also they still use paper and snail mail to send your results to the FCC. I was tested by ARRL testing group.

k6cpo

Have you checked lately? According to the ARRL bulletin I was given with my CSCE dated FEB. 17, it says you may now download and print an official copy as well as a "reference" copy.

This is true. The nice thing about that is you can choose your own paper to print it on and end up with a very nice looking license to frame or whatever else you choose to do with it.

n5ims

Have you checked lately? According to the ARRL bulletin I was given with my CSCE dated FEB. 17, it says you may now download and print an official copy as well as a "reference" copy. Also my testing group did not create FRN numbers. In fact. They were all very surprised I already had one, and never had a license before. Also they still use paper and snail mail to send your results to the FCC. I was tested by ARRL testing group.

Yes, opened the site to view my license when creating the post, and did so again just now and only had the "Reference Copy" option. Now that may be since I've already been sent a hardcopy of my license, but I see nothing that allows me to print an official copy of my license, only a reference copy. There was now the option to select my desire to receive a paper copy or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.