hearing activity on Delta1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
hearing what sounds like NCNG on VIPER DELTA 1. gave an exit number on I-95 puts them up around Red Oak area if memory is correct thats Nash County area.

seems to be convoys. they were looking somewhere to fuel up somewhere and the Highway patrol was helping find a place.

DougWare

Feed Provider
I heard some crazy activity last night on Echo 1. I sounded like two people who had no legitimate business on VIPER shooting the crap about when the snow was going to start.

It went like this, its not an exaggeration:
"It's snowing there yet?"
"Naw, looks like it could."
"Yeah, nothin here yet neither."
"It'll come, it looks like it could."
"It's cold."
"Yeah, it's still too warm here."
"It'll come."

Then about an hour later, they did the whole thing again. It sounded like two people on a CB.

Doug

FatherTesmer

Premium Subscriber
Heard Converstation on VIPER yesterday

I am very new to this, and thought I had done something wrong. Maybe somehow picked up a phone call. But I got a similar conversation along with their conversation about "Hitting the drive thru". I didn't/don't know how to make it stop because it happened on VIPER. I am very thankful you posted this. I was really upset with myself. I thought I had done something very, very wrong.
Does this type of thing happen often?

reconrider8

if its on an events channel it could be anything really. it could be a surveillance team just keeping up with where everyones eating on a break or it could have been a team trying to keep up with snow "data". what would have gotten alot closer to who it was would be the radio ids that would have really narrowed down the users

WA4MJF

I heard some crazy activity last night on Echo 1. I sounded like two people who had no legitimate business on VIPER shooting the crap about when the snow was going to start.

It went like this, its not an exaggeration:
"It's snowing there yet?"
"Naw, looks like it could."
"Yeah, nothin here yet neither."
"It'll come, it looks like it could."
"It's cold."
"Yeah, it's still too warm here."
"It'll come."

Then about an hour later, they did the whole thing again. It sounded like two people on a CB.

Doug

Using plain language is all the rage now.

msigmon3306

In the early days of VIPER we'd hear traffic on the statewide events channels like this sometimes. People would be issued a radio and they'd switch over to these channels to shoot the bull and play with their new whiz-bang 10000 radios because "nobody's listening on these channels".

But there WERE people listening.

As the statewide channels got more and more official use, this type of yakking pretty much stopped. But with the P25 transition and more and more radios getting into the field I'd put money on a couple of people who've just gotten their brand new "whiz-bang 10000" radios

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
In the early days of VIPER we'd hear traffic on the statewide events channels like this sometimes. People would be issued a radio and they'd switch over to these channels to shoot the bull and play with their new whiz-bang 10000 radios because "nobody's listening on these channels".

But there WERE people listening.

As the statewide channels got more and more official use, this type of yakking pretty much stopped. But with the P25 transition and more and more radios getting into the field I'd put money on a couple of people who've just gotten their brand new "whiz-bang 10000" radios

Like that Golf 1 talkgroup. Who the hell ever gave anyone authorization to talk on that TG? :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

yardbird

Correct me if I am wrong here.

The events talkgroups are supposed to be assigned by the state EOC in Raleigh.

When I last read to state interoperability plan only certain individuals could request the use of the talkgroups.

I think it also involved making a verbal as well as an email request as to why you need the talkgroup.

After approval of EOC then they assign the events channel so they can have control over it.

David

msigmon3306

Like that Golf 1 talkgroup. Who the hell ever gave anyone authorization to talk on that TG? :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

Yeah, when we did the switchover on 6/17 and I was talking to you from across the state, I had just walked into Medic 10's base and those two jokers heard our conversation (from Hic-Oh-Ree to Durham). When we got finished they asked "did we just witness you having radio sex?"

Back in the day, when the OEMS UHF system had just been revamped, you could talk across the state by dialing in a bunch of DTMF codes (if you read the book closely enough). Carl Van Cott, the OEMS Chief of Communications pulled this one off and it was a stroke of pure genius even though it was overshadowed by VIPER.

So, being a radio kind of person I'd play around with my UHF's and the cool little buttons that came with them and I could patch repeaters from across the state together, plus hospitals, SMAT teams, etc.

Problem was, Mr. Van Cott was always listening. And sure enough, I'd hear "State 301 to to the person experimenting with the statewide UHF system?" After so many times of this I'd just answer him with "IT'S ME AGAIN CARL.......WHAT DID I SCREW UP THIS TIME?????"

Status
Not open for further replies.