• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertev VX 3200 VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Will a Vertev VX 3200 VHF do narrow band? Does it scan? How many channels will it hold? How hard is it to get the programming software and cable? Thanks

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yes the 3200 supports narrowband.
128 channels.
Programming software is available on Vertex-Standard Online, register for an account and download.
The factory programming interface is the VX-VPL1D. You can buy cheap aftermarket cables all over ebay for around $20.

PACNWDude

VX-3200's do narrow band well.

Where I used to work, we had hundreds of Vertex VX-3200's, they all worked well in narrow-band. I have two Vertex VX-3200's, one UHF and one VHF that have been running in narrow-band mode for several years in my car. They will be there until they literally break or the car gets totaled. They do very well. As for scanning, that has been something that has never worked for me.

Several procedures have been tried, a button has been programmed for scan, channels added to a scan list, and it has still never worked. I found that using the up and down buttons and making my banks of channels smaller works for me though.

As a previous poster said, cables are easy to get online or through Vertex. Software as well.

Some models I have had trouble with in narrow-band are the VX-2200 and VX-4200 radios. This is due to faulty filters being installed at the factory. Vertex had a technical service bulletin for this out a while back. But the VX-3200's did not have that problem.

So if you already have the 3200's, just know that they are very reliable radios, even in narrow-band. Since they are discontinued, (and no longer repaired by Vertex) they are getting cheaper on the used market.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Several procedures have been tried, a button has been programmed for scan, channels added to a scan list, and it has still never worked. I found that using the up and down buttons and making my banks of channels smaller works for me though.

Is the microphone off hook? If so, the radio will never go into scan if forced monitor is enabled in the programming software.

This is common with many radios.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Narrowband maybe...

Yes, the software will allow you to change all VX3200's from W5 to N, and all VX3200's are narrowband capable. But there is a catch.

Some of the radios manufactured in the late 2000's have a filter in the narrowband receive path (different from the wideband path) that is defective and fails 1/4 of the time. 3/4 of VX3200's narrowband just fine. The rest are stone deaf in narrow mode. Return them to W5 and they're just fine, but illegal. The only way to tell is to reprogram and check RX on a service monitor. You cannot just hop into the front seat of the truck, plug in your laptop and call it good.

Their vendor supplied bad components. I have a box of useless VX3200's from the same era with the same issue, and not just radios with close serial numbers. This is not limited to VX3200's either, and not Vertex's design fault. It is widespread and one of my customers just had a narrowbanded early production VX2200 go deaf two years after being reprogrammed.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I guess I am lucky, my 2005 era 3200 has .19uv on narrow. But it is currently used as an Echolink node radio on wideband. Runs very cool on the low power setting and kicks out 12 watts with a fan and stays cool to the touch.

The filter problem also showed up on Kenwood radios from the same era (TK-7150/7610/8150/8160, etc).

I have three 8160's what are deaf on narrow but work fine on wide.

Supposedly Kenwood will fix them for free if you reference a specific service bulletin. One day I'll get around to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.