• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Understanding & Repairing CB Radios and other books by Lou Franklin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettL

Does anyone know where I can obtain this book and/or any of his related book? Would this book be a good first starter book in understanding and repairing radios? I seen where this book cost any where from $100-$200 and is it really worth it. Any one know if it's understandable and very detailed to a guy with basic to moderate electronics?

I have a friend with over 150 cb radios that don't work he has collected over the years most of them 11 meters. I thought no better way to learn than to tinker with these. I have oscilloscope and singnal generator , pwr sup, ect to get started.

BrettL

They make a revisited version kinda like a trapper keeper so they will lye flat instead of the paperback version of the book. What would you be your asking price for the book.

KC8EVM

Im not sure where you can find the book, but if you can, and you and your friend are interested in how CB radios are truly designed and repaired, this is the one to get. There is a less technical version written by the same author (Lou Franklin) called "The screwdriver experts guide to cb radio repair" which is also an excellent reference book but not nearly as technical. Great for the beginning CB tech.
This guy Lou Franklin is the real deal and really understands the technical side of CB including export radios, PLL circuits etc.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Lou Franklin wrote some

really great books. I also have his "The CB PLL Data Book" which gets in to detail about how the PLL IC works in radios. Have 3 of his books.
If you are interested, either open your email so I can send a message or email me. We can not post about price here in this forum.

JayMojave

Hello All: Roger that LS, especially when they are for sale from the writer, at a amazing much lower price.

See: List of CB Radio Books: Screwdriver Expert's Guide, PLL Data Book, Understanding

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert You get to see many type of airplanes flying around out here, some even land near by, and one landed at Miss Dinah's fillin station for gas, man what a ruckus that caused. A lot of great scanner traffic for once.

Dawn

I don't get this thread either Jay. Lou's been in business and the last time I checked around last year, he was selling a newly updated set of his 3 books for $90. I have an older edition of the handbook I was given by a former shop owner and a photocopy of the PLL. The book alone is worth the money. Even if you've worked in professional communications, CB circuitry could be a challenge due to little to no service manual theory of operation and the extreme reductionalism the manufactures use to keep costs down by having circuitry perform multiple functions. That's where Lou's book comes in. I have books by Ed Noll, Forrest Belt, Leo Sands and many others as well as gobs of "cheat books" like the secret cb series. None go into the theory depth of often encountered odd circuitry used in CB's like Franklin's. You won't be disappointed if you buy the current versions if you are technically inclined and have a good grasp of theory. He sells a separate book something like CB repair for dummies that is a very practical book for folks who know little to nothing about electronics that guides one through common failures and repairs based on years of experience. I haven't seen that book, but have read excerpts that seem to be very pragmantic on isolating a common problem saving someone a repair cost with little knowledge.

BrettL

Thanks for the replies guys. I grew up with my dad being a heavy weight c.b. operater. Nothing like that first contact when I was 6 years old and had to be wearing shoes to key up the radio or I would get shocked. Bad house ground..lol. I remember once I made that contact over to the west coast from here in Alabama I would always put my shoes on. My father never became a HAM operator because his real passion was dirt track racing and he retired from it 45 years. He has his wattage cottage he stays in and runs the super bowl and the tracks. He has probably invested into c.b. much more than I will make in my life earnings..ha ha. Unit 901 PoorBoy in Alabama. I had roughly 3 years in electronics but mostly understanding components and some test benching on T.V.'s and building computers. Throughout the years my brother won a few key breaks with his 5 leese's and 10K mobile. He got out as fast as he got into it. I have done countless of mods, peaks, toys, minor add-ons by simply reading the installation papers or internet resources NOT really understanding how a radio really works. I want to obtain my amature license and talk HAM radio with the biggest beam antenna. I soon will have to stay at home alot more because I have a child on the way and nothing would second that than to nest in my basement doing something i grew up around but taking it a tad further. Nothing like patting yourself on your back after you have pulled all of your hair out. I love challenges. Thanks guys for the responses.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
That was an interesting post Brettl.

Like the part about getting shocked when operating without shoes! lol
But about those books, as mentioned earlier, you can get all 3 BRAND NEW condition for ~$100. That's really not bad price for all the information in them.

BrettL

Yes I was looking on the CBC website and really dont mind that price. I have placed my order on all 3 books. Thanks for the info.

JayMojave

Hello PEZ: Yeah it sounds high on price but if you look around at books and such on trouble shooting, you will see a lack of material on the subject. And these books have served many over the years.

Maybe you can write a set of books on radio, linear amplifier, and antenna trouble shooting, what would you charge for years of work?

Jay in the Mojave

LoyalServant

Simple economics.

I value these kinds of books low to the point that I would not buy it for $10 because they have no use for me. That does not make them worthless or that the author should lower his price either.

For someone else - it's worth $100

Status
Not open for further replies.