Pro-668 $299.99 at radioshack.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlangshaw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up. I already have a WS 1080, but at that price I could not resist getting another. Really like the 1080 "pocket"scanner.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious. Is Whistler supporting the RS radios as well for firmware upgrades, or are you SOL when RS finally goes under?

ND8D

The perfect storm:

I just revived my interest in scanners,

Decided to buy a pro-651 from the blinq deal a few weeks ago. -$170
Went to a local radioshack that was closing bought THREE Pro 652's on clearance -$240
Now I want to be future proof for the inevitable P25 Phase II....and along comes a deal -$300

This website exists to drain my bank account.

ND8D

I'm curious. Is Whistler supporting the RS radios as well for firmware upgrades, or are you SOL when RS finally goes under?

To your point, if you look at the Radioshack website they are stocking Whistler scanners, perhaps they are going to de-brand their line of scanners and just sell Whistler for now.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Folks, anyone know what programming cable is required for the Pro668? Is it the same cable as used with the Pro652? Also suggestions on AC adapter?
Thanks

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
The big question, will Whisler stand behind the "warrantee" and do repairs and also as mentioned have available new firmware upgrades to there RS built products??...

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro--669 $299.99 at Radio Shack

What a great price. Someone up there asked what the cable looked like. It's going to be the same cable of the GRE-PSR-800 and WS1080. Here's what my WS1080 looks like. It's only about 2ft long and I didn't want it tethered so close to my PC so I have a 6 ft USB extension cord too, keeps the scanner out of the way of the PC nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
To your point, if you look at the Radioshack website they are stocking Whistler scanners, perhaps they are going to de-brand their line of scanners and just sell Whistler for now.

Yes, but there was huge difference in firmware between the GRE and RS products. So now my question is...if I buy this radio and the Shack goes under, will the Whistler updates work on the RS radio.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
quick question on the Pro668 is the PC programming cable INCLUDED? If not, what is the Radio Shack part number? I cannot find this info on the RS site.
Thanks

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@N2MWE - I don't know how "huge" a difference it would be... for 3 weeks I ran my WS1080 ON the GRE-PSR800 EZScan software and last firmware update from the GRE America page. It worked fine. *I had deleted EZScan by mistake and after calling Whistler they said they were putting their version of EZScan on their website. In the meantime I used it as a PSR-800, even said so on the welcome screen. The answer is of course...call Whistler and find out.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@2006WALT - It's under the TECH Specs tab
Included in the box
Pro-668
Rubber ducky antenna
Interface cable*******
2GB microSD card
Belt clip

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
thanks, I see it now. I contacted RS chat and they advised me to buy the 20-546 cable and that that is the wrong cable.Guess I cannot trust the RS folks

dkf435

quick question on the Pro668 is the PC programming cable INCLUDED? If not, what is the Radio Shack part number? I cannot find this info on the RS site.
Thanks

The 668 comes with the short antenna, plastic non swivel belt clip, and mini USB cable. The radio contains a micro SD card with ALL SOFTWARE ON CARD there is NO CD INCLUDED, so back you card up and burn it to CD as I have not seen a online copy of the software yet.

David Kb7uns

budevans

Currently the answer is no, Whistler can not support the RS firmware.

But, it has been posted that Whistler is staying in contact with RS and has offered to take over the support.

Also, for those that asked about using the Whister firmware on the 668. It won't work.

If you try to install the Whistler firmware on to a 668, you will end up with a non-functioning scanner (brick). If you don't have a copy of the original 668 firmware to re-install you won't have a way to restore your 668 to working order.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
I will buy the Pro668 and hope for the best. Sorry for dumb question, how do I back-up the software and firmware from the SD card? Do I get a SD reader, plug in my PC and simply copy all the files? Sorry I never backed up software and firmware. Tnx.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro-668. questions

No need to worry about that until you get the scanner. I actually saved a copy of EZScan folder to a 32gb flash drive. Also saved my completed EZScan sheet with updates to a different MicroSD card. Did the 4gb card that came with the scanner, then took it out, put in the new 32gb card and uploaded the same completed form to that. So I have two cards with the latest updates. The "firmware" is downloaded ON the I-SCAN program in the "updates" tab it's all on the MicroSD card. I have a MicroSD card with sleeve that goes into the card reader of the PC, photo* but I usually just update and transfer everything with the cable hooked up to the Scanner. $300 is a great price for these scanners.

scooterbe21

Pro-668

I went on-line and checked it out. After much deliberation, I decided to buy one. I put one in my shopping cart and went to pay for it. I see that I can use my PayPal account to buy it, so I logged in to PayPal. After reviewing my order and everything was correct, I click the confirm order button. I was redirected back to the Radio Shack web site where the price was $499. I went back tot he web site and it was listed for $299. I tried to pay for again with PayPal and was redirected back to the Radio Shack web site at the higher price. I called the company and they said that the promotion was over and they could not honor the $299 price. No wonder they are going out of business.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Must have been a one day sale, it's back up to $399. I had my card out, ready to jump on it. Oh well, I shouldn't be buying anything right now anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.