HELP - Feed Offline/Feed Online emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting automated emails stating my feed is offline, probably 20 a day. Then, within a few minutes I receive another stating the feed in back online after I have made no changes or even been in the office to touch the computer. Feed was working fine up until a few days ago when we had a power surge. Computer is on UPS, and I have restarted the machine, made sure software is up to date, and stopped and started the feed on the software to try to 'reset' it. I'm not a computer guru, please help. Thanks

Could be your router. I had a similar problem seemingly every hour almost like clock work I would get an offline email. Turned out my router was just tired from running 24/7 for a couple years. I have two streams coming here, my web site where I offer direct streaming, plus a family. Consumer stuff just is not made for that kind of continuous use.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
There are several of us dealing with disconnect issues lately.

If your feed is connected to audio3.radioreference.com, please do us a favor and follow the steps in Post 29 here -->> http://forums.radioreference.com/li...957-feed-goes-down-same-time-every-night.html

Could be your router. I had a similar problem seemingly every hour almost like clock work I would get an offline email. Turned out my router was just tired from running 24/7 for a couple years. I have two streams coming here, my web site where I offer direct streaming, plus a family. Consumer stuff just is not made for that kind of continuous use.

LOL you think 20kbps worth of continuous traffic from your streams puts ANY strain on your router?? Come on now. Yes, electronics wear out, but it's going to be from power surges and user faults like improper overclocking, not "continuous use". One of my access points is an old WRT54G that I've had for probably 12 years.. It has seen literally petabytes of data flowing through it.

There are several of us dealing with disconnect issues lately.

If your feed is connected to audio3.radioreference.com, please do us a favor and follow the steps in Post 29 here -->> http://forums.radioreference.com/li...957-feed-goes-down-same-time-every-night.html

LOL you think 20kbps worth of continuous traffic from your streams puts ANY strain on your router?? Come on now. Yes, electronics wear out, but it's going to be from power surges and user faults like improper overclocking, not "continuous use". One of my access points is an old WRT54G that I've had for probably 12 years.. It has seen literally petabytes of data flowing through it.
:roll:

Ah yes the mysterious "power surges" like back in the day when every problem with a computer was caused by a virus.

My router, cable modem, all my computers, and all my scanners are on a 2KVA Controlled Ferro-Resonant UPS. I have whole house surge protection at my breaker box and even a surge suppression on my phone and coax at the ground block.

I do not get "power surges".

I have a probably replaced my WRT54G's three times since I started running my feeds. They become unreliable and start dropping out over time. This time I bought a WRT610N, the 54G has outlived it's usefulness anyway. Even Broadband Hamnet is abandoning them due to their limitations.

But if you really want to find out if it's Broadcastify or your setup.

Setup your own stream server and have someone at a remote location (not on your LAN) monitor it directly. Just play some music so the audio is continuous. For Windows users Shoutcast-DNAS plus the SHOUTcast Source DSP for WinAmp are all free and make it very easy to stream a playlist of MP3's.

If the Broadcastify feed is down and your music feed is up, it's Broadcastify or somewhere in between.

If the Broadcastify feed is down and your music feed is down, it's you or your ISP.

By recruiting a few of my regular listeners to give me feed reports is how I have traced my last feed problem down to me or Broadcastify.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
:roll:

Ah yes the mysterious "power surges" like back in the day when every problem with a computer was caused by a virus.

My router, cable modem, all my computers, and all my scanners are on a 2KVA Controlled Ferro-Resonant UPS. I have whole house surge protection at my breaker box and even a surge suppression on my phone and coax at the ground block.

I do not get "power surges".

I have a probably replaced my WRT54G's three times since I started running my feeds. They become unreliable and start dropping out over time. This time I bought a WRT610N, the 54G has outlived it's usefulness anyway. Even Broadband Hamnet is abandoning them due to their limitations.

But if you really want to find out if it's Broadcastify or your setup.

Setup your own stream server and have someone at a remote location (not on your LAN) monitor it directly. Just play some music so the audio is continuous. For Windows users Shoutcast-DNAS plus the SHOUTcast Source DSP for WinAmp are all free and make it very easy to stream a playlist of MP3's.

If the Broadcastify feed is down and your music feed is up, it's Broadcastify or somewhere in between.

If the Broadcastify feed is down and your music feed is down, it's you or your ISP.

By recruiting a few of my regular listeners to give me feed reports is how I have traced my last feed problem down to me or Broadcastify.

LOL ok. I can count on less than one hand the number of "worn out" routers I have ever replaced... Compared to the dozens I sell every storm season. The WRT54G is one of the most reliable routers ever made. The only reason they're being deprecated is because they're G, and everyone is migrating to N and AC.

I guarantee it's not my setup. Unlike any of the other people having the exact same problem maintaining a connection to audio3.radioreference.com, there is not a single piece of "consumer grade" equipment between my streamer and Broadcastify. I have my own DNS. The only "consumer grade" equipment in my network are my APs - which work just fine, even though they have nothing to do with the stream.

aMpKT88.jpg

The top switch is the main one for my internal network. The red box is my firewall/router (Watchguard Firebox X550e running pfSense 2.1.5). The top server runs my AD/DNS server.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.