BCT15X: GPS for base unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdue

Premium Subscriber
I bought the BC-GPSK for my BCT15X only to find out it gets its power from an adapter that plugs into cigarette lighter/power outlet in your car...I don't even drive....I use this unit as a base and I guess the adapter puts 5V into the GPS...Is their a way to use the GPS in my home base unit?...Thanks.

ResQguy

Meh
what possible use could you have for GPS in your house?
up-movie-1.jpeg
If you really need to, use this: http://www.amazon.com/Cellet-700-Wa...25146675&sr=8-10&keywords=cigarette+plug+home

Voyager

Motor home? Live in Kansas?

Otherwise, not sure what use a GPS will do you.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Probably for the same reason I ran one on my 996's.

There's no easy way to turn location based scanning on or off and no way to set a default location.

I used one set of files for my mobile and base and kept an old GPS plugged in at home so my base wouldn't scan frequencies and sites too far away.

Now that I've got a 536HP as my mobile, I've edited my 996XT files to lockout anything out of range and I don't need the GPS anymore.

N9JIG

Sheriff
For an actual answer to your question:

I bought the BC-GPSK for my BCT15X only to find out it gets its power from an adapter that plugs into cigarette lighter/power outlet in your car...I don't even drive....I use this unit as a base and I guess the adapter puts 5V into the GPS...Is their a way to use the GPS in my home base unit?...Thanks.

You can find 120v to 12v adapters with cigar lighter jacks at electronics stores such as Radio Shack (if there are any left...) Fryes, Best Buy etc.

Absent that you could rig up something else like tapping 12VDC from the radio's power supply or using some other 12VDC supply.

jackdue

Premium Subscriber
GPS

Thank you all for your help....I have taken your advice and returned this unit....I realize now that I bought this in error...Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.