Universal Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird63

Anyone have any positive or negative dealings with them??
I normally use HRO and love their service. But HRO doesn't sell the end fedz wire antenna.

15plus1

I've made maybe 10 or so purchases from Universal over the last 3 or 4 years. Never had a problem. Always found their prices to be fair. A satisfied customer.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Similar experience to 15Plus1.

I have been to their store. Mom/Pop store but nice showroom. Small staff so online purchases and emails are not as timely as the bigger stores. I would do business with them again.

Mike

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I've bought a few radios from them over the years. As others have said, great people, they are a little slow to ship (3-4 days sometimes, but who isn't it seems every e-tailer is getting that way, even Amazon).

They are good people, and IMO, their website is one of the BEST references for equipment. They put out a nice catalog too.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I have several things purchased from there. Pretty fast shipping. No complaints.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Pretty fast shipping. No complaints.

Not to derail the conversation, but when you say "fast", does that mean your orders are shipped out the SAME DAY you pay?

In my cases, Universal Radio and Giga Parts all took an average of 3 days to get an order shipped out from the time I paid them, whereas HRO consistently ships out everything I have ordered the SAME DAY (in all cases, I always place orders early in the morning as most shipping companies usually make late morning or afternoon/end of day pickups). This happens even when they don't have the item in the Atlanta store (the last radio I ordered came from DC/Virginia but yet was still shipped out that day). HRO also doesn't charge for shipping on orders over $100 for standard UPS ground. That is a nice plus but I realize not everyone gets that great a discount from the shipping cartels.

Not detracting from the service of the Universal, but 3 days is quite a bit of time. I get that they have a showroom to run and aren't like Amazon who does not, but it seems like it isn't THAT hard to put something in a box, print a label, and ship it out within 24 hours of when someone pays you.

I do it all the time when I sell or trade something online. And I have a job and run a household too. IJS.

freebird63

Ya HRO is great to deal with. I ordered an end fedz wire antenna early last week and have yet to hear anything from them. Even sent an email inquiring about my order.
I figure if I don't hear from by Tuesday I will call and cancel the order..

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Why not CALL them the next day if you don't hear anything?
Sometimes things happen with online orders.

In all the orders I placed with their competitors, I always called by the 2nd day when I didn't hear anything, only to be told, "it's in the queue to be shipped" or "we've just been very busy with orders".

Sometimes a simple timely phone call can clear things up quickly.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have purchased new and used items from Universal having ordered online and over the phone. I received a phone call once when an item was not in stock and they were ready to ship the other items on the order. They recommended an alternative product and I approved. The recommended device has worked flawlessly.

As noted earlier, just give them a call when you have not received a notice after a day or two. After you receive your antenna and have a chance to try it out a few times, come back and create a post about your experience with it.

RodStrong

Bought 5-10 items (mostly power supplies) in recent years from Universal, with no problems. I consider them a trustworthy vendor.

Good luck.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Universal is a small local store run by fellow HAMs. There staff is knowledgeable and helpful and they have repair techs on staff. They have fair prices and will treat you right. They have a nice website which is easy to use and put out a nice catalog too.

I have visited there many times over the last 20 years or so. They never have much "in stock" when I go there nor do they have a big warehouse. I believe most of their items are shipped from other warehouses which may delay shipping. I but local so I have never ordered from them and had it shipped.

Last edited:

freebird63

Well I just spoke with them on the phone. The end fedz wire antenna I ordered is on backorder. He didn't really have a time line for when its expected. He did say I should have gotten an email saying it was on backorder...but didn't.
But on a lighter side, this will be my high country antenna for my truck....well all the high country still has snow here. So am not worried.

n5ypj

I've dealt with Universal Radio in the past and was always satisfied with their service and would do it again. They are also a good source for good clean used gear that works.

captncarp

I have bought a couple of Yaseu's and a bunch of accessories from them over a half a dozen years.
Nice transactions and I look forword to doing buisness with them again.

k8krh

I have dealt with them since 1960, at their old store and also at the newer location, no problem at all very satisfied..
DOCTOR/795

Status
Not open for further replies.