Want to get started with DSD+

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
Recently my local authorities have switched from analog to kenwood nexedge radios, and of course its just too quiet in my house now. lol. I have been reading and looking into the DSD setup and I just wanted to make sure I have the basics of it. I was looking at a uniden bc350c to install a discriminator tap, then all I need to do is download the software. Is that correct? Is that a good scanner to install the tap on? Any advice on setup or equipment is greatly appreciated, I feel a little lost and unsure and don't want to waste money, of course. Thanks

jfhtm350

Any scanner that will recieve the frequencies you want to monitor will work. Some scanners are easier to tap than others. Then all you need is DSD+ and an audio cable and a line input or microphone jack on your computer. If the agency is encrypted then nothing will work.

You may want to look around this site:
FAQ Discriminator Output
and here:
Discriminator output - The RadioReference Wiki
to help decide.

frazpo

There is also an option of using the cheap software defined radio dongle. $10 or so.
Free software. There are plenty of posts and people that will assist you with any settings. Which are few.

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I am still working and reading. The links for the disc. output are the bomb, they helped me tremendously, thanks.

wbswetnam

I got into using DSD+ a couple of months ago - just "playing around" mostly. I have a Uniden 355C (similar to your 350C) and I considered tapping it, but the electrical connections are so tiny that I decided to tap my Radio Shack Pro-96 instead - it has a convenient "tapping pole" popping up from the circuit board. I connected a 10K ohm resister between it and the center connector on a 1/8" miniature mono socket, I grounded the other lug of the mono socket to the heat shield on the circuit board. Then I drilled a hole in the case and mounted the socket onto the case. Voila! I had a tapped scanner!
Not much is said about the actual cable to connect between the scanner tap and the microphone on the computer. This took some experimentation. I have a laptop computer with one socket for microphone and speaker output. It turns out that this needs a four contact plug! I got hold of a Y-splitter for this purpose, and I connected a mono-to-stereo adapter to one end of a 1/8" stereo cable and the other end of the stereo cable (also terminating with a 1/8" plug) I connected to the microphone tail of the Y-adapter. The audio out of the Y-adapter of course can be connected to headphones or an amplified speaker. I plugged the mono-to-stereo adapter into the scanner tap socket. So, now I had my connection to the computer.
Finally, I downloaded and installed DSD+ according to instructions you already have. Hint: You also need to set the audio input of your computer correctly! If you have trouble with this step let me know and I'll walk you through it.
It took a bit of fiddling with DSD+ and the computer to get all of the settings just right, but now I can monitor my local police dispatching on DMR - they are silent no more!
Best of luck with it.

waterrat

Premium Subscriber
I looked in the 350c and decided that was too tiny for my old eyes and big hands. Found out how to do an old 145xl, its so much bigger with lots of room. Had to order some more resistors, didn't have any 10k left. I had no idea about the cord, why does it have to have a four contact plug when its just a mono coming out of the scanner?

jfhtm350

You can put a mono jack in and buy a mono to stereo adapter which is extra cost.

Also you could just make a cable with mono and stereo ends and just jump the left and right channels in the connector which also is extra cost but I couldnt find a cable locally that was over 6' so I went this route since I needed one 7' long.

Another option is to install a stereo jack in the scanner and jump the left and right channels on the jack. That way all you need is a stereo cable.

wbswetnam

The four contact plug on the Y-adapter is to plug into the jack on the laptop computer, not the scanner.

I opted to put a mono 1/8" jack in the scanner for simplicity's sake in wiring it to the resister and the ground in the scanner's innards, that's all. I already had a 1/8" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter in my junk box so I decided to use that instead of getting myself confused with wiring the jack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.