• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Manual Tuning a old TRAM D201 HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Manual Tuning a old TRAM D201
Anyone know how to do this? Seems strange to tune manually especially with extra channels. The tuning number doesn't match the station. Help Ron

Attachments

• 20150228_1.JPG
    20150228_1.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,074
  • 20150228_2.JPG
    20150228_2.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,181

KB0VWG

Cant help you with that question but just wanted to say pretty cool Trams.
Always wanted one of those.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

LoyalServant

I know it came up in another thread about the channel selectors getting wonky on these.
I did look at a few on ebay to see about making a replacement.

IIRC the selector was just a couple of colpitts oscillators and the crystals were switched.
Seems like it would drift around but I guess back then it did not matter.

I like those. Good show pieces.

Chui56

Ron search for Tram manual, I will get the sequence wrong but here goes, set crystal/manual switch to manual..set both tuning dials to channel 12, pull calibration button out.rotate manual tuning knob until zero beat is heard. Zero beat is obtained by turning knob above channel 12 and slowly turning back towards center a loud beat note should be heard, decreasing in pitch as channel 12 is approached. Continue rotating in the same direction and a beat note increasing in pitch can be heard, zero beat is when you can't hear the two beats anymore, it is calibrated when there is no beat close to channel 12. I went back and forth a couple of times and it worked on mine, if you crystal function is aligned right.

BrettL

Trams rock. They were my first base radios. Both the 201 and 201a. Those things rejected bleed over like no other. Great sound from receiving dx signals. They always need to be loved and cared for. Kissed, hugged, and talk to. I kept mine covered after they cooled off a bit. I also would put a fan on mine. I never mounted it. Keeps ya warm in the winter!

JayMojave

Hello Darticus: This is a old thread so hope this helps out some.

CBTricks . com has the owners manual and schematic diagram. A well written I must say.

Tram Diamond Corp. Model D201A

Good Luck, I bought one that was not all working right, but after some time fixed it. Loud and Proud.

I added/placed a small quiet fan in the back to keep it semi cool as it gets really hot other wise. The Tram D201A have a problem with the Channel Select Switch as it is intermittent at times, and there is no replacement that I know about. I use a short piece of 3/8" rubber tubing to place pressure on the channel select knob, it is wedged between the lower chassis lip and the channel select knob.

There are DSS VFO circuits out there that can replace the old crystal mixing circuit, have even seen one on U-Tube. Food for though.

Jay in the Mojave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.