Your thoughts on mobile scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I decided to post here and gather thoughts on the matter As title says. the reason I ask is something just recent that seemed disturbing to me. A fellow I know decent guy ham radio operator and scanner buff whom also works for the government has a antenna on his truck. Just recent a vehicle was seen using some sort of hide away beacons and strobes which is not uncommon with the teens around here in parking lots The cheap deals you would find at the auto stores etc. Any how he was home and I was with him and he was scanning and hamming when we heard 2 deputies discussing one seen a vehicle speed by mentioned above using those. The next thing said was are you familiar with that individual with the vehicle (basically to t describing my buddies) and telling the other I believe it was that individual. The other replied negative it was more of this or this and the other insisted it was what he thinks. So obviously he (my buddy) was concerned because they gave his vehicle description when it was not even him. I told him not to worry about it. But he removed his antenna fearing he'd be wrongfully stopped and cited for equipment he does not have. I told him in that case that is what filing complaints are for and such. After a few days he shrugs it off and puts it back on. On the way home from his work he was stopped for "strutting the line during a lane change" and being checked for dui. Anyhow the deputy commented on his antenna and equipment saying we are watching your type all over and it is illegal. He said excuse me? The deputy said we don't take kind to impersonation here. He explained it's for ham use and his personal hobby nothing more. The deputy told him who do you need to talk to while out here driving only terrorists and impersonators have this stuff. Anyhow he was let go. But ever since he gets followed and basically harassed Followed for while plate and. Name ran several times then when that one turns off another down road will do a U turn. And follow doing same thing. Just because one wanted to play the blame game. I told him to file complaint and document every harassing incident as it occurs. We are in a state where ham use is heavy and scanning is legal Mobile on person in vehicle etc. He has filed complaints but he has withdrawn from scanning or hamming mobile now. Your thoughts?

scannerdel

I'd be pissed off if this was me, I'd document all the harassment (because that's what it is) and lawyer up. Those cops are power crazed. He should remain calm and get names, badge #'s etc and stand up for his rights.
I had a mobile scanner in my old car for years and loved it, never had any problems at all, thankfully.
Please keep us posted on the situation. If necessary he should contact the local TV news, they eat this stuff up. Bad publicity the cops don't want.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Darn I wanted to see if he was from GIBSON Co, Indiana. Jack booted thugs for cops in that county.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like some misinformed police officers trying to enforce laws they know nothing about. I personally have a scanner and ham radio in my vehicle and I have never been harassed by the police in that manner, I wouldn't let it bother you and put your antennas back on because there is nothing illegal about what your doing.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Police officers are trained to find probable cause and articulate that into a reasonable person model and use that as PC to initiate a stop if they choose to. The real question is what occurred other than the antennas on the car to bring their attention to the vehicle?

Does this "buddy" have emergency lighting or warning equipment installed? What make and model of vehicle is it?

There are many more questions than answers. I have an antenna on my car, a single Larsen dual band, and a Motorola XTL2500. I've never had a cop ask me about it. They are more interested in a bumper sticker I have that reads "More Cops...Less Stadium" and usually gets a friendly dialogue going.

I've never been pulled over in this car yet.

Something doesn't add up about the story about "your buddy" and his ham radio.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
An antenna is one thing but when you start installing lights and buying old police vehicles, etc. it puts you in a description class which may get you stopped and investigated should you fit the description of an impersonation suspect, and this is legal and not harassment.

I never thought twice when I saw a car with antennas but I see no reason for an amateur's car, or anyone else's to have lights or appear like a police vehicle (except volunteer fire/EMS or road safety type vehicles of course). Just because strobe lights, etc. can be purchased does not make them legal. I have stopped, and arrested persons for impersonating and officer (and worse) in these situations.

If your buddy actually works for the government a professional call to the Chief of Police may reduce or stop any further actions, he just needs to let them know who he is.

This is like the days when everyone dressed the same, Raiders jackets, hats etc. then cried profiling when stopped because officers had a description involving the same. If you all look the same expect to be stopped.

Last edited:

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The deputy told him who do you need to talk to while out here driving only terrorists and impersonators have this stuff.
Sounds a lot like the encounters some of my fellow aircraft spotters have had. Basically, what you have is Officers that are ill informed on what is, lets face it, a somewhat obscure hobby. Your buddy needs to have a conversation with the Sheriff.

What the heck is going on in NM?
That's what I'd like to know! For the record, I've never been "hassled" or otherwise engaged by law enforcement because of my spotting activities or due to the antenna on my car. Heck, I've even got stobe lights in my rear window too.

dmg1969

Something smells fishy. I have never heard of someone being hassled for having an antenna on their vehicle. I agree with others...there is obviously more to this story.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Maybe the O/P can follow up and provide some much needed details, such as the type of vehicle, if there are any lights, emergency warning equipment and/or markings, and what specifically they do for "the government".

Until then, I concur with the observations that someone did something other than just "driving while hamming" to get the po-po's attention drawn to them.

Voyager

The deputy was likely ticked he didn't see any or couldn't find any lights on the vehicle he pulled over, and had to come up with something.

Almost every vehicle has antennas on. There is nothing illegal about that as long as they are not obscuring your field of vision. Your buddy should carry a copy of his FCC license (laminated for durability) with him for any future reference. When asked about the antennas, he can just show that and that should end all discussion.

But, antennas - one of the side benefits of the CB craze which of course no longer exists and hasn't for decades. But, back then everyone had more than one antenna on their vehicle.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Something is missing from the story.

I was pulled over once, and the cop spotted the radios and a bunch of equipment in the back. He asked what that was all about, so I told him about ham radio and the VHF/UHF contest I was participating in. We spent about 10 minutes talking about it, and he ended up telling me some great spots to operate in.

It's all about attitude.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I was stopped once by a sherif's deputy and he questioned my BC125AT scanner in the cup holder. I told him I enjoyed listening to the cops and airplanes. I asked him why did he ask me about it. He stated that most people with scanners are people trying to avoid cops. LOL. So, maybe that's why we get "hassled" by cops. It's the criminals giving us all a bad name.

SCPD

QRT
To answer a few questions. The vehicle is not a crown Victoria or any of that nature. Just your plane jane 4 door family looking car. No emergency lights or equipment was ever installed or purchased. He works for a government entity And has no criminal record.

As for a update he inquired more to higher levels about it. One thing mentioned was his outtings driving or traveling in the county to various places such as parks or tourist areas that seemed to them "over normal" Then the average person would do. He does travel and do allot of outdoor recreational activities. Nothing illegal nothing to impersonate and does not chase ambulances or go to fire or police calls. They did mention they were lookong for a vehicle using strobe type lights snd defending the deputy as spotting what he recalled was possibly the vehicle later making a lane change where his tires rode the Skip lines too long something possibly a impaired driver would do and was checked for impairment under the influence of drugs or alcolhol And during was inquired about emergency vehicle equipment on his vehicle.

However to shed more light which i wasnt aware of this till i asked this morning he and another would get harassed by Co workers with jokes about looking like the mall cop from a movie and jokes would start forming about when he goes out to travel he is the enforcer and asked so do you play cop with all those antennas and the other ham big on portables would be called reno 911 and jokes of being his dispatcher by the harassing jokers which they are the only 2 into scanning and radio equipment hobbies. Being a government entity it's a small world and to me sounds like the jokes got to wrong person and someone took those jokes seriously Feeding the one deputy which by chance is related to one of the heavy jokers of you out playing enforcer with those antennas. So it is obvious why the deputy thought of his vehicle in first place. I told him he needs to consult his human resources regarding harassment from the jokes during the work hours and talk to a lawyer about the rest. To me this is the only logical explanation the jokes got out of hand by some who thought it was humorous to throw the mall cop highway enforcer at him and the jokes not being seen lightly and hear say being taken seriously. Unless which I'd hate to believe they watch anyone with antennas with nothing better to do Assuming if you have antennas you must have lights.

There is nothing else missing as some I noticed are trying to throw him under a bus slamming the wanna be on him or illegal activity on him. He is a family man and very decent right minded person. This is the only problems he has ever had with law enforcement And it only started he said a month or two after the jokes started In his work place.

SCPD

QRT
Something is missing from the story.

I was pulled over once, and the cop spotted the radios and a bunch of equipment in the back. He asked what that was all about, so I told him about ham radio and the VHF/UHF contest I was participating in. We spent about 10 minutes talking about it, and he ended up telling me some great spots to operate in.

It's all about attitude.

Well with what I just posted that is possibly what was missing. As for attitude he never gave them a hard time. It has been more they get aggressive at him immediately upon making The contact in a defending nature of why or what there doing.

SCPD

QRT
Maybe the O/P can follow up and provide some much needed details, such as the type of vehicle, if there are any lights, emergency warning equipment and/or markings, and what specifically they do for "the government".

Until then, I concur with the observations that someone did something other than just "driving while hamming" to get the po-po's attention drawn to them.

The vehicle is a honda and as added no lights or emergency lights in or on vehicle. He is a radio techician in municipal city. However works in a merged building where various departments work out of for paper work snd file them etc and the actual radio shop is located else where That the radio job maint is conducted the others aren't permitted at.

I disagree with the ending portion. People are mistaken all the time but like I added which I didn't know the person's at the one admin building would give him allot of jokes about being a enforcer since his car had antennas snd nobody else was into the hobby or understands scanning. One of the main ones being related to a deputy. I believe a similiar car was seen and right away he was assumed Due to the Joker being related to that deputy And it getting back to him at some point before the initial spotting. I was there when the description was given and to add the vehicle hadn't been driven due to mechanical issues for at leat a month up to that day which is why I was there helping fix the mechanical issues. This is how we heard it as working on it and had the scanners on.

Status
Not open for further replies.