radio shack pro-106 charging problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbog

Premium Subscriber
I have a pro 106 that will not charge recharable batteries. They are in the yellow holder.
I checked for voltage on the terminals with ac adapter on.I checked on my pro 649 it charges fine and
shows voltage on termainls Is this a known problem. Is there a fuse inside or something that breaks.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Do you have a correct battery type set in the scanner? You need to go into your settings and change your battery from Alkaline to a rechargeable type (NiMH or NiCad) and then follow this with a Charge Time (in hours). The Pro-106 will not charge if you have it set to Alkaline, unless it is turned off at which point it no longer controls charging and will charge regardless of settings.

Note that charging in your scanner is generally considered a bad idea by anyone who has owned one of these units for any period of time. There are plenty of people on these forums who will tell you to get an external (smart) charger. There have been several recorded instances of battery meltdowns and charging in your scanner may end up reducing the lifespan of the batteries.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
How long have you had the Pro-106?
Has it ever charged before now?
Do you get voltage on the charging port of the 106?
It may be a fuse or it may be more. If you bought it off ebay you may want to return it or live with it.

GeneseeCoMI

I agree with Spitfire. Get an external charger. I got a wireless one that works with AA and AAA. Just stick them in and plug it in the wall. Works twice as fast as the in-scanner method and much easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.