90 days evaluation WS1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

Have had a ws 1080 for 90 days now, my impressions fair, 1) in a area where they repeat p25ii on 800 band, my grey 500 does a better job decoding sometimes, and its far from perfect, my 436hp is more clear, 2) i have done all the updates, still have issues, can have them side by side and the ws 1080 can even miss motorola 800nhz, that my 396T can get, have worked on. 3) setting below a freq. just a touch, still no effect, worked on squelch still no difference. even my pro 197 sounds better,it has no distortion like the grey 500 or the ws 1080 my HP1, does a great job also 3 miles from dispatch towers, any suggestions

thanks

Ed6698

First suggestion when doing comparisons, do not have scanners side by side, due to RF interference, some have suggested not even in the same room.

Last edited:

dwayne0564

had the 436hp and 1080 , had them 3 feet apart, (checking for cross interference) sam e affect, also did it with several together, same issue, and 5 feet apart, and across the room, current software for both and freq. up to date,

Ed6698

Any computers or TVs in the vicinity? I have read from others on here adjusting the DSP Level Adapt down under settings in the 1080 helps. Some times it just comes down to actual physical location, some scanners perform better or worse then others.

dwayne0564

no there not close, and have even done it in my truck, got away from the area, Motorola works great, anywhere, P25ii just isn't what i expected, even compared to the gre 500 and the 436hp kills it, even the 396t does

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have had the 1080 for 6 months. The comment "the 436hp kills it" just about sums up my impressions. Among the 4 different types of digital handhelds I own, my raking is 436hp, 396xt, PRO-106, and last, the WS1080. The lack of any software other than EZ-Scan is also a big negative. And the 1095 won!t even have the IF/discriminator output. I will let others have that scanner..
I posted a thread the fiRST day I had the 1080 and stated that there was not even a close comparison with my 436hp. After trying it for 6 months, I feel the same way. A big disappointment in my opinion.
Steve AA6IO

Ed6698

The 436 has to many negatives IMO to even consider buying it, that makes it a disappointment to me IMO. Before the WS1080 even came out I had the 436 in the Cart several times to purchase, I just could not click the Submit payment for some reason. So glad I did not purchase the 436 and waited for the 1080 to come out. It all depends on user location and preference to features of a radio. Every ones reasons and opinions are different.

Ed6698

What negatives are you speaking of?

I feel this does not need to be discussed in this thread, the OP is asking about suggestions about the WS1080. Then the post started to get redirected and I should have not followed suit with what I posted, as neither post helps the OP.

gbriden

I own 2 scanners both Apco25 Phase I & II compatable for me the main reason 1 is better than the other is almost allways dependant on the Antenne attached.

As soon as I use an aftermarket antenna designed more for the range I listen to the radio with this antenna instantly becomes the better unit.

I guess my main point is if you are using the antenna you got with the radio look for something aftermarket and things will improve greatly.

Ed6698

I totally agree with you about antenna usage. I have few different ones I use, Diamond RH77CA, RS800mhz, and a RS Telescoping antenna. There are times I just use the stock antenna and it works just fine. Depends on the weather or time of the season sometimes, there are different factors that can effect reception. Most of the time just going upstairs in my house improves things to the point I only need the stock antenna.

SCPD

QRT
This made my 1080 receive better. Remove all sites that you can't receive. Remove all channels in sites that you can receive that is not the current control channel. Just remember that the control channel can change at anytime and you will have to repeat the process. I've been lucky they don't move the control channel around in my area so I haven't had to deal with reprogramming radio yet.

W6KRU

As soon as I hook my Uniden scanners to an outside antenna the audio becomes largely unintelligible. My GRE/Whistler scanners do not have this problem. My WS1080 is my main scanner that sees daily use.

TAbirdman

The lack of any software other than EZ-Scan is also a big negative. And the 1095 won!t even have the IF/discriminator output. I will let others have that scanner..

Steve AA6IO

Wondering: Why is not having 3rd party software a big negative? With the IF output, isn't the 1080 the only one with it built in as all other radios you need to "open it up" to have it? For the 1095 not having it, why is that a negative, it would be just like any other radio right?

Blackswan73

I personally find the 1080, and cousin, 668, to be excellent radios. Not having to pay an additional money for software is also a big plus for me. But being able to input just my zip code and start scanning was the clincher. I also have a 651, and a 652. But my main goto radio is my 1080, with a few extra features the 668 does not have

mhscan

Scannerbuff999 Duplicate Account
Banned
i never got why wound you buy a radio that you can change the freq without a computer
i am go the go a lot anyway it would be a big pain to always have a computer close

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Bought my GRE PSR-800 (WS1080) on March 17, 2011. My 1443 day evaluation makes it my go to scanner by far. Has proven to be a real workhorse and works like the day I bought it. Can't wait for the WS1095.

EDIT... Radio doesn't work like the day I bought it. With firmware upgrades we owned the only radio for the longest time that would now pick up P25 Phase II

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.