please use caution

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitbr

A friend of mine recently had his home broken into after posting pictures of his shack online he is a ham.
It was noted on the police report that the crook stated he got the idea after looking at a picture of his radio setup online.

Remember your ham license is public record, and often is connected to your address.
As much as I enjoy looking at the pictures of these shacks please be aware of this so your not a victim.
Tim

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
This is exactly why people should not use their callsigns on forums, and not post pictures of license plates, serial numbers, etc. The argument that people shouldn't "hide behind screen names" is completely invalid, as there are many people that would love nothing more than to take advantage of you. Same goes for amateur radio vanity plates, using your callsign as a wifi name, etc.

On the same topic, those here that outfit their vehicles to look like LE by way of antenna setups should reconsider based on all of the threats being received by LE every day. The "enemy" (i'll leave it at that) would love nothing more than to kill as many LEO's as possible, and having a vehicle that looks somewhat like a police car puts a target on your back. It also tells everyone else "please vandalize my car".

AC7NT

IMO being former Military with LE background only adds to my tool box of options, it does not make me an easier target to deal with. If you think your call sign puts you in jeopardy of being attacked, or driving around a Crown Vic makes you a target, then train harder to not become one.

I agree that we are more at risk with the increase in violence against Law Enforcement Officers, Public Safety Personnel and our Military, and it pays to be more vigilant, not more paranoid. Focus on training and awareness to minimize risk of engagement. Train to overcome an attack, then mentally prepare and exercise based on that training to defend against it.

Mental attitude, training, and observational awareness will go a long ways to making a "harder target" out of anyone, anywhere. The level of effort it takes to accomplish this goal depends on ones situation, it is not a "one size fits all" application. Do not mistake preparedness for paranoia, even if they are closely related.... (Grin).

Prepare for the worst case scenario, expect the best outcome and let the enemy know you are there.

AC7NT

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
IMO being former Military with LE background only adds to my tool box of options, it does not make me an easier target to deal with. If you think your call sign puts you in jeopardy of being attacked, or driving around a Crown Vic makes you a target, then train harder to not become one.

I agree that we are more at risk with the increase in violence against Law Enforcement Officers, Public Safety Personnel and our Military, and it pays to be more vigilant, not more paranoid. Focus on training and awareness to minimize risk of engagement. Train to overcome an attack, then mentally prepare and exercise based on that training to defend against it.

Mental attitude, training, and observational awareness will go a long ways to making a "harder target" out of anyone, anywhere. The level of effort it takes to accomplish this goal depends on ones situation, it is not a "one size fits all" application. Do not mistake preparedness for paranoia, even if they are closely related.... (Grin).

Prepare for the worst case scenario, expect the best outcome and let the enemy know you are there.

AC7NT

All extremely valid points, but my post was not aimed at people that are up on their game.

It is aimed at those that put their personal information out there without a second thought and/or make a target of themselves either by accident or because they want to look like something they are not.

We've all seen them....

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine recently had his home broken into after posting pictures of his shack online he is a ham.
It was noted on the police report that the crook stated he got the idea after looking at a picture of his radio setup online.

Remember your ham license is public record, and often is connected to your address.
As much as I enjoy looking at the pictures of these shacks please be aware of this so your not a victim.
Tim

I have and continue to recommend to all amateur radio license holders to use a Post Office Box for the address.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
My PO box address has been on my ham ticket for years!!!!!!!!!!

At my extra class exam, the VE questioned the PO and not physical address. I explained it is for just the reasons stated in this thread....he remarked, "good idea!"

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
wow

Maybe we will further need to hide our antenna setups as well.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Thanks mitbr for your post.

It makes us think about how secure we are when we put our information on the net for all to see.

Thanks again.

Russell

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
At the end of the day, if someone is set on committing a crime and has selected you to be a victim, there is little to do to prevent it. All one can do is be better prepared to respond.

Great tools for this are available from vendors such as Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer, Glock, Inc, Walther, Heckler and Koch, Beretta, etc. All of these vendors sell excellent hardware for the response to offenders who may be entering your home for the purpose of committing a crime.

But yes, one should always be careful what they post on so called social media.

rbm

At my home, I have 7 layers of security before they get to the front door.

Then, two more layers of security inside.

Then, Crimson Trace Lasers.

Then, the muzzle flashes from my Glocks do very well for emergency lighting.

But, I don't advertise my ham call, just in case. ;)

Rich

Edit: I forgot to mention the nine HD security cameras and instant video upload/storage to the internet so I have a record even if they ever could get to any of the computers or cameras.

One of the security cameras is VERY noticeable.
It always catches that ................. oh sh-- look! ;)

And an early morning prowler!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyNWAOxxt6A

Last edited:

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
At the end of the day, if someone is set on committing a crime and has selected you to be a victim, there is little to do to prevent it. All one can do is be better prepared to respond.

Great tools for this are available from vendors such as Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer, Glock, Inc, Walther, Heckler and Koch, Beretta, etc. All of these vendors sell excellent hardware for the response to offenders who may be entering your home for the purpose of committing a crime.

But yes, one should always be careful what they post on so called social media.

If they like sticking their nose in my business then they'll love the barrel of my 12 gauge.😆

dmg1969

If someone breaks in, they can play with my new puppy.

Attachments

• snarling-alastian.jpg
    snarling-alastian.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,985

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
While I do agree with those saying we should defend our properties and all that I also strongly believe that the first steps are to do whatever we can to prevent it from even happening or from being a target. After all, unless you sit at your home 24/7 there will be times you are not there and someone could break in. In this case, the only thing that might help would be having a guard dog on premises and/or an alarm system to summon police.

Prevention is just plain smart and the OP did have a good point. So yes, defend our property but also be careful to not put a big target on our property, etc.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Tim

Excellent advice! The same goes for firearm owners. I frequent a local Forum for gun owners, and it amazes me the number of people that post pictures of all their firearms, and ammo. Open safes, showing the complete contents of valuable collections. Pallets of ammunition. They even talk about where the safe is located!

To make things worse, they'll advertise when they're going away for vacation, or a hunting/fishing trip. Many have come home to find not only their firearms gone, but the entire safe as well!

PACNWDude

Prevention is always better than being stuck in a defensive posture. And eventually someone bigger and badder will come up against you. When it comes to a fight, even if you did not start it, odds are always 50/50.
There is a reason that you should never post anything in "real time". Posting pictures of: your radio shack, from several years back, previous vehicle, vacation from last year is best.
Never post anything that is current or you wouldn't want the world to know about.

W5JER

Not to mention most HAMs talk about vacations they take on the air all the time. I never understood why people do that. It's like telling the whole world you're going to be gone for two weeks so "come rob me!"

I have 2 dogs and a nice collection of arms and exercise our second amendment.

Just don't be stupid and talk about vacations on the air or anywhere on forums.

Prevention is always better than being stuck in a defensive posture. And eventually someone bigger and badder will come up against you. When it comes to a fight, even if you did not start it, odds are always 50/50.
There is a reason that you should never post anything in "real time". Posting pictures of: your radio shack, from several years back, previous vehicle, vacation from last year is best.
Never post anything that is current or you wouldn't want the world to know about.

I tend to take this posture with my "real life" social media postings. I never post real-time. It's always after-the-fact. I've had two cars stolen - one right out of my driveway. They were recovered, but all of the personal items inside them were taken. At this point, my family and I realize where we are and what we're dealing with. Security is a state of mind and a bunch of different things all put together, not necessarily any one thing.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And Then Some

One should always consider where they live too & be on the watch for who is in our neighborhoods who obviously doesn't belong, decent hard working American tax paying law abiding gun carrying citizens will always survive the criminalistic endeavors of the crack smoking refuse to work classless ilk that preys upon us ardent supporters of our policemen, Wake up America, the hour of decision is at hand, do we lay down like sheep & let the vermin kill us & our policemen or do we arm ourselves & fully support any & every effort our lawmen use to cease this wholesale rape, robbery, illegal crack cocaine sales to our children, & murder of us? I say no, what will you say when the ones you love fall victim to the jackals of the night

Support Your Local Police - The John Birch Society

Home - National Neighborhood Watch Institute

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.