Simple SDR# update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
I must be really stupid. I am not a PC user primarily. I need to update my SDR# from my current v1275 to at least 1294 in order to install Freq manager + scanner. I see the current version is 1333? I only installed my first and current version a week ago. Anyhow, how do I do a simple update? I know this should be as easy as tying shoelaces but I'm just not seeing it. I had a nightmare installing the original software and don't want to go through that again. Bullet point, dumb it down please and thanks in advance.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
SDR# | Software Defined Radio in C#

Click the DL button,
Youll get a ZIP/RAR..
drag folder to desktop,
open.
DBL-Click install..
Youll have 1333..

Easy-Peasy & Lemon Squeezy!

As far as plugins..the Plugins XML has to be updated
with the code for your plugin choices..
I have done all that and gotten as far as:
httpget.exe
install.bat
unzip.exe
I double click on install.bat and a terminal dialog box comes up that says "Installed latest version." and "The system cannot find the file specified" Press any key to continue. After that, nothing happens. When open my old version of SDR#, it is still the same old v1275

rbm

The latest downloaded version is always in the 'sdrsharp' sub-folder.

You either must run SDRSharp from there, or copy those (36 or so) files to the folder you run SDRSharp from.

However, you'll want to preserve your current SDRSharp.exe.Config file, Frequencies.xml file, and Plugins.xml file.
(Unless you really want to start all over from scratch again. ;) )

Rich

Last edited:

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
The latest downloaded version is always in the 'sdrsharp' sub-folder.

You either must run SDRSharp from there, or copy those (36 or so) files to the folder you run SDRSharp from.

However, you'll want to preserve your current SDRSharp.exe.Config file, Frequencies.xml file, and Plugins.xml file.
(Unless you really want to start all over from scratch again. ;) )

Rich
Thank you for trying to help and I do appreciate it. However you're speaking greek to me now.Copy what 36 files? There is no 36 files. Run SDR from where? How? I am not well versed in under the hood PC workings.

In the folder that you dragged from the RAR/ZIP..there will be 3 apps and 1 new folder,open the new folder,DBL Clickthe Blue SDR# icon and half way down the list..

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
In the folder that you dragged from the RAR/ZIP..there will be 3 apps and 1 new folder,open the new folder,DBL Clickthe Blue SDR# icon and half way down the list..

Nope. I dragged the zip to my desktop.
>right click
>open
+sdr-install
...-httpget.exe
install.bat
unzip.exe
That's it. Dead end. Opening any of these last three files does nothing.I know the Blue SDR# icon you speak of but in this .zip it ain't there.

RonnieUSA

I have done all that and gotten as far as:
httpget.exe
install.bat
unzip.exe
I double click on install.bat and a terminal dialog box comes up that says "Installed latest version." and "The system cannot find the file specified" Press any key to continue. After that, nothing happens. When open my old version of SDR#, it is still the same old v1275

You want to click on install.bat, when it's done You will have a folder called sdrsharp, and that will be the most recent version.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
You want to click on install.bat, when it's done You will have a folder called sdrsharp, and that will be the most recent version.
I know and this seems to be where the dead end is. I'm clicking on instal.bat but I don't get that folder.
I click on install.bat and a dialog box (black background, white text) comes up that says "Installed latest version." and "The system cannot find the file specified" Press any key to continue. I press any key. Zilch
After that, nothing happens.

rbm

Since you already have the install.bat and other files needed to install SDR# .....

There are 3 steps to update to the latest version
If you only have one hard drive on your system, this will all be on your 'C:' drive.

Step-1
First step is to go into the folder that has your install.bat file etc. in it.
Double click on install.bat.

Step-2
That will download and unzip the latest version into a folder named 'sdrsharp'

Step-3
Go into the 'sdrsharp' sub-folder and either run SDRSharp from there, or copy those files to where you already have SDRSharp installed.
The red arrow points to the SDRSharp application.
The items circled in blue are the files that you do NOT want to copy over your current files. If you do, you'll have to do your configuration all over.

Rich

rbm

I know and this seems to be where the dead end is. I'm clicking on instal.bat but I don't get that folder.
I click on install.bat and a dialog box (black background, white text) comes up that says "Installed latest version." and "The system cannot find the file specified" Press any key to continue. I press any key. Zilch
After that, nothing happens.

Do you have all three files that I show in Step-1?

They are ALL required. ;)

If not, they can be downloaded from here: http://sdrsharp.com/downloads/sdr-install.zip

Rich

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
Do you have all three files that I show in Step-1?

They are ALL required. ;)

If not, they can be downloaded from here: http://sdrsharp.com/downloads/sdr-install.zip

Rich
Nope. I am doing all that.
"Step-1
First step is to go into the folder that has your install.bat file etc. in it.
Double click on install.bat.
Step-2
That will download and unzip the latest version into a folder named 'sdrsharp'"

Did that. Very carefully. install.bat is NOT downloading and unzipping "sdrsharp" It does nothing. I know what it should look like because I did it in the first version. I really don't want to uninstall the whole existing software because I'm afraid now the same will happen if I start from scratch.

rbm

I really don't want to uninstall the whole existing software because I'm afraid now the same will happen if I start from scratch.

You don't have to uninstall. (That's a good thing. ;) )

Just create a new folder and name it anything you like. Junk or Scratch or anything else to your liking.

Then, download and unzip the latest install files to that folder from:
http://sdrsharp.com/downloads/sdr-install.zip

Then try to do a new install there. (double click on install.bat)

By the way, it would help to know what version of Windows you're running.
Each version has it's own 'quirks'.

Rich

Edit: If worse comes to worse, send me a PM with your email address and I'll zip up version 1333 and send it to you.
Then just unzip that to a folder of your choice and you'll be ready to go.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I suspect it's a problem involved with running it from the Windows GUI desktop instead of a folder. It's designed to be saved in a folder and then run from there. I put mine in C:\radio\SDR.

newcoyote, once you do the above, a new folder will be created inside the folder in which 'install.bat' is stored. The folder will be called 'sdrsharp' and contains the entire program, and all its configuration files. If you aren't seeing a folder called 'sdrsharp' appear after you run install.bat, it's because the batch file can't create that folder in whereever you're running install.bat from.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That could be.... I have an SDRSharp folder on my desktop. Inside that folder are httpget.exe, install.bat, unzip.exe and the sdrsharp install folder.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
I suspect it's a problem involved with running it from the Windows GUI desktop instead of a folder. It's designed to be saved in a folder and then run from there. I put mine in C:\radio\SDR.

newcoyote, once you do the above, a new folder will be created inside the folder in which 'install.bat' is stored. The folder will be called 'sdrsharp' and contains the entire program, and all its configuration files. If you aren't seeing a folder called 'sdrsharp' appear after you run install.bat, it's because the batch file can't create that folder in whereever you're running install.bat from.

Another member graciously sent me the correct link and I have every thing as you describe above. "sdrsharp.exe" is there but it won't run. Opening it get a very fast dialog box with progress bar reading "SDR has stopped working. Windows is looking for a solution to the problem." And that's it.

Voyager

Best solution might be to blow it away and start with a clean install.

I think the issue might involve the change in where the plugins are stored. Newer versions use a dedicated XML file to store the plugin info.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
Best solution might be to blow it away and start with a clean install.

I think the issue might involve the change in where the plugins are stored. Newer versions use a dedicated XML file to store the plugin info.

It's looking that way. There must be a glitch somewhere because I'm pretty sure I'm going through the motions right. I did it before. I'm just nervous because I have a working version now. If I uninstall everything and I still can't get it on? Is it a Windows 8.1 thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.