FCC updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Osceola Now has an license. Pure DMR. For PD and FD....
WQVI871

Clarkesville has upgraded lic to NFM & DMR for both FD, and PD.

Pike County Fire has added DMR capability.

As has Dumas.

West Memphis FD added P25 capabilities.

wbswetnam

The good news: rumor has it that DMR / NXDN capable scanners are on their way to the market in the next 12 - 18 months. AOR already has one, but it's not available for sale in the USA quite yet.

The bad news: when they become available, watch for many departments to go to full encryption.

Right now, many of the police and fire departments that are using DMR and NXDN for their primary ops are running in the clear, since they know that there are no commercially available scanners that can decode those digital formats. It can be done via a tapped scanner and a computer running DSD+, however.

I use a tapped Pro-96 and a laptop running DSD+ and I have monitored several departments using DMR, all unencrypted. I was in Heber Springs this afternoon, and I had no problem decoding the Cleburne County SO which went DMR late 2013. But, as DMR and NXDN capable scanners become available, I fully expect them to go "dark" again by throwing the encryption switch. Oh well...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The good news: rumor has it that DMR / NXDN capable scanners are on their way to the market in the next 12 - 18 months. AOR already has one, but it's not available for sale in the USA quite yet.

The bad news: when they become available, watch for many departments to go to full encryption.

Right now, many of the police and fire departments that are using DMR and NXDN for their primary ops are running in the clear, since they know that there are no commercially available scanners that can decode those digital formats. It can be done via a tapped scanner and a computer running DSD+, however.

I use a tapped Pro-96 and a laptop running DSD+ and I have monitored several departments using DMR, all unencrypted. I was in Heber Springs this afternoon, and I had no problem decoding the Cleburne County SO which went DMR late 2013. But, as DMR and NXDN capable scanners become available, I fully expect them to go "dark" again by throwing the encryption switch. Oh well...

I may be being too optimistic but I don't think they will change to encryption if/when a scanner is released. I mean, they could have used encryption when on analog and it was easy to listen with a <$100 scanner and chose not to (except on select channels) so I don't think they will suddenly make changes after the fact if/when scanners become available that can monitor these digital formats.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber

If you could, submit the Color Codes, Slot usage etc.

wbswetnam

Color codes... you mean the color of the text? Not sure what you mean.
Dardenelle PD uses slot one. Cleburne Co SO and Stone Co SO "West" also use slot one. All three are unencrypted DRM.

In two or three weeks I plan to go up to Harrison (Boone County) and Baxter County to investigate their DRM systems. I will submit my findings when I finish the scanner trip!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Dardenelle PD uses slot one. Cleburne Co SO and Stone Co SO "West" also use slot one. All three are unencrypted DRM.

In two or three weeks I plan to go up to Harrison (Boone County) and Baxter County to investigate their DRM systems. I will submit my findings when I finish the scanner trip!

You need three things to listen to DMR using a subscriber radio. The Colour Code(kinda equivalent to CTCSS for DMR) Time Slot, and Talk Group. I usually express it as CC-x TS-x TG-x where "x" is the numerical value(s) for the repeater you want to listen to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

INDY72

Premium Subscriber

On DMR systems the Color Codes act like PL/DPL on analog conventional or NAC on P25. And on NXDN systems they use RAN's for the access control.

Every frequency has 2 Timing Slots for usage in TDMA digital. These can both be voice slots or can be set up where one is voice and another is data of some type such as GPS or specialized paging etc.

wbswetnam

Does this screenshot of DSD+ monitoring the Dardenelle Police Department tell you all the info you are looking for?

Last edited:

poppafred

Well, don't get your hopes up. Franklin Co got a new digital system and has encrypted EVERYTHING. I think the county official who oversees the radio system hates scanner listeners, period.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Well, don't get your hopes up. Franklin Co got a new digital system and has encrypted EVERYTHING. I think the county official who oversees the radio system hates scanner listeners, period.

What type system did they get? Have you grabbed any of the info via DSD+ or anything?

wbswetnam

I took a look on the database for Franklin County. Yes they have moved to DMR, but how do you know that it is encrypted DMR? Do you know the person who set up their system, and he told you?

wbswetnam

I don't know for sure but I'm willing to bet that it is not encrypted, just unencrypted DMR. This weekend I drove up to Harrison and I checked on the DMR digital systems in use along the way. Newton County SO, Newton County fire dispatch, Boone County SO, and Harrison PD all are unencrypted. I didn't hear any calls on the Harrison Fire Department channel, but I'd bet my pension that they're unencrypted, too.

Here's what you need, sir:

1) a computer, preferably not more than 3 years old
2) Three software packages: SDR#, DSD+, and VB Audio Cable. All three of these are freeware. Google the names of these software packages to find the latest download site.
3) an SDR dongle, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/NESDR-Mini-Compatible-Packages-Guaranteed/dp/B00P2UOU72/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y
4) get this cable so that you can connect the SDR dongle to a decent scanner antenna: http://www.amazon.com/coaxial-cable...d_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1640Z9QCY335QSFABAHF

There are numerous websites and YouTube videos which painstakingly explain how to install the software and get it running with the SDR dongle. If you want me to send you some specific links I'd be happy to do so. I'm willing to bet that if you invest $40 in these items and a few hours getting acquainted with the software, that you'd have the Franklin County SO, EMS and the county fire dispatch back and better than ever before.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I don't know for sure but I'm willing to bet that it is not encrypted, just unencrypted DMR. This weekend I drove up to Harrison and I checked on the DMR digital systems in use along the way. Newton County SO, Newton County fire dispatch, Boone County SO, and Harrison PD all are unencrypted. I didn't hear any calls on the Harrison Fire Department channel, but I'd bet my pension that they're unencrypted, too.

Here's what you need, sir:

1) a computer, preferably not more than 3 years old
2) Three software packages: SDR#, DSD+, and VB Audio Cable. All three of these are freeware. Google the names of these software packages to find the latest download site.
3) an SDR dongle, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/NESDR-Mini-Compatible-Packages-Guaranteed/dp/B00P2UOU72/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y
4) get this cable so that you can connect the SDR dongle to a decent scanner antenna: Amazon.com: RF coaxial cable UHF SO239 PL259 female to MCX male right angle connector RG316 20CM: Computers & Accessories

There are numerous websites and YouTube videos which painstakingly explain how to install the software and get it running with the SDR dongle. If you want me to send you some specific links I'd be happy to do so. I'm willing to bet that if you invest $40 in these items and a few hours getting acquainted with the software, that you'd have the Franklin County SO, EMS and the county fire dispatch back and better than ever before.

Can you send me these links you recommend for instructions? I haven't had time to mess with the dongle since I got it but would like to know the best tutorial or two that you recommend.

wbswetnam

Can you send me these links you recommend for instructions? I haven't had time to mess with the dongle since I got it but would like to know the best tutorial or two that you recommend.

Download SDR# here: SDR# | Software Defined Radio in C#
SDR# Quick Start Guide: Quick Start Guide - rtl-sdr.com
Also watch this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/IaKEYEyrRgk

After installing SDR#, you need the scanner plug-in. It is self-installing.
Download it from here: **SDR# Plugins
IMPORTANT! Read the pdf instruction manual that comes bundled in the zip file.
Here's a helpful YouTube video for additional help: https://youtu.be/5mVkH4J-Jag

VB Audio Cable allows SDR# to send its audio output directly to another program, in our case, DSD+.
Download it here: VB-Audio Virtual Apps
Follow the installation instructions.

DSD+ is the program which decodes the digital audio signals into an intelligible voice.
Download it here: Zippyshare.com - DSDPlus-1.51.zip
(select the orange button marked "download", ignore all others)
(ignore any warning that says you must install a file called lame.enc.dll, it's already in the package)
This YouTube video will help you set it up: https://youtu.be/PjTRx8_KGiI

There you are! I hope the links help!
Be patient; it takes several hours to get the software downloaded, installed, and set up correctly especially since the three programs all have to work together simultaneously. But once you get it all going you'll be blown away.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Download SDR# here: SDR# | Software Defined Radio in C#
SDR# Quick Start Guide: Quick Start Guide - rtl-sdr.com
Also watch this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/IaKEYEyrRgk

After installing SDR#, you need the scanner plug-in. It is self-installing.
Download it from here: **SDR# Plugins
IMPORTANT! Read the pdf instruction manual that comes bundled in the zip file.
Here's a helpful YouTube video for additional help: https://youtu.be/5mVkH4J-Jag

VB Audio Cable allows SDR# to send its audio output directly to another program, in our case, DSD+.
Download it here: VB-Audio Virtual Apps
Follow the installation instructions.

DSD+ is the program which decodes the digital audio signals into an intelligible voice.
Download it here: Zippyshare.com - DSDPlus-1.51.zip
(select the orange button marked "download", ignore all others)
(ignore any warning that says you must install a file called lame.enc.dll, it's already in the package)
This YouTube video will help you set it up: https://youtu.be/PjTRx8_KGiI

There you are! I hope the links help!
Be patient; it takes several hours to get the software downloaded, installed, and set up correctly especially since the three programs all have to work together simultaneously. But once you get it all going you'll be blown away.

Thanks for taking the time to post that; I'll be checking it out as soon as I get time!

Status
Not open for further replies.