• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

800MHz Radio Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDRadioguy777

I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this question. I was wondering does the FCC offer 800MHz radio licenses for businesses or is it only public safety agencies? Thanks.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Any idea how much an 800MHz business radio license costs? Thank you.

I don't have the slightest idea what a license would cost or how the cost is determined. If you click on the link I posted there are more links to FCC pages which explain everything. Start by clicking on Licensing Process. You could also contact one of the coordinators listed who could give you some idea.

Last edited:

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Round number estimate for most licenses: $300 to the FCC (10 years), $400 to the frequency coordinator, and thousands in time and hair pulling if you apply yourself. I use RadioSoft.com in Georgia. Call Kathi.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

KC3ECJ

Is there an existing commercial trunking network in your area that you could become part of?

FDRadioguy777

No, unfortunately there are no commercial trunking systems to hook up to. I was just interested in adding an 800MHz conventional frequency for certain day to day training exercises.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Which got me thinking (yeah, senior moment) that gov't agencies are FCC-fee exempt. You would still have to pay for coordination, but the license just went from $800-ish to $400-ish.

Which got me thinking (yeah, another senior moment) that if there is any mutual aid partners with an existing licence you might be able to operate on their freq's with a Memorandum of Understanding.

Training and mutual aid are legitimate MOU uses.

FDRadioguy777

Thank you for that information. Yeah originally I was looking for an 800MHz business license but it sounds like if I go the public safety route it is cheaper. Also, it sounds like I am better off hiring someone to handle the coordination. Is it pretty difficult to go through the licensing process? This is the first time I have been tasked to look into this. Thanks again!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's not impossible to do yourself, but you will need a frequency coordinators assistance.
As your first time, there will be a lot less aggravation, delays, rejections, etc. if you get some professional help. Check with your city, county, state and see if they can help.

Not doing this correctly can be a big issue. We had a frequency coordinator make an error. I'd started programming 350 radios and found out at the last minute that the frequency pair we thought we were getting wasn't going to work. Had to turn around and reprogram most of those radios.

Getting a frequency pair on 800MHz for a public safety agency shouldn't be a big deal. With the Sprint/Nextel give backs, there are frequency pairs available

FDRadioguy777

Oh wow! Thanks for letting me know. I definitely will not attempt this on my own. I have not heard of the Sprint/Nextel givebacks. Does that allow more frequencies in the 800MHz band?

ecps92

IF you are already using 800 for your Public Safety, have you talked to your Radio Guys who manage the system ?? There might already be channels in the Radio for this specific purpose w/o spending

a. $$ to License/Coordinate
b. Reprogram the existing Radios or purchase radios for just this purposes

Thank you for that information. Yeah originally I was looking for an 800MHz business license but it sounds like if I go the public safety route it is cheaper. Also, it sounds like I am better off hiring someone to handle the coordination. Is it pretty difficult to go through the licensing process? This is the first time I have been tasked to look into this. Thanks again!

I don't think your question can be answered based on the information provided thus far.

This isn't a matter of "cheaper," it's a matter of what's most appropriate for the type of organization you represent. Like it or not, you WILL get the license within the proper category, or: 1) your application will not get coordinated; and 2) the FCC will return or very possibly dismiss your application with any money paid to the coordinator and (possibly, if you are not fee exempt) the FCC not refunded. It can't be more simple than doing it right or losing your money. A license - from start to finish - can cost between several hundred to tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the number of sites, specific items that need to be addressed, and whether you would need to retain legal counsel to draft waivers, etc., so there's a lot at stake.

One of the items omitted is that a frequency coordinator will assess a fee, as well. There may also be fees for supporting documentation, such as DHAAT analysis, short-spacing, Regional Planning Committee co- and adjacent channel contours, and possibly responsible radiation plots. Each of which may preclude your use of a given frequency in a given area.

The Sprint/Nextel frequencies were "given back" following rebanding, and I believe they are complete in all but the border areas (I could be wrong, I don't work with 800 on a daily basis). What that MIGHT mean for your region is that the resource has already been consumed. Competition for 800 MHz frequencies is not casual, it's fierce and the resources are usually gone to those who have filed in advance and were willing to be in queue.

Here is a list of frequency coordinators who handle 800 MHz: FCC: Wireless Services: Industrial/Business: Licensing: Frequency Coordinators You are best advised to call several of them, ask questions relating to how you intend to use this system -- and for whom -- and pricing. Shop around and get the best value. The pricing will be in the ballpark, but could significantly vary between each.

Let me also state that you have a construction deadline once you successfully receive a license. You or your agency will need to put something on the air within that time period (meaning, you need the financial backing of being able to procure and build within that window) or your license becomes invalid and you will need to go through the entire process anew.

Good luck. Call several of the frequency coordinators on the list for facts before you commit to any decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.