Pro-651 with Pro-106 firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have read some messages concerning the exact issue I have with my RS Pro-651 handheld scanner.
uP BootVer:RF1.5
up App Ver: NONE
CPU SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF
I did not see an actual answer to fix the issue. Anyone have a solution?
I tried the firmware load. I cannot find firmware for RS Pro 651, however, it states several places that I have found it states to use Pro 106. I have tried and when it starts the program on computer I do the test and the message comes back and states "The scanner currently contains no CPU application code! This update utility contains version 1.9." I click on the OK and then the update tab becomes active. Then I get an Error -- turn off. Then gui on computer comes up and states "No date from the scanner (2). Please retry from step 4. however this is not possible.

Last edited:

TES

I have read some messages concerning the exact issue I have with my RS Pro-651 handheld scanner.
uP BootVer:RF1.5
up App Ver: NONE
CPU SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF
I did not see an actual answer to fix the issue. Anyone have a solution?
I tried the firmware load. I cannot find firmware for RS Pro 651, however, it states several places that I have found it states to use Pro 106. I have tried and when it starts the program on computer I do the test and the message comes back and states "The scanner currently contains no CPU application code! This update utility contains version 1.9." I click on the OK and then the update tab becomes active. Then I get an Error -- turn off. Then gui on computer comes up and states "No date from the scanner (2). Please retry from step 4. however this is not possible.

You might want to read the red type in the initial post in this thread.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Really, putting a descriptive message in your title, instead of a name, is going to get a lot more responses. The way you have it now, almost no one will know what you're looking for unless they read the message...

Mike

Blackswan73

To put it bluntly, your radio is bricked. You cannot load firmware for the 106 into a 651. The result will be what you have, a paperweight. At least until RS sells their rights or release a firmware for the 651. Sorry :(

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Really, putting a descriptive message in your title, instead of a name, is going to get a lot more responses. The way you have it now, almost no one will know what you're looking for unless they read the message...

Mike

Moved to appropriate forum, and edited title for clarity.

Blackswan73

I sure would like to know what locations told you to use 106 firmware on the 651. I would like to chat with them. They are causing people to brick perfectly good scanners.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I am willing to bet that folks that give that very bad advice don't know the difference between firmware and software (or perhaps folks are mis-reading the advice)....

For example, Win500 will load and control several object oriented scanners from Whistler, RS and GRE - but that has nothing to do with firmware, which one can think of as the operating system of the scanner - much like you might have Android on a Smartphone. Programs like Win500 can't directly address the firmware - it simply uses the functions that the firmware provides.

I would tend to think that there's something in the micro-code of the firmware that checks a manufacturer code - and if it doesn't find it, bam you've been bricked.

Mike

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I sure would like to know what locations told you to use 106 firmware on the 651. I would like to chat with them. They are causing people to brick perfectly good scanners.

Found one possible source, I did a search and the following I found and as how you read it, does tend to allude about a firmware update, I wonder if they just took the descriptions from the 106 and just copied to the 652 description? -
RadioShack PRO-651 Police Scanner | ScannerMaster.com

Firmware Updates
The PRO651, in common with most high-end scanners these days, allows you to download and update the Firmware version in the radio. The Firmware is the basic operational language and user interface of the radio, kind of like what “Windows” is to a computer. With such a complicated system there are bound to be bugs, mistakes, or changes to be made. These updates are free from the RadioShack website and are applied with a Windows computer using the regular RadioShack/Whistler USB programming cable.

There is a separate firmware for the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) that can also be upgraded. These updates may or may not help your specific situation, as digital systems vary. Check the message boards on the Yahoo and RadioReference forums before updating your DSP firmware, occasionally older versions work better on some systems.

Blackswan73

Afraid so for now, at least til the situation with RS is resolved. I did see where the holding company was offering the RadioShack name and all IP for $6,000,000. Any takers?

baayers

Afraid so for now, at least til the situation with RS is resolved. I did see where the holding company was offering the RadioShack name and all IP for $6,000,000. Any takers?

Let me play these guaranteed winning lottery numbers that I got in my fortune cookie today and I'll get back to you. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.