PSR-800: PSR-800 vs BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

WYDOR

Premium Subscriber
Currently own the 800 and thinking about purchasing a 436HP. Researched here an the Uniden site and have some questions.

1. Is the 436 compatible with RR database
2. Is there computer software to program the 436
3. Can the 436 use rechargeable batteries, if so can you charge from the scanner. (I know the difference in opinion about doing that.)

If my questions are already answered here please direct me. I couldn't find my answers.

Thanks,

Dump the 800,,Go for the 436..

1. Yes...
2. Yesss..
3. YESSSSSS....

Like when harry met sally!

You wont be disappointed..However,,there is a learning curve..But the 436 is a Bad-Azz radio!

Software for it is Unidens,SENTINEL..and ARC536 Basic & Pro

The 436 dose not use a wallwart,like the 800 it charges and is powered via USB..

Last edited:

budevans

Currently own the 800 and thinking about purchasing a 436HP. Researched here an the Uniden site and have some questions.

The included Sentinel program can be used to download the weekly RR database updates.

Yes, besides Sentinel which is included with the radio, ARC also makes software for the 436/536 series.

3. Can the 436 use rechargeable batteries, if so can you charge from the scanner. (I know the difference in opinion about doing that.)
Yes, 3 AA Nimh rechargeable batteries are included with the radio. You can recharge the batteries in the 436. Along those lines the 436 comes with a USB cable that works with the software and also powers the scanner and allows recharging the batteries.

If my questions are already answered here please direct me. I couldn't find my answers.

Thanks,
Yes, your questions have been answered in the Uniden forums. But not in one place, it takes some digging to piece it all together.

Ed6698

Thanks,

The 800 already does everything you asked in first 2 questions. I know the WS1080 can charge batteries in scanner, and does not need a wallwart and can be charged by usb, not sure about 800. I would steer clear of the 436, I considered one at one time, but after reading about them, I changed my mind.

So what ,In your opinion does the1080 do better than the 436?
If I had listened to the poo-poo-ers of the 436 Id have missed out on a great radio..
Great sensitivity,Way easier to access the scan lists vs the 800...
What,no analyze?...OK..the 800 lacks the tune feature seen on my 500..
Ill make that trade off..

Glad I got rid of my 800...Never looked back..

Ed6698

It works as advertised. Compare the issues between the 2 in the forums. Never ending for the 436 vs next to none for the 1080.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I can offer some FACT instead of OPINION based on an internet message board.

My 436 has worked flawlessly from day one, so I would take the "litany of complaints" with a grain of salt. Some users do have legitimate issues, but it's a lot of piling on from people who have no idea what they are talking about with the "I read..." or "I heard...".

Either way, I have a 436HP, a 1080 and a Pro-668 (along with multiple other Uniden/RS scanners). So from an ACTUAL OWNER of all the radios, who can provide something more than "opinion" of something I have NEVER owned - I will say the 436 is my go to portable. The 1080/668 does decode a single P2 channel in my area better than the 436.

Your mileage, of course, may vary :)

ButchGone

I've tried GRE and Uniden. Get the Uniden 436. The GRE's just cannot handle P25 simulcast decode like the 436 can. The GRE's also have poor filtering and selectivity, meaning the reciever is easily overwhelmed by out of band interference. The 436 and 536 have very good filtering, much improved over the 396/996.
BG..

Ed6698

Either way I am not getting into this any further as which is better or worse. I researched both scanners for quite some time, I chose what worked better for me. I may have never owned a 436, however I had hands on use of one.

SOFA_KING

I own both, and a whole lot more. The 436 blows away the 1080. Much better P25 decode. All these "haters" are full of $#!+. The 1080 is a unit ID logger for me, but not much of a good listener. The 436 and 536 are real radios with tight receivers. Just no comparison between performance. Almost as good as my /\/\ professional radios.

Phil

It works as advertised. Compare the issues between the 2 in the forums. Never ending for the 436 vs next to none for the 1080.

Ive had no no issues,
436 has worked absolutely fantastic.
VHF-UHF Lo & HI..700-800..Analog and Digital..decodes great on P25..
My god..alphatagging UID/RIDs is wonderful now,,they change in real time..
no lag.

Audio is better than my ol 800...Ive had both...had both at the same time..
and now I have only the 436...still have my 500,my 996XT..my 310..a couple
15X's...But no 800 any more!...

Never ending for the 436...Outside of the lack of Analyze...Not one single
issue...

SCPD

QRT
The 436HP imho sucks ... I sold mine. It is all about personal preference. Coke vs Pepsi, Chevy vs Ford, Canon vs Nikon, Apple vs Samsung. There are a zillion ones to add ... and people on each side. It is one of those things that will never be answered.

Some people love it .. some hate it. There is NO perfect scanner made by ANY manufacturer.

And YES .. I DID own BOTH so I think that makes me qualified to have an opinion, hands on ... I did not like the 436HP at all (but it did have a couple features I did love, but it did not make up for the bad things in the end). I will gladly use my GRE PSR800 instead.

I can go on and on about what I do and don't like about each .. but this boat has been floated for the last year. There are many opinions on each side. The Uniden forum is full of comments as is the GRE forum. Time to make your decision .. you will never get everyone to agree one way or another.

Last edited:

WYDOR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Appreciate the straight forward answers ( from a few.) Didn't cross my mind that questions concerning available features would stir up a debate about which receiver is better than another. Not my intent. Just became frustrated digging through forums trying to find answers. Great information from all of you. Now to digest that information and decide if I should sell my 800 and purchase the 436 or, keep what I have. Again, thanks - to all replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
436HP over the 1080 any day of the week. Based on my experience with both here in the Los Angeles area where I live, and in Phoenix on the RWC system, where I go often to visit my grandson.
Steve AA6IO

W6KRU

I prefer the WS1080 over the 436HP on the system I listen to due to poor audio on the Uniden because of simulcast distortion..The user interface on the WS1080 is superior to the 436HP. You have to remember a bunch of numbers to operate the Uniden vs system/dept names on the whistler. I also prefer the EZscan software to Sentinel.

Voyager

Radio Shack is selling their twin brother of the WS1080 for $299. They weren't this cheap (PSR-800) 4 years ago.

RadioShack

I'm surprised they are that high given the potential for them not being supported in the near future. There are already people with broken units who are finding neither RS nor Whistler will service them.

Status
Not open for further replies.