how do I get short wave on my iCom IC-R7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

blainenbecky

Premium Subscriber
I have had this old receiver for a while and I have a lot of 800 Mhz programed in it and stuff like fire and airport freks programed but I went to program some low Mhz like 9.475 and it won't take it,what am I doing wrong ?
when I hit the inter button after loading the 9.475 it just goes to 25.0000
what am I missing ?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You aren't missing anything. The frequency range on it is 25-999 and 1025-2000 MHz.

blainenbecky

Premium Subscriber
You aren't missing anything. The frequency range on it is 25-999 and 1025-2000 MHz.

wow!
that sucks
I would have thought for sure that an expensive radio like this old bird would have been able to to do short wave stuff.
O well ,its a good thing I have some other cool old radios that will get the short wave freks .
Thanks Kevin

blainenbecky

Premium Subscriber
it dose make me wonder though ,
if a guy wanted to get a radio that would cover all the freks like Ham,scanner,short,Med,and long wave
what kind of radio would that be or do they even make such a radio ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
it dose make me wonder though ,
if a guy wanted to get a radio that would cover all the freks like Ham,scanner,short,Med,and long wave
what kind of radio would that be or do they even make such a radio ?

Unfortunately handhelds that are that broad banded - like the R20 - can be very susceptible to overloading, have selectivity issues or other problems. The R20 seems to have a pretty fair reputation in that regard, but it really can't compete with radios like the desktop R75, which doesn't quite cover all the bands above 30 Mhz like your R7000 does - but it does go up to VHF lo band.

There are just too many compromises in these little handhelds to make them all that useful, frankly.

Mike

Last edited:

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Or the Kenwood TH-F6A HT: 0.1-1.8, 1.8-29.7, 29.7-54, 54-108, 108-137, 137-174, 174-216, 216-400, 400-470, 470-806, 806-824, 849-869, 894-1300 MHz

Or the Yaesu FT-847, and many others from Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom. Oh, and AOR too.

kc2kth

I think there are good reasons for not having one radio cover "DC to daylight". They exist, but they typically compromise performance on all or most of their range in order to,cover such a wide range. Really a $100 portable shortwave receiver and a $200 scanner will typically be more effective than all but the highest end wideband receiver. Wideband receivers have their place, but you can't replace an entire room of dedicated receivers with one necessarily.

blainenbecky

Premium Subscriber
been checking out some of the radios you guys have talked about here on ebay and they look pretty cool bat man are some of them pricey .
I stayed up half the night playing around with my ic-r7000.I had fun as I just learned how to do the limit scans on the thing.but it is making for a long day with out to much sleep .lol
I all so have an old DX-300 that's been sucking my brain dry.here is a vid of me working on it last week
its a lot simpler then the 7000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W55DWCYbAkI&feature=em-upload_owner

Token

wow!
that sucks
I would have thought for sure that an expensive radio like this old bird would have been able to to do short wave stuff.
O well ,its a good thing I have some other cool old radios that will get the short wave freks .
Thanks Kevin

For its day that was an unheard of range for a hobbyist to have in a desktop. Of course today you can do it with a $15 RTL dongle.

However, if you do want to make your R7000 work all freqs, 0 to 2000 MHz, you can put an upconverter in front of it. Something like the Ham-It-Up would shift the 0 to 30 MHz spectrum up to 125 to 155 MHz, and you would then have it all. There is no auto offset on the display, so you would have to subtract 125 MHz from whatever the digital readout said, but it would work just fine.

T!

jonny290

I was just going to suggest the Ham It Up!

$50 bucks and you can get this thing on HF.

Hell, no reason to pick up an R71 and an R7000 now that I think about it, if you're kind of casual. Pick up a 7000 and an upconverter and party on, DC to daylight, as long as you're ok with listening to one thing at a time. Performance won't be AS good, but it'd be fine for everyday listening.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I thought I would revive this thread because I also have the IC-R7000 that I was looking to convert to HF.

I went to the NooElec site and it appears the only up converter they are making is designed for SDR receivers only. I wrote to them just now for any suggestions, but I'm wondering if there are other options.

By the way, I bought the unit new in 1984. It's been boxed up since I bought some real scanners back then (I don't know why I bought the Icom. I was young then and not too thoughtful about things like that!).

I'm wishing one and all a good Turkey Day.

Thanks!

FrankNY

blainenbecky, or do what I did: I replaced my IC-R7000 with an IC-R8500. The IC-R8500 does 100 kHz to 2 GHz (actually 1999.99 MHz).

Icom IC-R8500 at Icom America:
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/receivers/r8500/

"Available for export or to approved U.S. Government Users only"

Icom IC-R8500 at Icom Canada:
http://www.icomcanada.com/products/receivers/receiver_ic-r8500.html

Icom IC-R8500 at Universal Radio:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr/1850.html

"The Icom IC-R8500-32K can be purchased by the Federal government or for export only."

Note that the IC-R8500 can usually be found on eBay - in both blocked and unblocked versions.

And if 100 kHz to 2 GHz coverage isn't good enough for you, there's always the AOR AR6000 which will give you 40 kHz to 6 GHz, although it's not exactly inexpensive.

AR6000 at AOR USA:
http://www.aorusa.com/receivers/ar6000.html

For a portable wideband, I use an Alinco DJ-X11K that covers 50 kHz to 1.3 GHz (actually 1299.995 MHz).

Regards,

Frank.

Last edited:

k9wkj

Hi,

I went to the NooElec site and it appears the only up converter they are making is designed for SDR receivers only.

the ham it up will work just fine
there is nothing about a RTL-SDR dongle that is any different from any other receiver
your going to have to buy the adapters and such to get it all connected to your radio
you might as well just cough up the extra $12 and get a dongle as long as your buying the ham it up
i use mine 24/7 from airport beacons at 200khz to the top of the amateur 10m band
all in a web browser
WIDE SCREEN RADIO
check out that screen shot!

FrankNY

k9wkj, very nice!

What size monitor are you using, 3840 by 2160 or 4096 by 2160, or perhaps something else?

Thanks.

Frank.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
the ham it up will work just fine

there is nothing about a RTL-SDR dongle that is any different from any other receiver

your going to have to buy the adapters and such to get it all connected to your radio

you might as well just cough up the extra $12 and get a dongle as long as your buying the ham it up

i use mine 24/7 from airport beacons at 200khz to the top of the amateur 10m band

all in a web browser

WIDE SCREEN RADIO

check out that screen shot!

Thanks for the info. I had subsequently heard back from NooElec (that was quick!) and they assured me that the unit will indeed work with the old Icom. She also suggested the cables and the housing for it, which I'll get. At twelve bucks I'd be a fool not to go ahead and purchase the dongle, too.
Thanks for the suggestion!

73 de W4PKR

k9wkj

What size monitor are you using, 3840 by 2160 or 4096 by 2160, or perhaps something else?

actually its only 3840x1080 (2- 1920x1080)
that pic was the entire 15M ham band with 4 recivers running
and that red spike going up band is a Ionosonde, they go by in pairs
that was the second one right then
that dongle is running over 300ft away from the apartment , i have a non line of sight wifi link running to my garage. with a bunch of wire strung in the rafters and a 9:1 balun i wound feeding the upconverter
i run the ShinySDR server on that end and just run the thing in a browser here in the apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.