Pharr PD: P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Newbie here,

Trying to get into the hobby, but I'm not sure what scanner to buy to be able to listen in on my local PD's frequency.

Here's the link to their RR page:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5968

Any list of scanners I can buy from?

Thanks!
Looking at the notes on the system you linked, https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5968 , there are comments about the move over to the P25 system (this one: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6548 ), and also a note that usage is split between the two systems, with usage on the EDACS system (the one you linked) using Provoice.

For the EDACS system, if a talkgroup is using Provoice (none are currently flagged as such in the database, but the note says some are), there is no scanner that will receive Provoice. If using standard EDACS (no Provoice), any number of units will work, including the digital scanners suggested below.

For the new P25 system, you would need a digital scanner. Current models (HH=handheld, B/M= Base/Mobile) include:

Uniden 396XT (HH), 996XT (B/M), 436HP (HH), 536HP (B/M), Home Patrol-1 & Home Patrol-2 (these are desktop type scanners)

Whistler WS1040 (HH), WS1065 (B/M), WS1080 (HH)

Radio Shack Pro-651 (HH), Pro-652 (B/M), Pro-668 (HH)

There are older models as well that would work.

JoeTex1

Pharr police department

Hello...it's interesting your getting back to the scanning hobby..but it's alot more difficult now more then ever. Why you ask because of a thing called encryption and Pharr police is one of those department's utilizing it.at first it was at officers discretion but now it's strongly enforced .so you won't hear a peep from them unless they patch to the inter.opp channels located on the RGVRRS that's a state system that has a site located in Pharr TX..btw the EDACS radio system has long been out of operation since 2013..ill go ahead and update the city of Pharr's p25 phase 1 radio system home page on here for those living in that area.

Simran

Hello...it's interesting your getting back to the scanning hobby..but it's alot more difficult now more then ever. Why you ask because of a thing called encryption and Pharr police is one of those department's utilizing it.at first it was at officers discretion but now it's strongly enforced .so you won't hear a peep from them unless they patch to the inter.opp channels located on the RGVRRS that's a state system that has a site located in Pharr TX..btw the EDACS radio system has long been out of operation since 2013..ill go ahead and update the city of Pharr's p25 phase 1 radio system home page on here for those living in that area.

So, I got this Pro-652, but is there anyway I can get to listening to Pharr PD?

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
The database shows the PD is just P25 so if that is the case you can. But the user above stated that they have recently went full encryption. If that is the case there is no way to listen to an encrypted channel.

JoeTex1

Pharr police

So, I got this Pro-652, but is there anyway I can get to listening to Pharr PD?--( the short answer would be no.. When they first set up that p25 system they were transitioning' from an Edacs pro voice system and something went wrong .so instead of switching off the encryption on their main talk group they went to a back up none encrypted talk group 1343 I think it was..anyhow I think who ever did the submission might have made a mistake.btw Pharr police officials made it very clear before going to p25 that they were very concerned who was listening in to their communications that they would implement military grade encryption on all police channels .on the lighter side the fire department and all city services are on basic p25 digital along with the city of Alamo.

Status
Not open for further replies.