BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD536HP Vs BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterFire

Feed Provider

Voyager

Compare the BCD996XT to the 536, then add a USB front port and P25 Phase II capability.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure about freescan but ARCXT looks like it will do the 996P2...
my guess will be freescan will be able to as well.

If you love the 996 then the P2 will be good for you... if you love the HomePatrol style the 536 maybe better for you.. or a HP-2

Can anyone break down the main difference between the 536HP and this new 996P2? Is the main difference only the lack of WiFi dongle and access to the Home Patrol data base?

Can anyone shed some light on the programming process? Will it be as easy to program as the former 996T & 996XT with freescan and such software?

Scanner Master - Comparing Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Police Scanner Radio vs Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP Police Scanner

ChesterFire

Feed Provider
I have had 15x, 996t, 996xt and i recently bought a 536hp. I maintain a broadcast feed and utilize a program that allows me to control my broadcasting computer from any other computer or even my iPhone. Currently the virtual control on the 536hp is not impressing me, i purchased the arc536pro specifically for the VR control and it will not seem to connect with the supplied USB cable.

I've only ever programmed and virtual remote controlled the other ones with a program called bctool+. The HP programming style if nice, but i find the cycle time is slow compared to specific manual programming.

If the 996P2 is going to have the same usb style connection then i might as well keep working on the 536hp to get the VR control for it working.

Last edited:

TedRHayes

I have had 15x, 996t, 996xt and i recently bought a 536hp. I maintain a broadcast feed and utilize a program that allows me to control my broadcasting computer from any other computer or even my iPhone. Currently the virtual control on the 536hp is not impressing me, i purchased the arc536pro specifically for the VR control and it will not seem to connect with the supplied USB cable.

I've only ever programmed and virtual remote controlled the other ones with a program called bctool+. The HP programming style if nice, but i find the cycle time is slow compared to specific manual programming.

If the 996P2 is going to have the same usb style connection then i might as well keep working on the 536hp to get the VR control for it working.

I use the rear DB9 serial port on the 536 for my VC connection. I used it regularly with ProScan and occasionally with ARC536Pro in VC. The rear port is much more stable for that use (i.e., it is just a serial port). The USB port is multi-use: it can serve as a storage device connection or as a serial port (requiring a special driver); a user must specifically choose which function it will perform when something it plugged into it (or on power-up). The rear port is always and only a serial port.

I found similar behavior with the 436. While you can connect as serial connection via the USB port, a serial connection through the GPS port is more stable.

Just my two cents.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Since you have a 996, programing will be exactly the same, but with easier communication via USB, no more serial-usb converter needed.

Arc, Freescan will all be on board.

I'd guess Unitrunker and Pro96Comm as well.

stingray327

Can anyone break down the main difference between the 536HP and this new 996P2? Is the main difference only the lack of WiFi dongle and access to the Home Patrol data base?

Can anyone shed some light on the programming process? Will it be as easy to program as the former 996T & 996XT with freescan and such software?

Scanner Master - Comparing Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Police Scanner Radio vs Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP Police Scanner

The 996P2 is a new Uniden scanner coming out sometime this March?
Is it pre-programmed like the 536? More difficult to program than 536?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The 996P2 is a new Uniden scanner coming out sometime this March?
Is it pre-programmed like the 536? More difficult to program than 536?

The 996P2 is just like the 996XT, but with Phase II capability. It's not pre-programmed like the 536. It is just as easy (or difficult, depending on your perspective) to program as the 996XT.

Voyager

You can program up to 500 TGs per System. This includes not only talkgroups themselves, but also UID tags. If you have a system with say 20 TGs and more than 480 radios, not all tags will fit in the one System.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Can someone Explain the TG Limits on the BCD996P2? I do not understand why this would be a problem?

I don't see it as a problem. I presently have no more than 50 talk groups in any single trunked system, monitoring more than that for a single system for me is not manageable, but then again I program one system for Law, one for Fire-EMS, if need be I have one for DPW (which I would rarely listen to). Just like my conventional systems, keep everything separate and logical so I know what I am listening to and can find it again in a hurry if I need to.

phask

Premium Subscriber
For many, who never use UID's it's a non-issue.

- in my local area, UID's are useless. It may change on a whim, unless you are tracking a car:) -

For state police - same issue.

996 has a proven , tough as nails history. Once set up it can be locked for a "user", makes it good in news rooms and areas where fingers can screw it up.

Also great for outside of the US. I have no idea if PH2 is used overseas though.

x series and even HP are great for the scanner user that needs what it offers. Also those that travel and do not want to spend a lot of time pre-programing.

Voyager

I monitor a system with about 400 TGs and 10,000 UIDs. This 10,400 channels is a little too much to fit into 500. :D

While I have everything in the system programmed, I only enable those TGs for the area I want to monitor. This may be 20-30 TGs, or sometimes even 1, but I still need all of them programmed since I may change what I want to monitor depending on where I am or what is happening.

If I programmed using your scheme, sef, I would be scanning the same sites several times which slows down the acquisition time of any individual TG. Using the 436, I can scan everything with one pass of the control channel.

Granted, the 500 limit is not a problem for everyone, but it is a problem on larger systems. Some systems are much larger than the one I described, too.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
If I programmed using your scheme, sef, I would be scanning the same sites several times which slows down the acquisition time of any individual TG. Using the 436, I can scan everything with one pass of the control channel.

My solution for this is simple ... one radio only monitors Law, one monitors Fire-EMS, one monitors secondary (depending on what I need or want it is Marine/Air/DPW/MedCom/RR/etc) and then another is a floater so I can lock something in. The only scanner not programmed in an identical manner to the others is dedicated solely to Federal and Aviation communications.

In my truck these are supplemented by number of Motorola Saber and Astro Saber radios that are programmed for specific purposes, local is often on, but the original purpose is following various Fed channels and systems related to work.

So I have many trunked systems programed in a repetitive manner into my scanners, but I almost never have them scanning at the same time in the same radio.

(Ignore the shack photo I have in my profile, it is was old even when I posted it, as I as figuring out how to space out radios in my truck and I was just figuring out how to upload a shack photo ... I should probably change that photo)

SCPD

QRT
Reception on 800

Ive been told the newer 536 has much better reception than the older 996XT, is that still going to be the case or should one throw the extra money into the 536 in hopes of better reception. I don't need all the bells and whistles the 536 offers but better reception would be the tipping point.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Ive been told the newer 536 has much better reception than the older 996XT, is that still going to be the case or should one throw the extra money into the 536 in hopes of better reception. I don't need all the bells and whistles the 536 offers but better reception would be the tipping point.

A better antenna would provide much better reception than a new scanner.

rwier

A better antenna would provide much better reception than a new scanner.

I would agree completely, unless that new scanner has the "analysis" features that the HP-1 (E) provides. Those "analysis" features let you determine OBJECTIVELY what is being delivered by the antenna to the scanner. This includes not only individual antenna performance differences, but also the performance differences of any attachment adapters, cable quality, site differences (multi-site systems), differences in antenna locations and antenna aiming (if applicable) , etc.

Once you determine that you are delivering "satisfactory" signal from the antenna to the (E), remove the (E) and hook up your old "bad" scanner and listen to your NOW WORKING GREAT old scanner.

stingray327

I understand that the 536 gets the best reception but what's even more important than that is the antenna you are using.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Nothing. The BCD536HP is considered the top model. BCD996P2 is a lower-priced alternative with fewer features.

Status
Not open for further replies.