Palmetto 800 to Palmetto 25 Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
any word on who will be joining the encryption bandwagon like Florence has chosen to do with their system I hope at least darlington and horry doesn't at least maybe ill still be able to hear them

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
if it is anything like the rebanding time line it will be 2020 before its complete!

however I am ok with them going to P25, but like Tt71 said, i just hope due to tight budgets that no one new decides to go for ENC!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Anyone else notice that the timeline listing in the middle of the document specifies December 31, 2016 as the date for all radios to be upgraded to P25 capability, but then the next paragraph specifies January 31, 2016 as the critical date to have all radios P25-capable? I wonder which is really is?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
They want everyone to start asap, and hope to have everyone ready by Feb 1, 2016. Seeing how fast they got VIPER done in NC I actually do expect them to have most of Palmetto ready and rolling by Feb 2106. Also of note Smart Net is going away in 2016 so expect anyone on those systems to also be upgrading. Unsure how many places with stand alones will also merge into the upgraded Palmetto yet, I don't have as many contacts any more as I used to when I lived in SC.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
As there is no longer any requirements to go to Phase 2, they most likely will remain Phase 1 for a while. Phase 2 (TDMA), is actually an better choice for the following: Larger entities that have a massive amount of users, users that are on smaller sites with less frequencies. But it is primarily up to the individual entity on systems that are Phase 2 capable whether or not to use it now. As far as I know, current plans for the Palmetto P25 are only for Phase 1 (FDMA).

grcjrsc

The most depressing thing about the transition will be the loss of 17 years of work by many of us in analyzing and deciphering the ins and outs of sites, talk-groups and unit IDs. At least we have better tools now. I remember contributing to the below site when all I had was a RadioShack Pro-90 with each site programmed in a separate bank and all known and identified talkgroups locked out. That radio was my constant companion for over a year.

State of South Carolina Trunked Radio system

sWninja

So...

Just getting started scanning local PD, and HWP, would a BCD996XT be a decent investment, for the foreseeable future, to explore this "hobby"? Ive been lurking for a while, and reading on the subject- so im not completely green- but would love to have one of you to speak to directly, via email, pm, or forums to discuss a few questions and hangups I have before purchasing equipment.

TIA

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yes the 996XT and its brother/sister the 396XT will do fine on the system. The only places that will have issues are the Simulcast Sites.... Multipath Distortion is well documented and so are the tricks to trying to fix that.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Feel free to contact me directly by private message or email. I'm not a Uniden guy, but I can help answer some general questions related to SC scanning. I might change your mind about your model choice.

SCPD

QRT
if it is anything like the rebanding time line it will be 2020 before its complete!

however I am ok with them going to P25, but like Tt71 said, i just hope due to tight budgets that no one new decides to go for ENC!

Tight budget or not. P25 equipment along with phase 1/ 2 equipment comes standard in large fleets with aes/des anymore. It's a included option. The only ones you'll see using cheap non large order buys with that option are average Joe which goes and buys it anyway third party or small towns or public works. As for police and fire it comes standard these days. Tight or luxurious budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.