• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV 5R V2 + issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

feb2007

So right to the point. I have these 2 radios and I have tried to programmed them with chirp on a mac. I have done everything right but still can not get it to work outside of simplex (all repeaters load). Everything loads just fine but when I try to TX nothing comes over my other radio.The offset doesn't appear when I input it by hand or when I save it then move it over to memory mode. I just noticed that the radio is running version BFS297. I can't find anything on updating it to the newest version. Please Help!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to Budget and Entry Level Transceivers since the Baofeng is not an Amateur Radio product.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
So right to the point. I have these 2 radios and I have tried to programmed them with chirp on a mac. I have done everything right but still can not get it to work outside of simplex (all repeaters load). Everything loads just fine but when I try to TX nothing comes over my other radio.The offset doesn't appear when I input it by hand or when I save it then move it over to memory mode. I just noticed that the radio is running version BFS297. I can't find anything on updating it to the newest version. Please Help!

There are several reason that you may not be able to hear the repeater.

1. You may not have programmed the CTCSS tone that is required to access the repeater. Without this tone, the repeater would ignore your radio.

2. You may have a receive CTCSS tone or receive DCS code programmed and the repeater doesn't transmit one. If your radio doesn't receive the matching tone, the squelch of the radio won't open.

3. You cannot listen to a repeater on a close by monitor. The strong and off frequency transmission will overload the monitor receiver. This is normal. Especially with a UV-5R because the SDR that it is based on isn't very selective.

See the Miklor.com FAQ #2.1 and #2.2

The UV-5R (and variants) do not use offsets in MR (channel) mode. To program a repeater channel requires 2 steps. The first step writes the RX frequency from the VFO into and empty channel. Then the secon step writes the TX frequency from the VFO to the same channel. Unless you write twice with both frequencies, you are only programming a simplex channel.

Baofeng Pofung Programming Memories UV5R UV82 GT3
Baofeng Pofung UV5R Programming Flow Chart UV-5R

You can no longer use the [3] + Power-on message to find the firmware version. All firmware versions since BFB297 report BFB297. The exception to this is BFS313 which reports BFS297. So your firmware version is BFS313.

You cannot update you firmware.

See the Miklor.com FAQ #1.2

Jim KC9HI

feb2007

Jim thank you for all the insight. i will try all to look over everything again. thanks again.

feb2007

Hey KC9HI, here another problem that i ran into. I can input a repeater and have hit hit back to me but when I try to save it over on memory ch. the t-ctcs does move over and then I can not TX or RX to it any more. Any idea?

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Hey KC9HI, here another problem that i ran into. I can input a repeater and have hit hit back to me but when I try to save it over on memory ch. the t-ctcs does move over and then I can not TX or RX to it any more. Any idea?

Are you following one of the guides on Miklor.com? You have to start by programming an empty memory channel with the RX frequency then you write to it a second time with the TX frequency.

The guides on miklor.com walk you though every step. If you follow every step, and don't go on to the next step until the current step is completed, you can't fail.

Jim KC9HI

RandyHudson

UV5RV2+ audio problem. CHIRP mistake

I need some badly, please. I uploaded my older uv5r data into my newer uv5rv2+, before I knew not to, I admit to being an idiot about these things. I have been trying to institute Miklors recovery process, but I am running into so many problems with this that I need help. 1) I am not allowed to save the older CHIRP, as my comp gives me about 43 requests to Abort/retry/ignore for "Error opening file for writing". 2) into trying save the BFB291Reset.img file, I am only offered the opportunity to burn it to my D: drive, and it does not work. 3) When I try to save the newer .img file, my comp tells me I have to ask my admin for permission, illogical as I am the only user on my comp and have all permissions. I have little experience in radios yet, but have jumped in. This is beyond me, and I'm thinking about throwing this radio out, and I've only had it for less than a day. The way this recovery procedure seems to me, it is like being told to make some chopsticks out of brick, weld them together, Then transmit with talcum powder, which I may download from Saturn. I know that is not what I am reading, but it is analogous of the difficulty I am having, fixing my screwup, or rather trying to fix my screwup. Any help would be great. TY

Status
Not open for further replies.