Forest Road Radio Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

joen7xxx

I have travelled around the Province a bit the past few years and have noted there are "controlled" roads in the forests where radio communication is required for safety while driving. Drivers call out their location by kilometer, vehicle type and direction of travel. These are where there is logging or heavy construction traffic such as the Forrest-Kerr Hydro construction in Northern BC. Is there a database of which frequencies are used where or his this set up by the companies doing work in the particular area? I'm just curious as to how this is managed and if there is a system or not.

Thanks

Joe

mikepdx

I have travelled around the Province a bit the past few years and have noted there are "controlled" roads in the forests where radio communication is required for safety while driving. Drivers call out their location by kilometer, vehicle type and direction of travel. These are where there is logging or heavy construction traffic such as the Forrest-Kerr Hydro construction in Northern BC. Is there a database of which frequencies are used where or his this set up by the companies doing work in the particular area? I'm just curious as to how this is managed and if there is a system or not.

Thanks

Joe

Frequent BC visitor here.

A great page at BC Ministry of Forests on the subject:
Road Radio Project

Also do a google search for Forest Road Frequencies + your Province of interest.

Much luck.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Drivers call out their location by kilometer, vehicle type and direction of travel. These are where there is logging or heavy construction traffic such as the Forrest-Kerr Hydro construction in Northern BC.

It is not just forestry activity. It is used where ever there is resource development. This is includes oil and gas as well. Some times you call every kilometre, sometimes, on busier roads it is only specific kilometres, and even hills.

Is there a database of which frequencies are used where

Yes and no. There is a list in the BS database of proposed resource road frequencies. When I submitted them it was a pilot in a couple of specific locations in BC. I do not know if this has changed or not. Usually the roads have signs at the entrance, giving the frequency, and name of the road.

or is this set up by the companies doing work in the particular area? I'm just curious as to how this is managed and if there is a system or not.

That I can not help you with. In Alberta it seems like the oil companies just pick what ever basic ten frequency they want. It appears in BC there is much more collaboration between industry, Industry Canada and Worksafe BC.

If you do a spectrum Direct search for 154.1000MHz in Bcc you will likely get hundreds if not thousands of licenses, if you look at that they are licensed for, they may also have a list of hundreds of resource road frequencies added as appendixes on their original license. There are approx 400 resource road frequencies in use in western Canada. They can be found anywhere between 148-174MHz. If you need more help PM me with an neal address and I will assist you off line.

Thanks

Joe[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

knightwarrier

Freq Master List For BC

This is a freq list I compiled years ago while I was logging in BC. It's a merge of the channels lists i had from several differnt areas and the BC Scanner Listings. Not sure if publication exists anymore. Some of the channels may be out of date as it was made a decade ago. Enjoy!

Attachments

• FREQNUM2-2.PDF
    107.9 KB · Views: 511

mciupa

Database Admin
This is a freq list I compiled years ago while I was logging in BC. It's a merge of the channels lists i had from several differnt areas and the BC Scanner Listings. Not sure if publication exists anymore. Some of the channels may be out of date as it was made a decade ago. Enjoy!

If any of those can be confirmed and are not listed, please let us know.

Thanks. :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Many of those are outdated by at least 10 years... Auto Tel is long gone, as is any Vancouver PS VHF... Mobil Tel(YJ XJ ect) is significantly reduced in active sites, some of the pairs are now licenced by other commercial users... City of Kelowna is one that comes to mind, s is Penticton SAR...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I imagine some of the frequencies are still good... i just ha e no time to go through them to figure out what is still active and what is not.

mciupa

Database Admin
I imagine some of the frequencies are still good... i just ha e no time to go through them to figure out what is still active and what is not.

No doubt.

I don't want them to bet lost in this thread so I banked them in the WIKI. If some of them turn out to be good and are missing, we can add them to the database as they are found.

knightwarrier

Freq lists

I still have the original channel lists for the various companies I worked for. Most are central B.C. I can post them if anyone interested. I kinda wished I copied the ones I had for Vancouver Island.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I still have the original channel lists for the various companies I worked for. Most are central B.C. I can post them if anyone interested. I kinda wished I copied the ones I had for Vancouver Island.

Major changes have taken place and are taking place on how radio channels are assigned for Resource Roads. Unless it is company channels, or repeaters, any of the 'road' channels are either outdated, or will be very shortly.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Major changes have taken place and are taking place on how radio channels are assigned for Resource Roads. Unless it is company channels, or repeaters, any of the 'road' channels are either outdated, or will be very shortly.

What changes are coming? Are they getting rid of the LADD's and the AB Open's?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
What changes are coming? Are they getting rid of the LADD's and the AB Open's?

No. In BC after a work place death, WorksafeBC, forestry industry, and IC came up with a bunch of standardized resource road channels. These are, after a pilot project causing some changes, being implemented province wide. All narrowband @ 30w. This only applies to BC, none of the LAD channels are effected. There is a link earlier in this thread with more info, and deployment timelines.

Edit:

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hth/engineering/Road_Radio_Project.htm

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And the LADD frequencies are basically for BC and not Alberta [maybe northern Alberta]. Alberta does have the Alberta Open frequencies.

SCPD

QRT
Interesting on the BC only for LADD. Below is from my license and usage areas for LADD1-4.

154.10000 154.10000 Licensed mobiles. BC, AB, YK, NWT NU only. Excluding
Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island
south of Nanaimo, BC, south of 53°30'00" latitude (i.e. south of
Edmonton) and 100km radius of Bonnyville, AB. (LAD-1)

154.32500 154.32500 Licensed mobiles. BC, YK, NWT and NU only. Excluding
Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope and
Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, BC (LAD-3)

158.94000 158.94000 Licensed mobiles. BC, YK, NWT and NU only. (LAD-2)

173.37000 173.37000 Licensed mobiles. BC, AB, SK, YK, NWT and NU only. Excluding a
50km radius of Saskatoon, SK and a 50 km radius of Margo, SK.
(LAD-4)

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Interesting on the BC only for LADD. Below is from my license and usage areas for LADD1-4.

154.10000 154.10000 Licensed mobiles. BC, AB, YK, NWT NU only. Excluding
Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island
south of Nanaimo, BC, south of 53°30'00" latitude (i.e. south of
Edmonton) and 100km radius of Bonnyville, AB. (LAD-1)

154.32500 154.32500 Licensed mobiles. BC, YK, NWT and NU only. Excluding
Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope and
Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, BC (LAD-3)

158.94000 158.94000 Licensed mobiles. BC, YK, NWT and NU only. (LAD-2)

173.37000 173.37000 Licensed mobiles. BC, AB, SK, YK, NWT and NU only. Excluding a
50km radius of Saskatoon, SK and a 50 km radius of Margo, SK.
(LAD-4)

I should have said the only place was northern Alberta, as in LAD 1. 173.37 is one of the Alberta Wide frequencies. I haven't heard 173.37 referred to as LAD 4 often.
As Well:
153.05000 153.05000 Licensed mobiles. AB, SK, MB, NWT and NU only. Excluding a
90 km radius of Strathmore, AB.
162.21000 162.21000 Licensed mobiles, AB, NWT and NU only. Excluding a 50km radius
of Crossfield, AB.
163.05000 163.05000 Licensed mobiles. AB, SK and MB only. Excluding north of
53°00'00" latitude and east of 104°00'00" longitude in SK.
165.48000 165.48000 Licensed mobiles. AB, SK and MB only.
166.62000 166.62000 Licensed mobiles. AB and SK only. Excluding south of
50°00'00" latitude, a 50km radius of Calgary, AB, a 50km radius
of Magrath, AB, a 110km radius of Wiseton, SK and a 110km radius
of Fillmore, SK
168.12000 168.12000 Licensed mobiles. AB only. Excluding a 50km radius of
Lake Louise, AB.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
173.37 IS LAD 4, always has been. The Alberta Wide is six channels not including LAD 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.