Confused and Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ypj

I'm a reborn scanner fan recently having gotten back into the hobby after a few years of inactivity because of the change over in radio systems left me without a compatible radio. I appreciate your patience if this is a silly question I'm still learning the ropes. I now have a BCD996XT receiver.

Last night I was listening to the Val Verde Sheriff Department activity on the regional trunked system, all local agencies use the APCO P-25 Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System (GATRRS). There was radio traffic out in the Comstock area of the county that was very good copy on the Del Rio site as most mobiles normally are. Eventually the deputies wound up using their handi talkies as they were outside of their units and their radio traffic was switched to the Comstock site because the HTs were out of range for the Del Rio site, dispatch confirmed to another local unit that those deputies were working off of the Comstock site. I've got all of the sites in the county (per RR database) programmed into my scanner but I could no longer copy any of the traffic pertaining to that call between the deputies on the ground. Comstock is 30 miles as the crow flies from my location, and I only have an indoor antenna which has been more than adequate but I doubt it is sufficient to receive the Comstock site directly.

Since the system is a trunked system shouldn't I have been able to receive the Comstock radio traffic on the Del Rio site along with the other radio traffic? Or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to share!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
With newer systems radios have to affiliate with a site then the traffic will pass thru that site and what ever talk group its affiliated with.
Its possible that the portables affiliated with the other / farther away site and no portables / mobiles were affiliated with the site closest to you. So if nothing is affiliated with the talkgroup on the site closest to you then you wont hear the traffic as the system is saving resources and not broadcasting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.