MSP Trruck Unit Callsigns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been monitoring and logging UIDs for various MSP system users..

One that is confusing me a bit is the units that key up and ID themselves as Truck500-Truck600-Truck700..And today I heard Truck550..

What/Who are these users?..Are they troopers assigned to enforce tractor-trailer codes/reg's...
Are they part of the TANGO callsign?..

The AAA trucks ID as -HelpVans- right?..

What do these Truck500-550-600..ect drive..Crown-Vik's..SUV's..Specialized vehicles?..Ive only seen the
marked/unmarked patrol cars and SUVs in my travels..

I hear them respond to tire change assists also..

Hopefully someone can shed a lil light on this for me..

ecps92

Those are Two different Agencies on the "Commonwealths TRS"
a.) Mass DOT
b.) Mass State Police

Truck Units are not the MSP, but the fomer Mass Turnpike now Mass DOT working the Metropolitan Highway System - Massachusetts Turnpike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The legislature separated the Turnpike into a western portion, from the New York border to Interstate 95, and the eastern Metropolitan Highway System, which includes a 15-mile (24 km) stretch of the Turnpike from Interstate 95 to East Boston, the Ted Williams, Sumner, and Callahan tunnels under Boston Harbor, and I-93 from Southampton Street through the Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill tunnel and the Leonard P. Zakim Bridge to the foot of the Tobin Bridge.[9] Finances for the two parts of the Turnpike are accounted for separately.

Troopers/Cruisers for the "Truck" aka Commercial Vehicle Enforement Section (CVES)
using a Callsign ending with "T - Tango"

You will notice they are on Non MSP Talk-Groups where the CVES folks are on MSP Talk-Groups.

The Help Vans use the Talkgroup of the Troop they are working and are generally 52xx Call Signs (if my memory is still functioning with all this snow)

Ive been monitoring and logging UIDs for various MSP system users..

One that is confusing me a bit is the units that key up and ID themselves as Truck500-Truck600-Truck700..And today I heard Truck550..

What/Who are these users?..Are they troopers assigned to enforce tractor-trailer codes/reg's...
Are they part of the TANGO callsign?..

The AAA trucks ID as -HelpVans- right?..

What do these Truck500-550-600..ect drive..Crown-Vik's..SUV's..Specialized vehicles?..Ive only seen the
marked/unmarked patrol cars and SUVs in my travels..

I hear them respond to tire change assists also..

Hopefully someone can shed a lil light on this for me..

Ahh,,Its much clearer now..

the units Ive monitored have been on the MSP trunk,( I get no RX of the Commonwealth P25 at my location,Border of Hampshire & Worcester Co.)

The info you linked to and that was left in your comments is spot on and helped tremendously!..

On a side note,ECPS92,You should be noted as one of Radio-Ref's Most Valuable Players..You provide great concise information across many forums..

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you were hearing these units on Troop E talk groups, they are service trucks to assist motorists with vehicle problems. They don't do towing, but if someone runs out of gas, has a flat, or something similar, they will respond. They aren't troopers, but they use the same talk groups. They probably have DOT talk groups in their radios as well. Even when Troop E was on VHF, they used those channels.

Since the "Turnpike" now extends to I-93 in Boston, the tunnels, and the Tobin Bridge, I expect that they are there as well.

I don't pay a lot of attention to them, but the last time I noticed one, it was a pick up truck with a cap on it and of course lots of yellow lights.

ecps92

Actually the 800 (Analog) altho run/managed by the MSP is not exclusive to them
Hence my use of "Commonwealth" regularly, it get's folks thinking there is more than just MSP on it.

:D Thanks :wink: we try, sometimes folks don't listen :roll:

Ahh,,Its much clearer now..

the units Ive monitored have been on the MSP trunk,( I get no RX of the Commonwealth P25 at my location,Border of Hampshire & Worcester Co.)

The info you linked to and that was left in your comments is spot on and helped tremendously!..

On a side note,ECPS92,You should be noted as one of Radio-Ref's Most Valuable Players..You provide great concise information across many forums..

ecps92

Plenty of MTA/MDOT Ramp trucks now, to expedite getting them off the highway.
Generally see them dropping the Car off in So Boston off the Haul Road

Wish the Recruits would learn how to use the Push Bars as well, at Rush Hour, like the old METS used em.... :cool:

If you were hearing these units on Troop E talk groups, they are service trucks to assist motorists with vehicle problems. They don't do towing, but if someone runs out of gas, has a flat, or something similar, they will respond. They aren't troopers, but they use the same talk groups. They probably have DOT talk groups in their radios as well. Even when Troop E was on VHF, they used those channels.

Since the "Turnpike" now extends to I-93 in Boston, the tunnels, and the Tobin Bridge, I expect that they are there as well.

I don't pay a lot of attention to them, but the last time I noticed one, it was a pick up truck with a cap on it and of course lots of yellow lights.

garys

Premium Subscriber

Wish the Recruits would learn how to use the Push Bars as well, at Rush Hour, like the old METS used em.... :cool:

I try hard not to be in the city during rush hour, so I don't see a lot of that.

Can't use the push bars because that might scratch the paint on the Bluebird and we can't have that! :)

RKG

"The Mets?". Jeekers, Bill, you're showing your age. I'll bet half the people who read these pages weren't born yet when "consolidation" happened. ��

garys

Premium Subscriber
"The Mets?". Jeekers, Bill, you're showing your age. I'll bet half the people who read these pages weren't born yet when "consolidation" happened. ��

It's only be 23 years, what are you talking about? :D

I did a lot of calls with the Mets back in the 1980s. At one point, my ambulance was stationed out of the OC.

And I don't mean Orange County. :wink:

Wow..The METS...
You referring to the ol' Green N Whites / MDC-PD?...When my dad was sta. at FtDevens/10th SFG..

We would visit Castle Island on weekends during the summers..I remember the green n white cruisers
vividly...
Im feeling old now too... my winter beard is showing grey,,now this..AARP here I come!

garys

Premium Subscriber
You're young because you don't remember the ones that looked like rolling Howard Johnson's. Then again, you probably don't remember Howard Johnson, either. :wink:

Wow..The METS...
You referring to the ol' Green N Whites / MDC-PD?...When my dad was sta. at FtDevens/10th SFG..

We would visit Castle Island on weekends during the summers..I remember the green n white cruisers
vividly...
Im feeling old now too... my winter beard is showing grey,,now this..AARP here I come!

ecps92

Hey, Intercity (158.9700) was my wake up call at 5am for College.
"Knock it Off Cranston"

True - Consolidation of the Capitol, Metro (MDC) and Registry (RMV) with the MSP
Adding Troops G, H and I

ecps92

Yup the MDC Police , which became Metro PD
M.D.C. Police Photos - Introduction

Wow..The METS...

vividly...

You're young because you don't remember the ones that looked like rolling Howard Johnson's. Then again, you probably don't remember Howard Johnson, either. :wink:

Ah..Ho-Jo's..I do remember that,,Was next to where FORTRESS Storage is now..They tore it down and put up what,,a minimall and apartment buildings..Ho-Jo's shoulda been deemed a Natnl Heritage Site...

Came back into Boston after almost 20yrs abroad..Looks completely different,but the same..like a bathroom that someone put one of those Pre-Fab bathtubs over the old one..some new cabinet doors..

Dorchester,Southie,Braintree,Quincy,Hydepark..JP...All exactly the same..Lotsa New Roads Though!

RKG

Let us not forget the 4-channel GE Mastr Pro "Progress Line" mobiles. Drop one of those suitcase sized decks on your foot and you'd never walk again! (And back then, 25 kHz (or sometimes "25 kc") was called " narrow band.")

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but you probably don't remember the on on the Xway in Quincy, or the one on Route 138 in Canton. Or the hundreds of other ones around the country.

Ah..Ho-Jo's..I do remember that,,Was next to where FORTRESS Storage is now..They tore it down and put up what,,a minimall and apartment buildings..Ho-Jo's shoulda been deemed a Natnl Heritage Site...

Came back into Boston after almost 20yrs abroad..Looks completely different,but the same..like a bathroom that someone put one of those Pre-Fab bathtubs over the old one..some new cabinet doors..

Dorchester,Southie,Braintree,Quincy,Hydepark..JP...All exactly the same..Lotsa New Roads Though!

garys

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Power Call siren, though. :p

Let us not forget the 4-channel GE Mastr Pro "Progress Line" mobiles. Drop one of those suitcase sized decks on your foot and you'd never walk again! (And back then, 25 kHz (or sometimes "25 kc") was called " narrow band.")

Yes, but you probably don't remember the on on the Xway in Quincy, or the one on Route 138 in Canton. Or the hundreds of other ones around the country.

Quincy..No...But I Do remember Cathay-Pacific!...Home of the most lethal Scorpion Bowls!...

I also remember York-Steak House..In Hanover,At the Hanover Mall entrance..My pop loved that place,,With the orange food trays and dim lighting..

I remember the MSP having their K9 Barack's out in Stoneham..There was a trooper,A Sgt..Cruiser # 666,,had a mo-hawk..and a big ol' rottweiler partner..He inspired me to go into training..and now breeding..

ecps92

Greenfield = Rte 91 / Rte 2 :mad:
OK, we are really getting off Topic :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.