Central Ohio March 31st Major Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
Spoke briefly Saturday to a Motorola engineer who has been working since October converting thousands of Safety Services radios to a new, uniform digital system, including State Patrol. He said March 31st is the "drop dead" date for switching over to the new system. Most alarming was his warning that digital scanners could be silent April 1st until databases are updated! I hope Radio Reference contributors are aware of this.

budevans

Spoke briefly Saturday to a Motorola engineer who has been working since October converting thousands of Safety Services radios to a new, uniform digital system, including State Patrol. He said March 31st is the "drop dead" date for switching over to the new system. Most alarming was his warning that digital scanners could be silent April 1st until databases are updated! I hope Radio Reference contributors are aware of this.

Old news..... Check out the MARCS-IP P25 system, which is the replacement for the MARCS Moto Type II system.

Regarding the Highway Patrol change over. The date has been moved out due to technical issues with Patrol Car repeaters.

phask

Premium Subscriber
OMG - the sky is falling - see the pinned post at the top = MARCS -IP.

Most of us will miss little, ones who do no keep informed are on their own.

I still see people go "I can't hear my SO" and he's been on MARCS for 1 year already.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
OMG - the sky is falling - see the pinned post at the top = MARCS -IP.

Most of us will miss little, ones who do no keep informed are on their own.

I still see people go "I can't hear my SO" and he's been on MARCS for 1 year already.

Folks, I for one appreciate that WeldGuy took the time to pass along his information. This whole site depends on user information, and his efforts are appreciated. Any information or confirmation we receive just helps us keep the database accurate.

So, WeldGuy, thank you.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just saw the Ohio MARCS-IP Project 25 database was updated yesterday (3-08). If things work out to plan (thanks to those updating the database) we should be able to download updates to radios April 1 and be good to go!
Sorry if my post seemed stupid or beneath some members. I'm a welder, not an electrical engineer. This site is how I am learning about this digital stuff.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Just saw the Ohio MARCS-IP Project 25 database was updated yesterday (3-08). If things work out to plan (thanks to those updating the database) we should be able to download updates to radios April 1 and be good to go!
Sorry if my post seemed stupid or beneath some members. I'm a welder, not an electrical engineer. This site is how I am learning about this digital stuff.

Thanks for the info. The thread below has followed MARCS-IP since the beginning. It may give you some insight.

http://forums.radioreference.com/oh...238-unidentified-new-marcs-ip-talkgroups.html

rcool101

Feed Provider
The sad truth is some radios are still silent from the MARCS rebanding. Every so often a post appears saying their radio is junk because it wont receive MARCS

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
W8rmh,

I'm one of the more patient people around here but even I find it an exercise in futility to thumb through over 2,200 posts in that thread on something that isn't even relevant to the thread topic. This should have its own thread.

Rcool, it is sad, isn't it? Then again, who listens to a scanner like that then let's it sit for over a year and expects everything to be the same?

Finally, weldguy... that is the first confirmation of anything I've seen on here that suggests the process is still on schedule.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
W8rmh,

I'm one of the more patient people around here but even I find it an exercise in futility to thumb through over 2,200 posts in that thread on something that isn't even relevant to the thread topic. This should have its own thread.

True, but you only have to read it once, then just follow the new posts. It would be even harder to try to sort through dozens of threads. Just having the 2 different MARCS threads alone have confused many people.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Marcs

I feel sorry for people when they post on here as I have been the victim made fun off or questioned. MOST of us are not professional POSTERS and have a life other than know everything in scanner land. A lot on here need to get another life and realize he is working, not drawing off welfare, and he found out something hje thought was important. You professional posters need to lighten up, or maybe start your OWN forum page. I suggest this topic be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.