Best scanner apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRoss1124

Was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for the top scanner apps out there? Also: Is there a reason some of the online feeds have several agencies (in WV for example) combined? Would be nice if they would seperate police/fire ems. Any feedback would be appreciated..

mule1075

Feed Provider
Gordon Edwards Scanner Radio app is the best in my opinion. As for why feeds have agencies combined is it is the feed providers who choose what they feed.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

marksmith

I also have the Gordon Edwards Scanner Radio Pro. Mainly only use it for hearing stuff that is way outside my ability to truly scan it locally and to alert to nationwide news stories.

If you really want to monitor or scan what you want... get a scanner. Very limited control (none) over online scanners.

Mark
---------
BCD536HP/HP1/HP2/BCD996XT/BCD396XT(2)/BCD996T/PSR-800 and others.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
+1 for Gordon Edwards' Scanner Radio app. I use it with the Bluetooth connection in my truck. Works great.

As for combining agencies, my view - admittedly biased, as I have three agencies from the same municipality on my feed - is that it lets the feed provider make better use of his/her scanner and avoids the need to buy multiple scanners, for example ...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The above mentioned app is decent. The one I use the most is Police Radio Pro, which I think is by Crushed Box software. I like it the most because the display is larger.

I've also used 5-0 Radio, Police Scan, Emergency Radio and Action Scanner.

Action Scanner is kind of neat because you can listen to several feeds at the same time. Kind of like scanning several feeds. Unfortunately it does not display alpha tags (when the feed provider uses them) nor does it have a sleep timer.

Flythunderbird- how did you set this up to go through your truck's bluetooth connection?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Flythunderbird- how did you set this up to go through your truck's bluetooth connection?

My F-150 has Sync with MyFord (not MyFord Touch). When I bought the truck, I paired the phone with MyFord via Bluetooth so the truck would automatically connect with the phone each time I start the truck.

I start the Scanner Radio app and select which feed I want. Once the phone says the feed is streaming, I give MyFord the voice command "Bluetooth Audio." MyFord automatically starts pulling audio over the Bluetooth connection into the stereo system; the only thing left to do is adjust the volume levels on the phone and the instrument panel. It works really well! :cool:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I too have a '13 F150, but it has the MyFord Touch. Hopefully it will work similarly.

I'll give it a shot.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
"Radio Feedz" is a good app that lets you combine multiple feeds to listen at once, or in my case have multiple feeds at my fingertips that I can turn on and off with a tap.

If listening to a lot of feeds at once, I would only use it on wifi.

DickH

Was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for the top scanner apps out there? Also: Is there a reason some of the online feeds have several agencies (in WV for example) combined? Would be nice if they would seperate police/fire ems. Any feedback would be appreciated..

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.(an old adage).

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
The best App I have found has been the "Scanner Radio" app.. It's free, and very easy to navigate.

coolderb

My F-150 has Sync with MyFord (not MyFord Touch). When I bought the truck, I paired the phone with MyFord via Bluetooth so the truck would automatically connect with the phone each time I start the truck.

I start the Scanner Radio app and select which feed I want. Once the phone says the feed is streaming, I give MyFord the voice command "Bluetooth Audio." MyFord automatically starts pulling audio over the Bluetooth connection into the stereo system; the only thing left to do is adjust the volume levels on the phone and the instrument panel. It works really well! :cool:

I do pretty much the same thing in my Lincoln but it doesn't have bluetooth so I plug my Iphone into an adapter that feeds into the back of my factory stereo. I select AUX input on the screen and I'm in business. Works great! I usually have my HP2 in the car for the local stuff and a stream from neighboring townships streaming through the phone apps (Police Scanner + and Action Scanner).

BTW, Action Scanner does in fact have a sleep timer.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It should. There may be some small differences with the MyFord Touch screen interface, but the principle is the same.

Tried it today and worked just fine. Even displayed the alpha tags coming with the feed. Downside was I could not listen to the "regular" radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.