crossing into Niagara Falls with blue lights installed on POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhrrs69

I will be traveling up to Niagara Falls next month, and I currently have blue lights installed on my car since I'm a volunteer fireman. Any one know if these lights will be an issue crossing at the boarder or when driving around the city. I have volunteer fireman tags on my car so I'm hoping that they won't give me a hard time. I will have them disconnected from power so that they won't get turned on by accident.

FLPage

Premium Subscriber
Crossing the border

I've been a firefighter for 44 years now and have crossed the Canadian border probably 40 times with either red or blue lights, depending on where I was living at the time. Never had a problem.

tomhrrs69

Thanks for the replies. I also have a card issued to me by my chief that allows me to have the blue light installed, so I'll make sure I have it with me just in case.

mciupa

Wear the bunker coat and helmet, just in case :lol:

SCPD

QRT
Do Ontario first responders use blue lights?
It's been many years since I've crossed the border, but it seems blue lights were on snow plows.
Alternating yellow and white rotating lights were volunteer firemen. (this is before strobes were even invented).
I'll bet a lot has changed.

mlmummert

Blue lights are for snow plows.

Volunteers use Green lights.

I've heard stories of people who thought they were being pulled over by snow plows in ON.

Aren't they starting to change to yellow, which would be more in line with other regions?

mlmummert

Btw I've heard of discussions similar to this regarding crossing state borders in the US (e.g. Pennsylvania vs Maryland). I think as long as your installation is legal at home and you aren't doing anything dumb like riding around with the lights on, you'll be fine.

KB7MIB

Actually, I saw a comment to a thread on these forums recently where a large meeting of volunteer firefighters and/or fire police officers was held in Maryland, and virtually every Pennsylvania tagged vehicle that had visible blue lights was ticketed by Maryland police.

My dad is a former PA fire police officer from '77-'84, and when we went down to MD, he covered his lights with cardboard and duct tape. (He had a pair of revolving blue lights on a small light bar on the roof.)

If at all possible, I'd use an out of service cover or something to cover the lights before leaving home. Better to cover them than to be inconveinenced by a delay crossing the border, or by a traffic stop once across, even if no citation is issued to you.

John
Peoria, AZ

Edit: A correction, it was a volunteer firefighter convention in West Virginia, close to the PA border. The West Virginia State Police cited nearly all of the vehicles from PA, because WV law says only LE vehicles can have blue lights. (The post was on page 3 in the now closed Mobile Scanner Law thread in the Florida forum.)

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've heard stories of people who thought they were being pulled over by snow plows in ON.

Aren't they starting to change to yellow, which would be more in line with other regions?

Nope, green is designated for volunteer firefighters in the HTA and awareness of their use is finally starting to get out there.

VE3JSO

i don't think that would be a problem in ontario i have seen blue lights on personal trucks where i live but to be safe i ether just cover it up or contact CBSA before you travel and they would let you know if it is going to be a problem

mlmummert

I think customs could care less about your lights. They're more interested in things like smuggling. The issue is will the cops come after you for violating traffic laws.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The Highway Traffic Act in Ontario says you can't *use* blue lights, it doesn't say you can't *have* blue lights. You'll be okay as long as you don't use them.

DaveH

The Highway Traffic Act in Ontario says you can't *use* blue lights, it doesn't say you can't *have* blue lights. You'll be okay as long as you don't use them.

Just think, if he encounters a late-season snowstorm, he'll be all set... :)

BTW suggest leaving behind any guns and/or radar detectors (if it applies).

Dave

Last edited:
I will have them disconnected from power so that they won't get turned on by accident.

Why not just cover them? "Out of sight, out of mind". I'm of the "Don't attract attention" mindset.

I have no knowledge of Canadian laws. In Florida, "possession" of a blue light by non-LEO is illegal, and they WILL prosecute. Too many imposters out and about.

mlmummert

Just think, if he encounters a late-season snowstorm, he'll be all set... :)

BTW suggest leaving behind any guns and/or radar detectors (if it applies).

Dave

Radar detectors are illegal in Ontario. Guns require proper permitting, customs declarations, etc, something a casual traveler to Canada likely doesn't have. Not having that will get one locked up. Don't bring either.

Status
Not open for further replies.