NewB..

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoGuyNJ

Hello Everyone, I am new to the scanner world.. I just received my BC346XTC , I am in Middlesex Cnty, NJ.
I have been doing some reading , O MY.. I would really appreciate any & All the help to set this up..
I would like to know if I am able to hook up the GPS receiver & run scan to get all the Frequencies ??.LOL
I know short cut..not good if I want the right way.. I am a Photographer & will give back to community once I am up & running.. Also I read I have to delete what Is on here to load what I want for my use.. Also am I able to delete other banks to load different countys..?

Look forward to meeting some & all the Help.. thanks a Mill Guys..charlie

PS, also I tried to sign up for Prem. membership was having problem ..I entered CC 2- of them kept saying not good info..?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Welcome to RR. All the GPS feature does is enable/disable the frequencies when you enter/leave their area. You still need to program the frequencies/systems into the scanner first.

The easiest way is by computer of course but it can be done manually.

If you have the cable you can download Freescan and copy/paste the info from RR using EZ-Grab and then send it to the scanner (without a premium membership).

It looks like Middlesex County uses an EDACS Standard system so it has to be programmed as such. Also the frequencies have to be programmed in LCN order (the order they are in on the system page).

You will be limited in what you will be able to monitor. Note the "Mode" column on the system page (in blue). Any talk group with a "D" (digital) you will not be able to monitor with that scanner which is analog only. "M" is mixed digital/analog. An "E" (encrypted) means it can not be decoded on any scanner.

Last edited:

PhotoGuyNJ

Thanks W8RMH

I appreciate the Info...
I was looking on freescan, I see that if I have a premium membership here. I will be able to build my County & frequencies .. then use a USB cord to transfer , also I see there is a lot to do before that..

Anymore tips will be great.. I am sure that I will have Questions as I go along..

PhotoGuyNJ

Change Scanner..?

Welcome to RR. All the GPS feature does is enable/disable the frequencies when you enter/leave their area. You still need to program the frequencies/systems into the scanner first.

The easiest way is by computer of course but it can be done manually.

If you have the cable you can download Freescan and copy/paste the info from RR using EZ-Grab and then send it to the scanner (without a premium membership).

It looks like Middlesex County uses an EDACS Standard system so it has to be programmed as such. Also the frequencies have to be programmed in LCN order (the order they are in on the system page).

You will be limited in what you will be able to monitor. Note the "Mode" column on the system page (in blue). Any talk group with a "D" (digital) you will not be able to monitor with that scanner which is analog only. "M" is mixed digital/analog. An "E" (encrypted) means it can not be decoded on any scanner.

OK, So I take it I can enter my Freq. only if they are NFM Fm..?? none of the Digital or analog will go in..??
So I should have done more Homework, Guess I should return & exchange for an upgrade... BCD396XT Looks like my best one then.. Correct.. Thanks

captclint

Mentor
OK, So I take it I can enter my Freq. only if they are NFM Fm..?? none of the Digital or analog will go in..??
So I should have done more Homework, Guess I should return & exchange for an upgrade... BCD396XT Looks like my best one then.. Correct.. Thanks
No, your county is on an EDACS Standard system, which is not entirely digital. The mode, in this case, tells you which users are provoice "D", and which are analog:"A" You can receive Analog, So for instance, all of the DPW and Health users(talk groups are Analog. As stated, you will have to program the EDACS frequencies into a system and associate the correct LCN nbr with each frequency. for example, LCN 01 is 851.17500. LCN 02 is 851.42500, etc .Then, you enter the "A" talk groups/users you want to monitor.

None of this has anything to do with NFM or FM (Analog), which you can receive on your 346. When you are not on a system page, the mode, in this column, is different. Where you see P25 or Project 25, that is also digital, which you could receive with the 396(except where the mode is "E" for encrypted). However, no scanner can receive Provoice, so you don't need to exchange if that is the only "digital" system you want to monitor.

If you go to the bottom of Middlesex, you will see All Trunked Radio Systems. Here, if it says Project 25, that is digital. Clicking on them, you again need to look at the mode. If it shows "D" (or "A") you can receive those with the 396, but not if it shows "E", which no scanner can receive. To make matters worse, Edison Township shows Motorola Type II SmartZone, but if you click on it, you will see System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interfaced. This also means some of the users may Digital, and some may be Encrypted. New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) can only be monitored by the newest Uniden BCD325P2 or other Phase II scanners. However, Middlesex County (OpenSky) can not be monitored by any scanner.

Yes, this is quite confusing. Take some time to look at all the systems, modes, and any comments at the top about system type to decide if you really want to spend considerably more money for a digital scanner. As stated, all this is a lot easier with software. Since you are a premium user, you can use Freescan to download all the correct system parameters/types, frequencies, and talk groups automatically, which should create the correct EDACS system, and any P25 systems you need if you decide to get a BCD396XT or other newer models.

Last edited:

PhotoGuyNJ

Upgrade 4 Sure

Captclint... Thanks for your Time.. Yes I do want to exchange for the upgrade.
After much reading , I now see it`s in my best interest, Not only the Programing.. the "C" alone says it all
California complience is the Biggie, I can`t leave rechargeables in & charge in the Scanner.. So with the being said.!! That`s it...
And Yes , I have the Prem. membership, I already looked at freescan, It will be a challenge , one One I am looking forward to.. Build it all on my PC, Then upload to scanner & hopefully I don't screw it up..LOL
Time to watch the Tut. Vids on how to..
Thanks Again... :)

PhotoGuyNJ

HELP....PLEASE

OK, I am waiting for The BCD396XT, I have been looking at the Vid Tutiorals..
Been on Freescan & playing with the Program to upload which departments /talk groups I want on there.. The one thing I like to know is that when I begin to upload the system(s).->Talk Groups).& I have to clik to erase/delete whats currently on it.. Do I have to set it up (scanner) for anything before ??

Also I have a BC125AT/ could I set it up with freescan also..?? How..??

Thanks A lot Guys..!

captclint

Mentor
OK, I am waiting for The BCD396XT, I have been looking at the Vid Tutiorals..
Been on Freescan & playing with the Program to upload which departments /talk groups I want on there.. The one thing I like to know is that when I begin to upload the system(s).->Talk Groups).& I have to clik to erase/delete whats currently on it.. Do I have to set it up (scanner) for anything before ??

Also I have a BC125AT/ could I set it up with freescan also..?? How..??

Thanks A lot Guys..!
No to both. It is always wise to erase all systems and settings as you said. After your 1st upload, always click on the Replace any existing system. Usually, you will only be uploading 1 or 2 systems, so you do not want to erase all.Also, get in the habit of not selecting "send System quick keys after the 1st upload. If you ever disable some, this will undo every disable you have selected...very annoying. Butel has a good program for the 125, but it is not free.

Last edited:

PhotoGuyNJ

Hi Charlie Michael here welcome!! I'm a Essex county guy here myself there's plenty to listen to in New Jersey have fun!!!!

Michael, It`s my pleasure to meet you.. I am a Photographer,LOl.. Guese my Handle(screen name) you can see that.. I like to get into Photo Journalism.. I am sure once I am up & running I will be out a lot.. Hope to chat more Have a Great day !! :)
Any tips would be well Appreciated..Thanks..

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Here is a manual/reference tool which is invaluable in using your BCD396XT. Don't let it overwhelm you, half of these features you will probably never even use.

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Make sure you read up on Quick Keys. This seems to be the biggest mistake new users make.

One little trick not in the manuals, when you label a system/site or group include the quick key number in the alpha tag. This will let you know what number to enter to enable/disable what is being scanned.

You can also press "Menu", "Program System", and scroll down through all your systems to find the quick keys.

You are always welcome to private message me as well if you have a problem.

Last edited:

PhotoGuyNJ

No to both. It is always wise to erase all systems and settings as you said. After your 1st upload, always click on the Replace any existing system. Usually, you will only be uploading 1 or 2 systems, so you do not want to erase all.Also, get in the habit of not selecting "send System quick keys after the 1st upload. If you ever disable some, this will undo every disable you have selected...very annoying. Butel has a good program for the 125, but it is not free.

OK, I See That I can upload multiple systems with many talk groups, with`n the perimeters & I have to make sure that I have appropriate # associate with each.. As System 1 & each talk group #`d as such ..
System 2, Group 1, Group2 & so On...& On...

Now you say "not" Selecting send System quick keys after 1st upload .?? Little confused on that..?
So after I do Middlesex cnty-(System 1)(talk group 1,2,3)etc & I like to get another county programed...Don`t select quick keys..? ...wouldn't I have to select system 2 , 3, 4.?? then associate the talk groups 1,2,3.. & So on..?
Only I would "NOT" check off the replace / delete function.. am I correct..?

Ok The last thing Tone outs..!! in trunked when loading I don't see it ? , as I see it in conventional..

Can I also load conventional with trunked ..? As long as that system is also numbered correctly..?
WOW.. This can get very Interesting.. As SGT. Schultz would say.. Very Interesting.. LOl.. Little comedy to keep it fun..LOL

GUYS, Thanks so much for your time.. I`m looking forward to get this going & hopefully share some Knowledge(back),. as I get going & hopefully some great photos..

PhotoGuyNJ

Here is a manual/reference tool which is invaluable in using your BCD396XT. Don't let it overwhelm you, half of these features you will probably never even use.

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Make sure you read up on Quick Keys. This seems to be the biggest mistake new users make.

One little trick not in the manuals, when you label a system/site or group include the quick key number in the alpha tag. This will let you know what number to enter to enable/disable what is being scanned.

You can also press "Menu", "Program System", and scroll down through all your systems to find the quick keys.

You are always welcome to private message me as well if you have a problem.

WOW, Thanks so Much... !!
I also watched the Vid on making sure to turn on the Group when in a system/site.. I am sure this is the point you are making Correct..?

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
Now you say "not" Selecting send System quick keys after 1st upload .?? Little confused on that..?
Lest say you have 10 systems, and you assign quick keys 0-9 to them, and upload all of them. Then, you "turn off" systems 1,5,7,8. If you select to load quickeys, it will turn 1,5,7,8 back on, and you then have to remember each one and turn them off. W8RMH's trick of adding the SQK to the system name is really good idea, and has saved me a lot of time when I accidentally reload SQK's.
So after I do Middlesex cnty-(System 1)(talk group 1,2,3)etc & I like to get another county programed...Don`t select quick keys..? ...wouldn't I have to select system 2 , 3, 4.?? then associate the talk groups 1,2,3.. & So on..?
When you upload any system, the SQK is uploaded automatically, so the 1st upload assigns SQK's. If you turn one of more off in Freescan, it will upload that info each time you replace/update any system, or you can turn them on/off while scanning..
Ok The last thing Tone outs..!! in trunked when loading I don't see it ? , as I see it in conventional..
If you mean PL tones, there are none with trunk system. There are other things such as NAC's sometimes. Tone out is a paging system, not to be confused with PD/DPL tones.
Can I also load conventional with trunked
No, if you mean download from RR. but yes if you mean upload to scanner. You should also spend some time there: FreeScan User Guide

Last edited:

PhotoGuyNJ

Lest say you have 10 systems, and you assign quick keys 0-9 to them, and upload all of them. Then, you "turn off" systems 1,5,7,8. If you select to load quickeys, it will turn 1,5,7,8 back on, and you then have to remember each one and turn them off. W8RMH's trick of adding the SQK to the system name is really good idea, and has saved me a lot of time when I accidentally reload SQK's.
When you upload any system, the SQK is uploaded automatically, so the 1st upload assigns SQK's. If you turn one of more off in Freescan, it will upload that info each time you replace/update any system, or you can turn them on/off while scanning..
If you mean PL tones, there are none with trunk system. There are other things such as NAC's sometimes. Tone out is a paging system, not to be confused with PD/DPL tones.
No, if you mean download from RR. but yes if you mean upload to scanner. You should also spend some time there: FreeScan User Guide

OK I was trying to get all of Middlesex Cnty all loaded at one time,, Now what I see is some of the towns have/ or under a different system, so they all don't appear when I clik on Middlesex cnty.. Then I see how some towns are on other towns / trunked system.. which now I have to load 5 different system with there groups.. LOL... O boy.. time to shave my head again so I cant grab my nubs..LOL

SQK--> so ,, I should load each system separate to make sure it is done correct..By Default each one has a SQK.. how do I know what it is.. Then all I have to do is k/assign a # to each group..

O Boy .. Excited now.. Bell just rang she is here..Yippie..!!

captclint

Mentor
SQK--> so ,, I should load each system separate to make sure it is done correct..By Default each one has a SQK.. how do I know what it is.. Then all I have to do is k/assign a # to each group
You can upload some, one, or all your conventional and trunking systems at one time. Doing one at a time is definitely not necessary. On the system page in FreeScan, the 2nd item from the top left is the SQK. That is where you assign it.

PhotoGuyNJ

Thanks To All..

Hey Guy`s,
Thanks so much.!! I truly am very great full for all your help.!! I also am great full for this site, It`s so Awesome.!!

Don`t worry I am sure I have a few more Questions..& more as I go along..lol Soooooo...

Ok, I now have a bunch of System`s getting ready to Edit, SQK(groups)...etc... So I see that I can set which ones I want for priority.. Also I "Can" have more then-> (1) in each Grp.. multiples through out the system, Correct.!!
Also Captclint, The Tones I was trying to say was for "Fire Pageing"(Alert)...Are they all on Auto, So when there is a Call Signal for a Response team to Go.. I would not have to worry bout that.?? But, I read or saw in a Vid.?/ cant remember that it can be changed(programed).??-for a distinct(signal), hence a town.?? Etc..?? I am sure that it can get into some detail..!!

Also I need the USB to serial, arrgg..I saw the links , think I saved it..

AC2OY- Don`t sweat it dude, when I get this down I`ll help you.. this is so Cool.. It def. takes time & lots of reading.. reading reading, watching VIDS....Oyea patience..lol , next I will have the big pot of Joe....I bet you have fun listening to Newark , & up north.. Hope to Chat further sometime..

Guy`s if you know any departments in the CNJ looking for a "Photog".. please send them to me, or let me know !!.. Thanks a Mill... Have fun.. :)

captclint

Mentor
Hey Guy`s,
Also Captclint, The Tones I was trying to say was for "Fire Pageing"(Alert)...Are they all on Auto, So when there is a Call Signal for a Response team to Go..
Fire Tone Out - The RadioReference Wiki Basically, you need to know the frequency used for paging, and then the A/B tone(s) for each fire/ambulance that you want to hear. If you don't know, then it can search. These are not in the DB, but might be in the wiki for
Middlesex County (NJ)

Note that you can not scan AND listen on the FTO frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.