• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2.5kHz not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMGRN901

Hello all,
I'm trying to program a Motorola Astro Spectra w4. (Model Number: D04KKF9PW4AN, FLASHcode: 510001-000000-7) I'm trying to input 151.1375 with a transmit deviation of 2.5kHz and a channel spacing of 12.5 kHz. When i go to write to the radio i get a message saying "The target radio does not support frequencies with a 2.5kHz spacing. please upgrade this radio's firmware".
I was told this radio is a Wide/Narrow band radio in the 14-178Mhz frequency range. I'm needing to know if I'm just doing something wrong or if this radio is not going to accept narrow band frequencies.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
There was a period when radios were manufactured to meet 12.5 Khz emissions, but could only handle the older channel steps of 5 KHZ. Then, the FCC came out with what are called splinter channels which fit in between the older channel allocations. Newer radios can be programmed in 2.5 KHz steps to provide these splinter frequencies.

So while your radio can meet narrowband emission requirements, it can't do the newer splinter channels such as the one you are trying to program.

More detailed info right here in RR's wiki on the matter: Narrowbanding - The RadioReference Wiki

If you do an internet search on splinter frequencies you will find many, many threads on this exact topic.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
would it be possible to just replace the rf board? or is this pretty much just a wide band radio?
I thought we made it pretty clear that your radio is a narrowband radio; just not capable of being programmed in 2.5 Khz steps to accommodate the newer "splinter" channels. There are a great many radio systems that do not use the splinter frequencies who can take full advantage of that unit's narrowband capability. Yours just is not one of them.

If you can find the right board, swap it out, and then get the firmware update necessary for 2.5 Khz steps, and have the whole radio re-tuned, I believe it is possible. However, given the large number of these radios that are now available at very modest prices on the used market, it likely won't be cost effective. Better to sell this one and purchase the right model for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.