County Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Folks - Just to let you know, I am going to start with Appling County and work my way up in cleaning up the Georgia databases. You may see some frequencies disappear due to expired licenses. If you notice something missing and it's still in active use, let me know and I'll see about doing further research on it.

Thanks!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Are you basing these changes solely on the existence of active licenses?

jackj

Not according to what he said but an agency that lets their license lapse is probably not using that frequency so that would be a logical starting point for updating the database.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Sure has been a lot of local input given into the Georgia database over the years, to just arbitrarily wipe it out in favor of who has a current license on what.

There is a LOT going on out there that is not on an FCC license, that was reported by others, that are simply not going to come back and repeat it again.

Save what you want from the Georgia RR database, quick!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I would suggest that the policy of not including frequencies based on an FCC licence only be considered in reverse that frequencies shouldn't be deleted based on an expired FCC licence.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Problem we run into is people will click on the license in the database and then it will come back and say it's EXPIRED or CANCELLED. I've had several people put in tickets for these and I have removed them. I don't see how we can keep an accurate database if jurisdictions are "bootlegging" on frequencies that they are not licensed on. I know many agencies that operate on VHF also use MURS for things like talk around/fire ground. So they are not licensed, but I take that into consideration. When the license has been cancelled/expired for 2-3 years........

Also, when I am verifying everything, I put in the county and search, normally, from 30-512 MHz (the TRS will come later). I have found multiple listings of frequencies not in RR and have active traffic on them. Folks in the areas where these are found may plug them in and say "hey, I found the tone for that one" and then we can update it.

I'm also trying to uniform the listings so when you move from one county to another, the same type layout will be there - i.e. some counties has 30+ frequencies/agencies, I will be breaking them out into individual sub sections.

Just trying to make things easier for us!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think I would run your idea past Tom in the Database Admin forum.

Just because an agency isn't licenced on a frequency, doesn't mean we delete it even if they are bootlegging.

lep

Mike: since my County stars with a "B" I guess you will be examining our listings soon. I will advise if you drop any that we are using. Don't forget however, that some frequencies in rural areas are used not-so-often until there is an Incident. Keeping the FCC data up-to-date is a job that we don't think is Real important in rural America, common attitude here is it is just bureaucratic requirement.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Problem we run into is people will click on the license in the database and then it will come back and say it's EXPIRED or CANCELLED. I've had several people put in tickets for these and I have removed them. I don't see how we can keep an accurate database if jurisdictions are "bootlegging" on frequencies that they are not licensed on.

So basically, the RR database is going to mimic the current FCC database from now on?

I know for a fact some cities and counties use freqs from other counties on occasion. I don't care if it is illegal or not, but they are doing it. They might not use it but twice a year, but it's in the scanner ready.

There are also systems leased by other entities that are used.

Regardless, I think it's an overzealous idea. I'd rather have too much than not enough. "Lockout" is pretty easy for me to use, if I happen to download a frequency is not used.

For people to report freqs they think are no longer used is pretty lame. I'm all for a complete and accurate database, but the way this is going is pretty counter-productive. Instead of getting a better database, you are trimming down some things that very well may be still used, since you can't "re-verify" it, and not giving anything back to it in return.

I also think this may serve to limit future database submissions somewhat, if it needs to be proven there is a valid FCC license for the submitted info. (If not, then why delete what was already submitted?)

RR database is unique in that there is personal input. Anyone can search the FCC database.

jackj

You folks are unreal...if RR followed what you say you want then 1710 KHz - AM would still be listed in the database as the dispatch frequency for the city of New York. Just because it used to be used for that.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I know for a fact agencies I've worked for or still work with use freq's that they never had a license for or the license is long expired, but its being used every day.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The unlicensed frequencies, for the time, will remain, but there will be a tag of UNLICENSED or EXPIRED added to the listing.

In a way, the RR Georgia database will resemble the FCC database, except we will show the actual usage, tones, channel numbers etc. FCC doesn't give you that.

It will also help in getting the Georgia Database to be the "flagship" of the databases by your help. If you see something that just says Police or Fire or anything else without a channel description, if it is in your neck of the woods where you can monitor it, put it in your scan list and discover what it is. That way, instead of just 1 person having the supreme knowledge of knowing what that one unknown frequency is used for, everyone will know! I take quite a few trips around Georgia and I load everything there is into my scanner so I can find new tones or usage of frequencies.

Only way the database will be excellent instead of just good, is by YOUR help. I'm just trying to make it look uniform and not sloppy like some other states.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I've completed A-C and have NOT deleted anything. If you are in the area of what has been completed, any help on tones, alpha tag or even DMR/NXDN layouts will be greatly appreciated.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
FYI, in Berrien County, the proper city name is "Ray City" not "Ray"

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Will you, or could you post "ENC" if it is known that Encryption is being used?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
If I know or it's already listed as ENCRYPTION, I will include that. There are some systems that people have submitted as Encrypted because it's either DMR or NXDN. Those would have to really be verified because as far as a scanner is concerned, it can't decode it.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Has there been any consideration into putting the proper GSP freq. in use for each county, with appropriate NAC, inside each counties database?

Status
Not open for further replies.