San SD chip upgrades 32 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are those who say a faster card equals less boot-up time for a scanner. That's from the time you turn the scanner on, it loads the Favorites Lists and actually begins scanning.

I have a "basic" 32GB card and my 16 Favorites Lists take about 10 seconds for the boot-up. I don't think that's too lengthy.

If you do a lot of recordings and transfer the recordings to a computer, I imagine a faster card might have benefits.

Like everything else it is a cost/benefit consideration.

alphaacres

Premium Subscriber
I have already done this for my 536HP and yes there is a improvement the best way to prove this is what I call the echo test use a 966 t or xt put next to a 536hp with same programing start with the original card 4gig class 4 or a 32gig class 4 I used the 32gig class 4 to start there will be an echo between the two because of the slow card slows the scanner down for recording next I went and got a faster card a 32 gig class 10 at 43 mbts a sec the echo was shorter but still there so I went and bought a new card 32gig class 10 at 90 mbts a second and the echo is very slight meaning faster is better and Uniden should say this in the owner's manual. The nice thing is that the cards are getting faster and the price cheaper.

stingray327

I have already done this for my 536HP and yes there is a improvement the best way to prove this is what I call the echo test use a 966 t or xt put next to a 536hp with same programing start with the original card 4gig class 4 or a 32gig class 4 I used the 32gig class 4 to start there will be an echo between the two because of the slow card slows the scanner down for recording next I went and got a faster card a 32 gig class 10 at 43 mbts a sec the echo was shorter but still there so I went and bought a new card 32gig class 10 at 90 mbts a second and the echo is very slight meaning faster is better and Uniden should say this in the owner's manual. The nice thing is that the cards are getting faster and the price cheaper.

So If I put in a San Disk 32 GB Class 10 90 MB I will see a big difference in load up times in HP-2 and 436 both of which now have 32 GB Class 10? Not sure of MB spec. but most likely lower than 90 judging by cost of chip.
Is the 90 MB the highest rating chip you can get for 32 GB class 10 card?

Triangulum

When some of you are talking about speed, do you mean strictly load-time? Or do you also mean that the SD card will increase actual scanning speed when the device is running?

stingray327

When some of you are talking about speed, do you mean strictly load-time? Or do you also mean that the SD card will increase actual scanning speed when the device is running?

Good question I know the loading time would be faster but I the scanning time is always set in the specs. something like 85 in the 436 or 100 in the HP-2. Can't remember which one is which spec. for each scanner.

When I upped from the OEM 4GG SD to a 16 I noticed the -Boot Up- was faster,,Much faster..Its a SanDisk Ultra SD..Ive got a 32,but have yet to load it up and pop it in.

Ultimately Ill max it out with a 64GB SD..But not there yet..

Can you elaborate,Why do you say the loading time is faster..I agree it is,But I dont know why..

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As I understand, the speed of the card relates only to the amount of time needed to read the data on the card into the scanner, such as at boot-up time. The same is true for writing data to the card, such as during recording and power-down.

Most of the experiences have been anecdotal "A faster card loads much quicker", but this hasn't been quantified "A class X card loads in 10 seconds and a class Y card loads in 5 seconds".

I may have seen other posts where a 64GB card was used, however the manual says up to 32 GB is supported. It would take an awful lot of recordings to fill up a 32 GB card let along a 64 GB card. At an average of 50KB per recording and 31 GB available for recordings, that's 620,000 recordings unless my math is wrong.

budevans

When I upped from the OEM 4GG SD to a 16 I noticed the -Boot Up- was faster,,Much faster..Its a SanDisk Ultra SD..Ive got a 32,but have yet to load it up and pop it in.

Ultimately Ill max it out with a 64GB SD..But not there yet..

Can you elaborate,Why do you say the loading time is faster..I agree it is,But I dont know why..

According to the specs in the user manual, the 436/536 scanners can use SD cards up to 32 GB. So you can't use a 64 GB.

Regarding reading and writing speed, that has to do with the Class rating. A Class 4 is rated at a Minimum of 4 MB/s. Class 10 is a Minimum of 10 MB/s.

Other factors impact the read and write speeds. Like file fragmentation. So if you do a lot of recording or make a lot of changes that are written to the SD. The data will fragment and the SD's R/W speed will slow down. In that case, to get the speed back reformat the SD and reload the data.

stingray327

According to the specs in the user manual, the 436/536 scanners can use SD cards up to 32 GB. So you can't use a 64 GB.

Regarding reading and writing speed, that has to do with the Class rating. A Class 4 is rated at a Minimum of 4 MB/s. Class 10 is a Minimum of 10 MB/s.

Other factors impact the read and write speeds. Like file fragmentation. So if you do a lot of recording or make a lot of changes that are written to the SD. The data will fragment and the SD's R/W speed will slow down. In that case, to get the speed back reformat the SD and reload the data.

So where does a 32 GB class one 95 MB card fit in? I wouldn't go higher than that per manual. How will it improve the scanner that already has a 32 GB Class one card? Is it worth $40.00 per chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.