Barefoot or Amped up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

A quick question... for those hams who use HF on a regular basis, do most use an amplifier or do most simply run barefoot (100W) like me? It sure is difficult to get though a pileup on just 100W sometimes. It took me three days of trying to get though to the special event Navassa Island DXpedition last month, and even then I think I just got lucky...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've personally never used an amp.. perseverance pays off

sent from an electronic device...

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber
I have 800 watts available but the amp isn't even hooked up anymore. I typically have my power set between 5 and 25 watts feeding various antennas including a well performing Hex Beam. This past weekend was a DX phone contest, I'm not a contester but I do participate. If propagation is good and you have decent antennas you can do quite well, I made all of my contacts, mostly Europe on 5 watts getting back 55 and 57 reports.

The best way to bust a pile up is to hold off your call a bit. Many stations will listen for a weaker signal and respond to it. Running legal power to make a contact just isn't a challenge but doing it by QRP is, in my opinion.

Token

Whatever it takes.

I have legal limit here, or easily over the legal limit if I wanted to. But I typically try to run lower power levels, sub 100 W, unless I just can't make it there.

At my listening desk in the living room (I monitor much more than I talk) there are 2 HF rigs, both 100 Watts, and a small amp, 800 W PEP. Most of my day to day ham operation is from that location and the amp has not been turned on in over a year.

In the radio room (converted spare bedroom) there are a few rigs, up to 200 Watts, and a couple of legal limit amps. I run in cycles with this gear, I might not touch it for several months, or I might use it weekly. It has been a couple of months since an amp was turned on in the radio room, and then it was for an AM net.

T!

elk2370bruce

Barefoot in the park is the way to go. It does take perserverence, a decent rig, and lots of attention paid to antennas. I've worked the world and a goodly number of DXpeditions on 75 to 100 watts on ssb. Most of us enjoy the challenge of talking with our toes out rather than frying clouds with kali-forn-ya kilowatts. Beyond ssb, the whole world of qrp is available via cw and data modes. Most recently, I was able to have a decent contact with a man on a cargo ship off the coast of Liberia using 5 watts PSK-31. The challenge, and the fun, never ends.

wbswetnam

Barefoot in the park is the way to go. It does take perserverence, a decent rig, and lots of attention paid to antennas. I've worked the world and a goodly number of DXpeditions on 75 to 100 watts on ssb. Most of us enjoy the challenge of talking with our toes out rather than frying clouds with kali-forn-ya kilowatts. Beyond ssb, the whole world of qrp is available via cw and data modes. Most recently, I was able to have a decent contact with a man on a cargo ship off the coast of Liberia using 5 watts PSK-31. The challenge, and the fun, never ends.

I agree with you on the PSK31... most of my best contacts have been in that mode, running @ 30 watts. I also know that my antenna isn't optimal (a folded dipole @ 30') but it's what I have to work with for now.

PrimeNumber

Barefoot all the way. I'm not a QRP'er, but I do run on a small solar power system. It would take a MAJOR hardware upgrade to run a real amp. Also, I do a lot of PSK31 and that doesn't take much RF power. Between that and regional rag chews, I don't need more than 100w.

Having said that, it was a lot of fun running legal power at a friend's shack during the CQ 160m contest a couple of weeks ago. Like driving a monster truck when your daily driver is a Civic.

KD8DVR

Never used an amp. Never will. A lot of people get the "good buddy mindset" and crank it up. I've broken pileups with my 100 watts. It is called work. In the military there is something called the "BiFFI" system. Brute Force and F#$#ing Ignorance. I choose to use finesse and persistence. It is more rewarding that way. Used properly, an amplifier is an effective tool like anything else. I've just seen too much abuse. Just a personal preference. They are legal, so those who like them, enjoy your hobby. 73

kj3n

For day to day operations, I use 100w. For generic contesting, I use 100w. For rare DX-peditions, I'll try at 100w, but if that's not working, the amp comes on.

k9rzz

Most of my almost 40 years on HF I've run the 100 watt class. A small amp in the 300 to 400 watt output range is sure handy some times and is a nice way to go. Helps you stand out without going crazy and also helps draw in the DX when calling CQ. Then, I've also guest operated some contest stations running at the "California Kilowatt" level and I must say, that sure can be fun too! =:^]

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Never used an amp 100 watts here with a TH6-DXX beam and do just fine with that setup.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
No amplifier here. I use 1 to 100 watts depending on the radio used and mode. I work the world with a vertical and an off center fed antenna system. If there is a pile up on phone I narrow up and adjust the TX audio to remove the bass tones. I am surprised sometimes that I make it through, but timing can be critical. I listen to how the operator changes their style and adapt. Much to often I will hear lids just throwing out their suffix right on top of the operator.

Before I would consider purchasing an amplifier, I would improve my antenna system. Everyone's situation is different, so what works for me may not work for them. Still, when I make a contact using 5 watts I smile. The disbelief comes in when I use 5 watts through a friends Mosley three element. It's pure enjoyment.

chrissim

I tried working EP6T with 100 watts through a hexbeam for 45 minutes with no luck. I powered on the amp and got them in two calls. I suppose it's how much you value your time.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
No matter how powerful your amp, the antenna system has to be the first improvement. Feeding high wattage into a poor antenna setup can do bad things to the radio transmit section. Spend the money outside first and then see if you still need more power.

chrissim

I'm yet to meet any serious DX'er that doesn't use an amp. But I do agree that a many element yagi will do you more good than any amp into a mediocre antenna.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Usually running 100 watts or less here into either a 40m horizontal loop or a G5RV Mini dipole (antenna-restricted community so both are in the attic) . I've used an amp in the past if I had one (and the situation called for it) but I generally never found it necessary. And since I started in with PSK31 and JT65HF, I really haven't even felt the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.