BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Can't connect to Uniden Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
So I've been scaling the learning curve on my new 436HP. I ordered it "Optimized", but the date in the bottom left corner of the Sentinel screen says database version 9/23/2013.

I tried to check for firmware & database updates, & I get "Unable to connect to Uniden server".

This is my first go at scanner programming via software.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
I just did a successful update so I know the issue isn't Uniden. From what I can tell, Sentinel connects to an ftp @mail.dcius.com to do updates.

I'd check to make sure that your outbound firewall is allowing connections to FTP (Ports 20, 21).

Voyager

Try temporarily lowering your internet security settings, perform the update, then raise the settings again.

Make sure you're using the latest version of Sentinel.

Voyager

SW version good. Did you try lowering the settings? I know that's worked for others.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
SW version good. Did you try lowering the settings? I know that's worked for others.
I just tried that and it worked!

Don't know why the database version on the radio was from September 2013. It now says 3/8/2015. I thought something was amiss when I noticed Ohio MARCS-IP wasn't in the database, when I've seen it on the website.

Thank you both for your help!

Voyager

Remember that once you update Sentinel, you must write the dB to the scanner for the scanner to use it. And you're very welcome.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Do I need to select "Force write full database"?

And after updating the db, will that also update anything in my Favorites List(s) that may have changed?

Last edited:

Voyager

You should not have to check the force write. But, if you notice the dB doesn't update, you can try the write again and force it. It doesn't hurt if you do check that box, though.

And no, your FLs will not be changed or updated.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
So if a department that I have in my FL changes frequencies, or adds a TG, that update in the db will not affect my FL? So I would have to go in and make the change in my FL "manually" to update it & add that new frequency or TG? Or would I re-write the FL somehow?

Been scanning a long time, but this software stuff kinda freaks me out a little.

Voyager

So if a department that I have in my FL changes frequencies, or adds a TG, that update in the db will not affect my FL? So I would have to go in and make the change in my FL "manually" to update it & add that new frequency or TG?

Correct. Sentinel has no way to know if the info is new, or if you changed your FL to correct bad info or clarify the name. So, you must manually update your FLs.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Okay - That clears that up.

I appreciate all your help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I continue the "baby steps" stage. This is all very humbling....

Thanks again, & enjoy the rest of your weekend!

cg

Premium Subscriber
FYI, I was unable to connect this morning as well I think it was around 930 - 945. It may not have been your settings.

chris

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
I connected fine a couple of days ago after lowering my firewall settings, and the db updated just fine. My comfort zone is expanding, albeit slowly!

Status
Not open for further replies.